September 7th, 2009

Palin calls news org 'heartless and selfish'

Since leaving office, Palin has been working on her memoirs.
Since leaving office, Palin has been working on her memoirs.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is calling the AP's decision to release a battlefield photo of a dying Marine over the family's objection "an evil thing to do."

In a Sunday night post on her Facebook page, the former Alaska governor called the photo released this week of Lance Corporal Joshua Bernard's dying moments on the battlefield in Afghanistan a "sacred image."

"Many of us join Secretary Gates in condemning the Associated Press for its heartless and selfish decision to turn its back on the wishes of a grieving family in order to exploit the tragic death of a true American hero," she wrote.

The release of the photo was "a despicable and heartless act by the AP," said Palin. "The family said they didn't want the photo published. AP, you did it anyway, and you know it was an evil thing to do.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Bernard family. …"

Palin has had limited public appearances since resigning the governor's office in July. Most of her comments have come via posts on her Facebook page.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. JayG

Some of you people on here are just wrong, Its like no matter what she says or what its about you find a way to attack Palin. And I'm not even a huge Sarah Palin fan. Grow up.

September 7, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. NJoying Ur Comments

I simply enjoy reading how much Sarah gets the "progessive" types all fired up. LOL. Nothing quite reflects so well that the "lefties" are truly terrified by her ideas and values.

Please keep up the good work. The nonsensical blather and the vitriol you type is always a good read.

September 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Stan

Whew!! If we could only package up all you socialist liberals ('progressives'! haha), and put you on a boat back to your own socialists/communist countries (Cuba, USSR, China), we'd be back to having a UNITED STATES that our patriotic founding fathers envisioned.

September 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. Wanderer

I respect freedom of speech, but the content of Mrs. Palin’s speech has always been extreme, not true, irrelevant, and contained many words that never parallel with her pretty face.

September 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. Greg

Please note, people, this is CNN telling us what is on her facebook blog. She has every right to say what she feels and post it for the world to see. It is your choice to read it or not.
    I agree AP should have not posted the photo over the family's wishes and I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities to show the public all of the gore and bloodshed they desire to see (one of many reasons I do not watch television).

September 7, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. g canada

what people get killed in wars

September 7, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. Ugh!

What Palin thinks (or doesn't) is of no consequence to anyone. Is CNN going to do articles on every person's opinion in this country? Palin is not a player in the political realm and her thoughts, opinions, statements, speaking venues, and movements should all be kept out of the news. She is a nobody and a quitter who will never play with the big boys because she buckles under pressure.

I also didn't like this photo being released to the public, but I could care less what Palin thinks.

September 7, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. Phil

Everything is evil according to Palin. Why we even pay attention to this has-been is beyond me.

September 7, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. Katie

Why do we care what Palin thinks?

September 7, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. Stan

You socialist communists seem to think its your right to see our heroic soldiers die on the field. If you dont already know what its like, why dont you join the armed services and fight the war...instead of clawing to see (and complain) about it in the media. Thats what cowards do.

September 7, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. Susan

So Facebook is her medium now..........
    I am 100% sure that somebody else might be writing those stuffs as well as her coming book.

September 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. Steve

Why does CNN keep reporting about this idiot. She is a private citizen. She resigned as Governor of Alaska, basically a quitter. She is uneducated. Can't properly construct a sentence and yet you keep her in the news. Who cares what she says or thinks. If she can even think. Stop giving her news coverage. No other news outlet covers her, so why should CNN?

September 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Beth

Sara Palin is evil-–so I guess she is an authority.

September 7, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. Kelsey

Sarah Palin is such a moron who is irrelevant to politics. We need to see the reality of war and its consequences. Showing the pictures is the right thing to do.

September 7, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  15. Brian

That's the last straw. I'm out, CNN! Giving this woman any press is a waste of airtime and bandwidth. If you need me, I'll be over at the NPR website.

September 7, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  16. Russell

Palin no doubt prefers the "good ol' days" of the Civil War, World War I, and World War II, when battlefield photos were staged for effect.

September 7, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. Andrew Webster

Comparing a picture of a dying Marine in battle to her opinion on a Harry Potter movie is in itself disrepectful! A Harry Potter movie? Give me a break!

That being said, Palin does need to accept that she is yesterday's news, and just go away.

September 7, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. mk

She speaks of evil a lot, is she intimately aquainted with evil? I thought she was exercised a couple of years ago by her witch doctor pastor?

You know what I think is evil? Self proffessed religious people who claim that my God is okay with them praying for our President to die. My God is not okay with that, My God is a loving God who deplores hate and ignorance. My God also wants to stay out of politics and stay in the business of helping people who want to live a free and decent life.

Now, I am a private citizen, just like granny Palin and if I put my comments on my facebook page, in the middle of the night, is cnn going to pick up on it and make a headline? Why not? Is it because hate speech sells? I am beginning to think that is that the case. Get granny out of the limelight and we will all be better for it.

September 7, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  19. MC

We NEED occasional pics like this to keep the war "front & center". Without them, our brave soldiers sacrifices seem like the numbers on the gas pumps edging higher. A short distraction, then business as usual.

September 7, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. MJ

This was a horrible invasion of the rights of this Soldier and his family. His family pleaded not to release the photos. I have a son who has been in the Military for almost 20 years. This is not be how any Soldier should be remembered. Shame on those who thought differently. My heart goes out to his family. Take your camera and put it where the sun doesn't shine!

September 7, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  21. Me

Evil is slaughtering innocent wolves from a helicopter.

September 7, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. Nini

How selfish and arrogant AP.

September 7, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  23. JD

I had not heard of this story. Is it crass of me to think that that is precisely why Palin said this? She has to know that thousands more people will search out this picture, now that she has brought it to light. She also knows that the Afgan war is a stone around Obama's neck. Could she be deviously encouraging people to look at the picture and further drive down Obama's support? Or is she genuinely angry about it? I wouldn't put anything past this person.

September 7, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. William

Ignore this stupid woman, AP. (as if you wouldn't anyway). It's about time the media starts showing Americans what war is really all about: people dying and often horribly. As much as I feel for this family, it is not for them to say whether a news photograph is published.

September 7, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  25. Me

Can't wait to get a copy of the Sarah Palin memoirs brochure!

September 7, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |