September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. Adam G

Wow. South Carolina must be really proud with their elected officials lately (actually, that's probably true). How rude, disrespectful and embarrassing. It speaks to America, though, that he had the right to do it. What people don't learn, though, is that free speech doesn't prevent you from looking like a donkey's behind.

2. lara

If this doesn't cement my utter disgust for the republican rancor and general discontent they continue to foment rather then SOLUTIONS I can't imagine what will. Distractions, chaos, and hate that is all they have to offer when we need to build our country UP! I have one question for Mr. Wilson, I will not afford him any other moniker, What do you do? What are you good at that can benefit our country? Nothing from where I stand just partisan dribble. One thing to do is IGNORE him.

3. Dennis Brown

I would like to know why he was so emotional? Very strong feelings that are not based on facts. I think he needs to ask himself, why?

4. tabitha

This is the problem with the republican party they act like lunatics and no respect to the office of the president i am independent and no matter who the president is we should respect if the leaders of our country are now being respectfull to the office of the president it shows that america is going on the wrong direction the GOP party need to get themselves together and become the party of abraham lincoln its a shameful thing to watch i am so ashamed at the republican party

5. Dean Stritter

We had the same type of outbursts when the civil rights bill was under consideration. This is a sad commentary on the state of our nation and our ability to compromise on the most serious issues.

6. Billy

I'm sure his true emotions got to him...and it wasn't about illegal immigrants. Wonder if he yelled "You lied" at Bush and Cheney for the WMD lie.

7. Jeffc6578

Joe Wilson painted the republican party as a group of classless, disrespectful people with his outburst.
    I doubt he would have apologized unless the republican leadership realized what a PR nightmare he is going to be, and I doubt seriously that he's sincere.

8. Wayne, Greenville TX

Joe Wilson deserves to be voted out of office next year.

9. Allen

Something more needs to be done by or to this embarassment of a congressman. Mr. Wilson continues to set bad examples for our youth by behaving horribly and expecting to get by with a lame "I'm sorry". Unfortunately however Mr. Wilson is merely a simple minded representation of his equally simple minded and backward state of South Carolina. The U.S. was better off without the Palmetto State.

10. LDK Austin

Joe Wilson is not fit to sit in Congress. He has no character. What kind of state is South Carolina anyway – Joe Wilson and Mark Sanford. Sorry for any people of character who may live there. But, stand up and shun these losers. Demand their resignation now. Shameful.

11. Mike Feldman

What a crass idiot. As a U.S. Congressman he should no better. I would like to see a written apology to the president, or better a televised one. These GOP sore losers are making our country look worse and worse each day.

12. yappy

my God, that guy was a complete jerk . I don't want to hear his apology I want him fired. People like that have got this country in the muck. Just devide us... Please.... just DEVIDE us.

13. steven

What can you expect from Republicans? Civility? Respect? Truth? Nope.

14. E Jay

It's kinda too late to put the genie back in the bottle. Emotions are what has caused the decay of civil discourse on health care. I would hope that someone who's a member of Congress would, at least, show deference to the Presidential Office or position or title or whatever label you wish to put on it. Even if you did not hold the person holding the label in high regard. It's a shame that our society, one that is supposedly Christian, is behaving the way we are nowadays.

15. Julie

Joe Wilson can expect millions of people across the nation to fund his opponent's campaign in the next election!

16. Carolyn

Apologize to the AMERICAN PEOPLE as well.

The president has made it crystal clear he wants an ADULT discussion of this issue, so if you want to argue a point, try following his LEAD.

17. Dave

H.R. 3200: Sec 246 — NO FEDERAL PAYMENT FOR UNDOCUMENTED ALIENS

Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States

...someone's a liar and it ain't the President.

18. rapotat

While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable...
    -------------------------

In other words, he is still saying President Obama is a liar - he only regrets the venue in which he spoke.

This is the same man that recently praised Palin for her comments on the death panels.

September 9, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  19. D Holla

I have never seen anything so low class as this. How can a Congress even one from the backward state of South Carolina heckle a President. We didn't see anything close to this level ignorance during the Bush years. And yes Bush was a straight up liar, yet the Democrats showed respect to his office. Independents and moderates are taking note of the barbarism.

September 9, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  20. JCP

You are now the liar! There, how does that feel? Mr. Strum Thurmond's left over.

September 9, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  21. mary fox

Your apology is not accepted. That behavior is not only unbecoming of a US Congressman, it's shameful and a pattern of disrespect for our President. Shame on you and your party. Seriously? You are afraid to expose your kids to the President's inspirational "stay in school" message and then act like a two year old? You Republicans have no credibility left.

September 9, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  22. William

That's what happens when idiots are elected to office.

September 9, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  23. Michael Loftin

GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina should be Censured by the Congress and the Senate. He should be banished from the floor for the remainder of his term.

September 9, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  24. Southern Ohio

You weren't the only one who "showed' themselves tonight! Unbelievable, is this the way republicans act.

September 9, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  25. Cindy Baker

Rep. Joe Wilson showed total disrespect for his own office by acting in such a manner in the Congressional Chamber. These are supposed to be the "level headed leaders of this wonderful country." The total disrespect for the President of the United States, regardless of his beliefs, is unforgivable.
    Cindy Baker