September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. Tommie Gibbons

And please let that be an end to it.

2. scott winter haven

Don't worry Joe and you should not feel as if you were the only one laughing. Obama is a joke of a President but he sure can read a teleprompter! The Empty Suit thinks 29 speeches will some how hide the fact that it is a Government take over of the Health Care industry. The Government needs to stay out of my body! Isn't that what the Pro Abortion crowd says????? Double Standard

3. Laura Anne

He showed disrespect not only to the man, but the office of the POTUS. His apology is half-hearted and forced not by conviction but by public disapproval, and therefore is worth nothing.

Especially since he claimed the president was lying about an aspect that was clearly stated in the bill - had he actually done his homework he would have known that the President spoke the truth. instead, he went for ignorance over truth, knee-jerk fear over facts.

No, sir, your apology is NOT accepted.

4. KathyK

I live in S.C. I was embarrassed yet again. We aren't all this way. I support our President 100%.

5. JILL Sands

Next news story will be that Joe Wilson has checked into rehab!

6. Mitzi Onedia Greene

His type of action is just what the President was talking about. You can bet whoever is Mr. Wilson's opponent will get a boost in funds. I have NEVER seen such disrespect for the office of the President in my life. This is why we have people coming to Town Hall meetings with guns, calling the President names etc.

7. artie

Vote for Rob Miller to replace this Wilson character.

8. rise

yea right, he meant to be disrespectful

9. Doug

NOT ACCEPTED – not genuine

10. Len

You disgraced your state

11. Paula

It's a little late. We are going out by the thousands to donate to the Miller Campaign for congress. I have never seen such a disrespectful comment to the highest office in this country. This is political suicide and trust me his opponent has just been well funded!!!

12. scott k

Thank god they have metal detectors! Or who knows what he would have done with his gun!

13. Carl Justus

They should throw the bum out of the house of representatives. He is the liar like Sarah Palin.

He is still living in the 1940's and does not have the sense he should keep his mouth shut. No wonder South Carolina is at the bottom of the pack in more ways than one which idiots like him representing the state.

I hope the people of South Carolina has sense to vote him out of office if he is not thrown out by the ethic committee, which I doubt.

Can you imagine what the republicans would be saying if a democrat had done that to Bush when he was giving a speech??

14. Dieter Zerressen

Too late. You've proved you're a jerk.

15. Rockaby

You let your mouth speak before your mind could think. Why is is it that more rage is becomming more Republican first. I never seen Guns at rallies. I never seen the president called a Liar while giving a speech in front of America and Congress also.

16. Andrea

He disagrees with the president's comment? In other words, he's the one continuing to lie since the bill explicitly says that coverage will not be extended to illegal aliens.

17. Liz

This guy is absolutely classless! Never in my 52 years have I seen such juvenile and disrespectful behavior toward a sitting President. I truly believe it is racism in its purest form.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  18. Debby

Well we will soon see if Obama did lie if this bill passes and we see illegals getting covered.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. Jeffery Calhoun

Joe Wilson just displayed how immature Republicans can be. The apology is accepted, but I believe it must go a little further. I believe he needs to get on public television and apologize to the millions of people who support the president, futhermore for all of those Republicans who agree with this idiot you need to go stick your head in the sand.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  20. forwardgal

Perhaps the guy from South Carolina should learn how to read; then his comments might be worthwhile! What an idiot you are, sir...grow up, get some 'southern' manners we always hear about (that of late have become a joke), and stop embarrassing your pathetic state. I can only say that considering that the leadership in your state is sadly lacking of class and decorum (look that up). What a disgrace you are to the public sector! Even when Bush said all his lies and distortions over his 8 horrible years, no one ever put on a public display like you did! SHAME ON YOU and the people who actually admire and vote for you.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  21. herman

I was so embarrassed for his mom.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  22. Carole

Please you DISRESPECTFUL PIG!!!!!!!!!

You can't help yourself, especially with Karl Rove on Fox News laughing at you.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. Marshall

Lame apology from a lame congressman. It is clear he is not sincere. This is how he really feels. I can only imagine what the GOP would have done if a Democrat would have done that to Bush I or II. How about Reagan? Wow. They would have called for his or her resignation. Double standard as usual. Thanks for nothing, Wilson.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  24. Jacqui

That's it? You call the President of the United States, while addressing congress and the American people, a LIAR and you think that pitiful statement that reeks of insincerity is enough? My God! It's a good thing stupidity isn't painful, Mr. Williams, or you'd be a morphine addict. (P.S. I suggest you bring your resume up to date.)

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  25. Matt

Joe Wilson must have thought he was sitting in a townhall where he could disrepect anyone. Every Republican should deman he apologize. It is inexcusable to call our president a liar. Too many on the right have lost their minds – and sence of decency – over this issue. Let's do what is right for all Americans – we take care of each other. We should be ashamed that we are the only advanced democracy that does not guarantee its people affordable health care. This is not a political issue – people ARE dying.

September 9, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |