September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. Mark Kahle

You Wilson are a true moron, and don't deserve to be re-elected. Respect goes both ways, and you Wilson deserve NONE.

September 9, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  2. BJ

Too late, too late. Just by saying you were "too emotional" says a lot about you and your ability to work together with Democrats for the GOOD OF THE PEOPLE OF THE COUNTRY AND NOT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. I certainly hope you don't get re-elected because we don't need people like you in our Congress.

September 9, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  3. ATL Guy

Had a Democrat done this to Bush he would've been labeled as unpatriotic and un-American. Seems like the Republicans can see only the truth they want to see. This behavior was despicable.

September 9, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  4. tr

Well that's an understatement and though we appreciate your apology I doubt it's sincere.

September 9, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. Rich

Poor, but better than nothing. This behavior is reprehensible! It's time to restore respect to the Office of the President. Dis-agreee if you must, but ALWAYS with respect.

September 9, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  6. Mike

Just another classy example of the unprofessional people we have representing our state of SC. Sanford and Wilson, great role models...

September 9, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  7. aaron B.

What grade are you in Mr. Wilson?

September 9, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  8. Timothy Condon

Joe Wilson provided a perfect example of the partisan bickering President Obama is talking about.

September 9, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. bam

Wilson represents the latest breed of neocons – representatives of profits-at-any-cost corporations (including the insurance industry) who have lost all sense of integrity and responsibility to the American people.

September 9, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  10. hgmma

He must be censured!

September 9, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  11. Sharon- Birmingham, Al

.... lack of civility... reminiscent of townhalls..... the republicans are embarrassing our country around the world. Absolutely no respect whatsoever for this President.

September 9, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  12. dave

Apology not excepted.

September 9, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  13. Post always rejected by CNN

All he did is show that republicans are low class and characterless.

September 9, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  14. Barbara J Thompson

sure u do

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  15. M'villeBob, Missouri

"Lyin" Joe Wilson appears to be jerk. Citizens of SC must be proud of him, especially those in Columbia where he resides.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  16. Dan, WA

Joe, no need to apologise. It is important confront him now before we lose our healthcare and our savings.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  17. suesnapps

You embarrassed not only yourself, but the GOP. Resign now.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  18. Duke

Let me re-write your apology.

On behalf of my party, I apologize for showing my ass tonight to the president and more importantly my country. I will now resign my position and crawl back under the rock of obscurity which I never should have left.

I think that's what Joe really meant to say.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  19. Robert J. Zeman

Not enough. He should resign.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  20. TARA

should never have happened....very immature behavior and poor role modeling.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  21. Gambi, SC

Your done Joe, and that goes for Sanford and De Mint. Enough is enough! Someone else will do a better job and restore civility and respect to this State.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  22. Mike F.

What a Disgrace Joe Wilson (R) SC is to the U.S. congress. Never in recent history has a sitting member of congress blatantly attacked a president during a joint session. True most democrats didn't approve of our former president George W. Bush, but I can't think of one instance in which he was called a liar by a fellow politician during a speech of such grave importance as this one.

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  23. bella

Thank you Mr. Wilson for your apology! Now, it would be really respectful, if you would contact President Obama, and apologize to him in person! Honestly!! You Republicans just don't get it!! You have lost RESPECT of yourself and everyoneelse. And to be quite frank, THAT IS THE REASON THIS HEALTHCARE REFORM AGENDA HAS TURNED INTO A CIRCUS!! You are an adult person, not a child! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!

September 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  24. dl

it would be nice if our elected officials could control themselves with act with a bit of decourum & maturaity...very sad to see this is what our country has come to. Pretty much pathatic

September 9, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  25. vic nashville , Tn

Now we know who organize to disturb the town hall meeting

September 9, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |