September 9th, 2009

Wilson apologizes: 'I let my emotions get the best of me'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - GOP Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina issued a statement Wednesday night apologizing for his outburst during President Obama's speech to Congress:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

Filed under: Joe Wilson
  1. concerned citizen

you should be ashamed of your self,that was very disrespectful to the president of the united states. i hope the people who voted you in feel the same way, i would think a congressman would have a bit more class.

September 9, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  2. LouAz

He owes an apology to every citizen of the USA.

September 9, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. Frank

You should apologize your a perfect example of a Republican.

September 9, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. Lorena Parker

Senator (or is it wanna be "Lord" Wilson is representative of what the public can expect from loud-mouthed, empty-headed conservatives, especially those from the racist, backward south. We have our share of conservative nitwits here in Texas, too, starting with "big hair" but little brain Rick Perry. Wilson should be shown the door by his constituents, that is, those who can identify him as their rep, which probably is a small number.

September 9, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. E=Mc2

Joe Wilson, you SUCK! And my emotions did not get the best of me. Your childish and abhorrent behavior make this a fact.

6. BENJAMIN

please have him resign, he is a disgrace to our nation, and the republicians

7. tom owens

You sir should resign NOW!!!!

8. malclave

Wilson did the right thing by apologizing.

I've been reading comments on another site which are very supportive of his outburst, but I believe they were inappropriate in the setting.

On the other hand, Obama DID say that people providing misinformation should be called out on it...

9. Carroll Gant, JR.

Your emotions? Please, who is stupid? I guess he could not read or listen tonight. Or ever! You showed your true emotion, NO. This is serious. Be real and honest. Act like an adult and do your job for this nation and economy, plus Health Care.

10. Dean Gethers

It would be funny if obama ever did tell the truth, he has yet to read page 16 of this crazy idea of health care reform . it would change what he said but it isnt about the bill it's about power and that all he wants . there is a reason bill ayers thought he was the one . So at least one had the guts to call him out unlike the sheep that follow him around and kiss up hoping to be one of the chosen few that will be exempt from obamacare. a good statement is look at your pay stub and go I funded x amount of abortions this week ! yeah thats the change we need.

11. Aja

I'm glad the Congressman apologized. The remark was bad form and inappropriate for the setting. Perhaps Mr. Wilson momentarily forgot he was attending a Joint Congressional gathering led by the President of the United States of America and NOT one of these out of control Town Hall meetings, where screaming out knee-jerk irrational comments seemed to have been cheered, encouraged and egged on. I'm glad he (or his handlers) had the good sense and decency to realize that wasn't the time or the place for that sort of thing and issue this apology.

12. Marie

Kind of late for an apology the whole country heard you say liar. You should know better you were saying this to the President of the United States. We try to teach our children respect you're a grown man. South Carolina you really picked one. That was really disrepectful what you did on national TV.

13. John Mu

Shame on you Rep.

14. J

Apology, NOT accepted

15. stephanie

What ever! The man is trying to save his butt. Total disrespect, I am so ashamed

16. Larry in Houston

Hannity, Rush and the boys at Fox must have taken him to the woodshed.

17. Johnny, Houston, Texas

Probably thought he was on Fox News.

18. Rami

Wilson should be ashamed of himself. He is a disgrace to this country.

19. J. Olesen

What about apologizing to the rest of us??

20. Idiot_Pelosi

Hey, I liked it. SNO-bama is so full of it.

21. cathyinaz

Never in my life have I listened to a Presidential speech where a sitting member of Congress behaved the way Rep. Wilson did this evening. It was disrespectful, totally out of line and reprehensible. If Rep. Wilson would read the bill, insurance reform would cover those in this country legally awaiting citizenship. NOT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
    I may not agree with all portions of what was proposed this evening but that is why we have compromise. Perhaps Rep. Wilson should look up the meaning and behave accordingly.
    SHAME!

22. Ross Taylor

UNACCEPTABLE.
    No apology needed because none will be accepted here. You Sir have disrespected the office of the President and for that I can not forgive.

23. Sonji

Your apology should be to all Americans who heard your rude outburst and particulary to young Americans. You really brought shame to the nation.

24. GOP=KKK

wow....their so out there.

25. Dennis in Chicagoland

Pols in both parties who let their emotions cloud their judgment have to go...the issues are too complex and important.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12