September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. jim

whatever you are a loser you knew what you were doing

September 9, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  2. Jack

I hope Representative Wilson gets censured from the House. His remarks were reprehensible and completely out-of-line tonight. Just because he apologized doesn't mean he should get away scot free.

September 9, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  3. Lisa J in AZ

Shameful and regrettable, to be sure. An apology was the only politically prudent thing he could do.

September 9, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. Trey

Representative Wilson,

Your actions were disgraceful and they tarnish the image of your state. It was disrespectful to President, the House, to the Senate and to the United States. It was more than a "lack of civility" and your apology is lukewarm at best.

My five-year-old son displays more self control - and more respect for this country, it seems - than a member of Congress. Shame, sir, shame.

September 9, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. Roberta

Resign. Congress doesn't need people like you to slow it down.

6. Dee Ambrosini

A question for the republican party..."have you no shame?"

7. Michael

This man hasn't enough control of his emotions to be a state represenative.

8. Shelly

Disgusting behavior towards a democratically elected President of the United States. Is this what defines the true character of our country? Is this what we are becoming? When did we forget becoming Americans and start becoming such uncivil barbarians?
    THE WORLD IS WATCHING!
    He should apologize to the President and the American people!

9. Colorado

I don't believe you.

10. ex-South Carolinian

Disgusting. What is going on with S. Carolina politicians? Frist the gov, now this backwards idiot. I guess he thought he was showing restraint by not throwing out the "n" word. I've never seen such a lack of respect for a president, and you are a fool if you don't think race is a part of it. Disgusting.

11. Rochelle

Joe Wilson is unfit to serve in the Congress. In my book, what he did by disrespecting the President of the United States disrespects all Americans. My family was living in South Carolina before the Revolution and fought to win this country's independence. I'm outraged that somebody like Joe Wilson is representing the state to which my family contributed their lives. I will surely work to make sure he is not re-elected.

12. Jon

Too late Joe, You've revealed what a low class trailer park resident that you really are.

13. Todd

You know, I am so tired of people being sorry. Be competent!

14. Earl in FL

As an Obama supporter, thank you for taking responsibility for inappropriate conduct - and let's hope more Republicans follow suit.

15. Dwayne

What exactly does he disagree with in the statement? What makes people think illegals are included? I think he disagrees with who the president is, that's the root of the problem.

16. Nancy Miller

Congressman Wilson admitting that" your emotion got the best of you tonight" is a serious concern. I don't feel confidate that when an important vote comes you'll react emotionally and vote that way. Emotion are just emotion, never Facts.

17. chascates

Emotions got the best of you? Maybe you just can't read. The House bill, H.R. 3200, excludes anyone who is not a legal resident of the United States from coverage of extended insurance provisions. Section 246 reads, “Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States.”

18. D Tracy

We wonder why the town halls turned into a circus?

19. Paul S

What a tool...see, I can say that because it's not interrupting a joint session presidential address. Which party acts on emotion rather than logic?

20. kits

Why? You are a hero, #1 Trend on Twitter! We agree with you. Obama IS lying all the time. I wish everyone in that room would have the courage to say it. You would all be heros to MOST Americans.

September 9, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  21. brendan

it was a regrettable occurence. Its good to see that the congressman had the civility to apologise. The proposal is just out of the oven so I think its too early to say it's a lie so soon. If more precise wording needs to be included to effectively make this watertight then thats what should be said. You need a much better reason for calling the president of the united states a liar.

September 9, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  22. William in Mount Dora FL

The health care bill explicitly says there will be no coverage for illegal immigrants. What was his problem?

September 9, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  23. Nevada dude

Oh sure now that he's been found out, all of a sudden he grows a conscience. Not so easy to behave immaturely when everyone knows your name, is it wilson?

the Repugs have hit an all-time low, this after all the hijinks over the summer. The country is disgusted with them and will let them know next november

September 9, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  24. South Bay

joe has no class. I have no respect for him.

September 9, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  25. John P.

That was so disrespecful, and that's coming from a Republican.

September 9, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |