September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. Crystal Oates

I feel that GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina should not only apologize, he should be issued a huge fine and be reprimanded for his behavior!!!!!

September 9, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  2. SaintGenesius

Well said Rep. Wilson. Now please do us all a favor and resign from the Congress and never again enter public service. You are clearly unfit.

September 9, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  3. Charles

that was disgusting and while his apology is accepted, you should never disrespect any president like that.

As an independent, I'm very proud of President Obama tonight. I had a lot of questions and concerns about his health care plan and what he expects and now I feel comfortable letting the president sign a health care bill this year. He made me feel proud to be an American again and it's unfortunate that in the same room, GOP Rep. Wilson is there to say such a rude and uncalled for comment to the President of the United States.

I think the President and anyone who will work with him are taking this country in the right direction with health care. You can tell Obama's heart is in this unlike what I get from the republicans.

September 9, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  4. Reese - MD Independent

Not accepted!

September 9, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  5. Mike Lowthorp

Joe, I'm disappointed that you apologized. I stood and cheered your comment. I thought finaly, someone with courage

September 9, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. Julie

Sorry, but it's not excusable. We look to elected officials to be thoughtful in thier comments. You were inflammatory. We need a compromise and your type of comment makes that harder and harder to achieve. If you can't work well in a group, then you shouldn't be in your position. While the aftermath may be embarassing to you, it's more embarassing to the rest of us who believe in non-partisan approaches to address our country's key issues.

7. Ray Garcia

Sounds like he is out of ideas. Again.

8. Woody

I didn't realize republicans had emotions.

9. Greg

You're still calling him a liar in your apology. That's some apology Joe. Step down you low class teabagger. Yes he does believe in death panels too. In an op-ed he supported Palin's claims.

10. Tracy

The president does lie...but he should be treated with respect. I am glad Rep. Wilson apologized. Now, I wish the president would also do the honorable thing and resign. Then, we'd be 2 for 2 for today!

11. Christopher Regan

I wonder if emotional counselling will be covered under the health car plan.

12. GOPHater

Gee, a republican from South Carolina, figures. Idiots.

13. Clint H

I'm donating alot of money to make sure Joe Wilson doesn't ever get elected again. PERIOD. Good Luck JOE... you are going to need it.

14. Richard

As usual, a Republican "apology" is nothing but. He now says he "disagrees" with the statement? Obama said something that is factually true. First this idiot Congressman called him a liar, which makes no sense, and now is saying he disagrees with a fact? How does someone like Joe Wilson get elected? We have so much work to do to perfect our democracy.

15. Sebrina Y Brown

Joe, I forgive you but it was indeed highly disrespectful. As a trained professionaly, you lacked a high regard of restraint tonight. Your disdain for the president's plan is apparent. Again, I forgive you.

16. Erik in Iowa City

It's hard to trust the judgment of people who are guided solely by their emotions, but at least he apologized and showed that he recognizes this.

17. Richie

The emotions of which he speaks are those of fear and hate of people of color (e.g. the President).

18. Emigdio Vasquez

Why the apologize? If there is now enforcement like in California the lack of e-verification than what is to stop people from exploiting are entitlements.

19. ledia

I am tired of apologies. Seriousl!!!!!

20. donna

It's time civility return completely. The degrading behavior is out of control & those making a living doing this should be ashamed of themselves. We are supposed to be a progressive, educated, and elite society and yet politics has become worse then the actors in a wrestling event. When will we teach the youth and young adults of this country and the world how to behave?

21. Lynne

Joe Wilson needs to apologize further or clearly prove that what the President said was inaccurate.

22. Angela in Denver

I am just sick and tired of Republicans.

September 9, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  23. Any adult who "lets their emotions get the best of them"

Here here! Get this man out of the US House of Representatives. He has no character, no ability to read the bills, and is full of lies and apologies for Sarah Palin's comments. This man is no man, he is a child with fantasies instead of facts.

Get him out of Congress, and back to the back woods of SC.

Republicans, stand up and censure this man.

September 9, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  24. mscottdjh

Sadly his outburst is typical of the Republican lack of civility. They have spent the summer engaging in actively deceiving the American people and stoking phony outrage in an effort to prevent any reform of health insurance. They have consistently put partisian politics above their commitment to American citizens. Two months ago I would have been outraged. After continuously watching these disgusting displays, I'm just sad.

September 9, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |