September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. MotherRedDog

You just said what we all were thinking. Obama called us liars and he called Palin a liar 30 seconds before you lost it. I don't see how anyone kept their cool that long. I'm sick of being called a racist, liar, evil-monger and anything else the democrats care to throw our way. Someone needs to stand up for the American people. This is getting old. Joe Wilson 2012

September 9, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  2. pacaschera

Joe, you're not really sorry you just do want to take the heat for your class-less act. You are not fit for public office.

September 9, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  3. KC

Rep. Wilson is like school on Saturday...No class!

4. Darrell Burks

Censure would be appropiate. What a disgrace

5. Brian-Pa

HA.. and all the conservative extremists on that other news source are praising the fact that he spoke out and ripped up McCain for denouncing his interruption. No class. Sit, listen, and if you disagree, if you think he lied. Then prove it afterwords and make news. If your wrong, then you didn't just make a fool out of yourself did you?

No Class.

What ever happened to civil dissagreements?

6. Justin

He left out that his outburst was WRONG. Current proposals specifically exclude illegal immigrants from taxpayer-supported coverage.

Not only is Rep. Wilson a blowhard, he's ignorant of the facts.

7. Keith in Austin

Pelosi looked like a librarian prude!

8. rachel

Too late Wilson your toast.

9. Elizabeth Ireland

As you most certainly should, Mr. Wilson. If you cannot treat the President of the United States with the respect due his office, then you, sir, should not BE in office.

10. Joe

Mr. Wilson this act was disgrace for all of us. I think you should resign so the health care debate will go on.

11. Allen Tunnell

Apology accepted, Congressman, but you will never be a Clay or Webster, only a footnote to history and someone who showed no class and disgraced yourself, your district, and MY STATE!. Also, just to let you know, I'm not in your district but as soon as i can get through to your opponent's website tonight (for some reason it's crashing...lol), I plan to contribute and spend some weekends helping the campaign. This Country does NOT need you in Congress, sir.

12. Emigdio Vasquez

Why apologize? If there is no enforcement like in California the lack of e-verification than what is to stop people from exploiting are entitlements.

13. Loretah Wilkerson

How can an Rep. like you be so ignorant ? The President is such a great man, trying to get every one Health Care. You owe more than an apology, you need to resign, loose your job and Health Care! Loretah Wilkerson

14. Brian

Wilson is a disgrace and embarrassment to his constituents. He should resign.

15. Steve from WI

Well hey, it was only during a joint session of Congress televised live across the nation. I think we've all made idiots of ourselves at one or two of those.

16. marq

He was wrong and rude. Reguardless if you disagree or agree he is still the President of the USA!

17. Lance

How could you disagree with the statement when all the draft bills explicitly address that issue? Maybe you have not read them? Sounds like it. Your emotions were clearly about some other issue not the presenting one.

18. Dawn Pentenrieder

The citizens of South Carolina should be outraged by the behavior of their congressman. Shame on him!

19. casey almonte

This person proved himself classless, tasteless, and thoughtless. I imagine his parents and family are understandably hanging their heads in shame at his sophomoric display of selfishness, and rightfully angry that he has shamed their name. It is a national disgrace that someone who's supposed to represent the best of what our country represents is so shallow, and worst yet that some of us are so barbaric as to condone such a childish display in the same halls that our great forefathers built. A shame on our house, a shame on us all.

20. Darren

Your Worthless!!!!!

21. Naima

Joe Wilson should resign. His rude and ignorant outburst has no place in US leadership. He is a disgrace and is no better than the rural school districts which "preview" a presidential speech from a president with a Harvard Law School and Columbia U education.

22. fastrack1

Obviously, if Mr. Wilson's parents are still alive, they're probably wishing they (or he) were dead. I'm the daughter of a woman raised in the South. My mother would have washed my mouth out for with soap, right after she slapped me across the face, for shouting disrespectfully to the Preside of the United States, whether I (or she) agreed with the man's politics or not. Emotions got away from ya? Nah, you just took advantage of a captive audience to demonstrate what bad losers those on The Right have become.

23. tooteaching

Not nearly good enough. I never saw a Democrat or a Republican act that disrespectfully to a sitting President during an address. Representative Wilson deserves to at least be censured. Even better, he should lose some committee assignments.

24. Anonymous

No good enough. These elected officials in SC are out of control and need discipline!

25. Debbie

Sorry, Mr. Wilson. Your apology is worthless. No person worthy of representing the American people would show the disrepect you so easily showed tonight. I am not from SC, but will happily donate to your opponent – you need to be in a different line of work.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12