September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. Oona

Your behavior tonight was deplorable, completely disrespectful to the Office of the President and to We the People of the United States who tuned in to hear our Commander in Chief deliver a message. Not only should you apologize to President Obama personally, but to me and all your fellow Americans for acting like a disruptive child in class. We came to learn. Your motives on the other hand remain known only to you! If you were a student in school you would have been carted off to the Principals' office and given detention for disrupting class. Where are your manners? How dare you behave so rudely and crudely! I dare say you showed no class and basically showed nothing but your own ignorance! SHAME ON YOU!!!

2. Nick

Joe Wilson, Really thank you on behalf of everyone who wants health care reform. Thank you for putting a face on the other half of the argument. That of people like myself who want to discuss the issue and people like you. Simpleminded lackwits who struggle to function in society because they do not have the ability to discuss things like adults and instead spout off like frat boys at a kegger. And I like keggers. But you sir, are a moron and deserve to be treated like one.

3. Lisa from Tampa

You call that an apology? "I let my emotions get to me?" Oh please–totally disrespectful. The apology was far from heartfelt and conveyed with a backhanded tone. South Carolina–where do you get these fools? Not only should he apologize to the President....he and his party should apologize to the American people for the hateful rhetoric they have been spewing all summer.

4. Gentwelve

Anger and hate will destroy us, we better get our act together.

5. Jkay - KCMO

Your outburst was absolutely childish. You are a Senator???? An adult in the Congress???? You embarassed America.

6. Diane Dagenais Turbide

How about stating the truth also about this bill not paying for illegal immigrants!!!!!

7. Ann Burns

Mr. Wilson – the President may accept your apology – but I won't. You were completely disrespectful to the President and you did a disservice to the Republican party, the House of Representatives and the concept of civil debate. Shame on you. You do not deserve your seat in Congress. Is this what the Republican party is now? The party of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Birthers and Town Hall crazies who heckle anyone who disagrees with them? Again, shame on you.

8. john vines Florida

Wilson(and i wont ever use the word,Mr.)should have been escorted out of the room and booted in the seat of his pants at the door.
    John R.Vines
    A very proud liberal

9. Sebrina Y Brown

Joe, I forgive you but it was indeed highly disrespectful. As a trained professional, you lacked a high regard of restraint tonight. Your disdain for the president's plan is apparent. Again, I forgive you.

10. John

I see that the spirit of Preston Brooks is still alive in South Carolina.

11. rick

while we except your apologize, that emotional factor is what scares me the most...

12. Dex Houston TX

Get lost Joe
    I think God everyday for shining the light of truth on the Republican party....they are the party of hate and lies!

13. James O. Smith

I remain hopeful the entire republican party becomes extinct at the next election. These people cannot even begin to keep their mouths shut in the halls of Congress with the President speaking. Totally disgraceful.

14. kevin

it figures.....the republicans can lie about "death panels" and then have the gall to try an showboat the president during a joint session speech. Countinues to prove they will say and do anything to win. Shame

15. Steph

Not only is he rude...he is wrong. The President has NEVER suggested that illegal immigrants get health insurance. Immigrants here LEGALLY would be allowed to buy coverage...just like Americans who live and work in other countries are able to get health coverage in those countries.

Rude and stupid is no way to go through life, sir!

16. westernnebraska

Wilson should be embarrassed. Enough of the hate, the scare tactics, the childish behavior.

17. Well

too late. Your actions are indicative of all the GOPers of late. You crossed the line big time. I for one am fed up, and will be supporting your opponent. I will not forget this happened.

18. Annette

If I were to tell the CEO of the company I work for that she was a liar, or that she was lying, in front of her entire staff – I would be looking for another job. This was beyond "regretable" – It was disrepectful and a slap in the face to our President. I plan to write to his office, my congressman's office and the White House to express my outrage. The conservatives are digging their own graves and representatives of their party who behave like this just speed up the process. SHAME ON YOU. I would be embarressed to live in South Carolina tonight.

19. James Lusin

What else can the public expect from these Republican congressmen? The state of civility in our country is pretty sad, and I directly blame the Republican party and their media hacks for the current state of affairs. First, Republicans try to stop the President from giving an inspirational speech to schoolchildren. The next night, a Republican breaks one of the sacred values of respecting the President. I want my kids to respect everyone and to have an open mind... I don't want my kids to be victims of the Republican Party!

20. Ann

The Congressman is lying. The bill has a provision not to include health care for illegal aliens. The Media has a great opportunity to call this guy out but they won't. He totally disrepected the chamber. And it is his true deep feelings about the President came out that no matter what idea to help improve the life of the average American his hate will keep him from working with the President to do the right thing.

21. dee

Shows how ignorant and disrespectful the republicans are very low class.

22. Boss Wheel

You can forget about being a President ever.

23. Craig

What a disgrace. Shows how childish the Republican party has acted all summer.

24. Gloria

I'm sick and tired of these people acting inappropriately and thinking they can simply say "I'm sorry" and it's forgotten.

There is no excuse for that type of behavior to our president!!!

This covert racial behavvior is totally unacceptable!!!

Gloria