September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. Harry

I think like Mr. van Jones, he should be removed from his seat for not only disrespect to the president but for the high office it represents. Also That was not an apology , it was another jab at the wrong time wrong place

September 9, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. mike

shame on you rep. wilson. i have never seen such disrespectful and inappropriate behavior in all my years. i hope the voters of sc take notice of what kind of poor representative you are and vote you out. you are the reason nothing can ever get done in washington for the good of the people!!

September 9, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  3. Cry me A River GOP

While its goo d you apologized– you should also apologize for your republican friends total immature behavior during the president's speech such as Eric Cantor texting while the president was speaking– such total disrespect

September 9, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. charles Kirya

How long will our leaders do stupid things and moments later say they let emotions take over. we look up to our leaders but if they act this way infront televisions then, i think the young generation is in trouble and the worst is yet to come for this great nation. No wonder, the debates have degenerated.

September 9, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  5. Tesap;Savannah, GA

Ummm too late!

6. Judy

I wonder how many laws and policies he has let his emotions vote for or against for the people of South Carolina. What a sad time we live in!

7. Darlington

Now he's apologizing for his reckless and uncivilized attitude, this is the problem with this right wing illiterates. It's a shame what this country has become in a short amount of time" when you don't have respect for the president" how wld you have respect for ordinary citizen and even yourself, It's a shame!!!

8. Jennell

Now that he's apologized for the outburst, SOME INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER should present the FACTS regarding illegal aliens in the health bill. GEEE..I wonder where we might find one.

9. Jeff

You can't take that back. Control yourself!

10. J

Uh uh. You are hereby dubbed Congressman Spazpants for one full year.

11. Forest N

I think if he hates the way the government is going so much he should just secede...again.

12. Bert Jones

No excuse. Joe Wilson should resign immediately.

13. Brittney, Virginia

I am disgusted by his actions. He is an adult, he should never have behaved that way. This is exactly why people are turned off by Republicans. It's that kind of idiotic and dispicable behavior. I don't care how angry he got he was completely out of line. George Bush did a lot of things that members of Congress disagreed with but never did some one yell out "You Lie" to him during a joint session of Congress! This just makes me want to continue to vote for Democrats and to do whatever I can to help the President get healthcare passed, and I'm not even a Democrat, I'm an Independent!

14. Edward Witt

Apparently the Congressman thought he was at a health care
    town hall meeting rather than in the House of Representatives.
    Nonetheless, give him credit for apologizing for his rudeness.

15. Jason

You made an ass of yourself

16. jts

At best he's a bigot. At worst he's a racist. Is anyone surprised that a middle aged white guy from the south thinks its okay to yell and call the first AA POTUS a liar during a world wide televised address to Congress? Why do people continue to suggest that there is no element of racism at the base of the criticisms and opposition to Pres. Obama? Wilson's hate so overwhelmed him that he could not contain himself. So sad.

I don't mean to paint all southern white men with a broad brush, but if you look at his profile on the Congressional website, that is the profile you would expect of someone with so little respect for a black man of any position that he would yell and call the POTUS a liar during his speech.

17. Lisa

Great job Obama!! He's just a greedy, selfish republican that will eventually will get over it once the bill is passed.

Health Care for Everyone YAY!!! Let's do it!!!

18. Jeff

Joe Wilson's outburst was completely out of line and inappropriate. It's another example of the closed-mindedness of the right wing conservatives. The are hell-bent on denying reasonable discussion on the topic of healthcare and it's of little wonder why a diminishing group of americans can identify with them.

President Obama said it precisely of their scare tactics...."they would be laughable if they weren't so cynical and irresponsible".

Another fantastic speech!

19. Bill from CA

Now if only the rest of the GOP will follow suit for their 'lack of civility' during this whole health care debate.

20. Stephen in PA

Emotions my rear end. This guy had been fed too much Beck and Limbaugh. If I was from South Carolina, I'd call this guy out for sheer panic attacks.

21. nijode

He made the apology now he should make the case. I believe that he is wrong and that the President is correct. But I would like to hear why Mr. Wilson does not. But in any event this guy needs to learn better manners.

22. kelly

No apology can wash away the disgrace you have brought to the United States. You are the epitome of the GOP. Disgrace. Disgrace.

See section 246 of HR 3200

23. Tee

Is this an elected official...Shame on you...what an idiot! Seriously are we four years old!

24. Sherry

It just goes to show how republicans will try to do anything and say anything because they do not want the president to succeed.
    Especially a black president that is thinking of the people.
    All republicans do is bring the poor and middle class down....

September 9, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  25. Atikin

This was a disrespectful and disgustingly juvenile outburst. I can't believe that a grown man, a public servant would do something like this.
    Why am I not surprised that this was yet another ignorant souithern moron?

September 9, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |