September 10th, 2009

Obama to chair summit meeting of U.N. Security Council

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Barack Obama will chair a summit meeting of leaders from nations on the U.N. Security Council September 24, his spokesman announced Thursday.

It will be the first time a U.S. president has chaired such a meeting, and only the fifth time the heads of state of Security Council member countries have held a summit, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

The topic of the summit will be nuclear proliferation and nuclear disarmament, Gibbs said. The meeting will occur around the opening of the U.N.
General Assembly in New York.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

More CHANGE I can believe in. I'm glad the President is chairing this since he and Sen. Lugar worked so diligently on reducing nuclear weapons.

September 10, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Bea Patridge

"..er...um...er..the US does not need the nuclear weapons in our arsenal so I volunteer to give them to anyone who might think they need them, er...er..um"

September 10, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. Chang,e

verizon wireless should go out of business for cheating it's customers. I have a certain phone number on my phone who gets call forwarding and I don't even know about it. The world is not as it seems and do death shall I work to change the world.

September 10, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. john

This is a poll that is not representative of the country as a whole–40+% were democrats–you lie!

September 10, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Chris

And yet the GOP bots will continue to wail that Obama does nothing but talk. In less than 8 months, he has made greater steps toward disarmament than his predecessor accomplished in 8 years.

September 10, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. Chang,e

DOW Jones will drop significantly but it will recover if we change our business plans. especially for california. I think it is a good idea to work with another country regarding our nations health care considering sweden has a really solid health care policy.

September 10, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  7. Bubble of Sanity

Careful. Once we slip into that quicksand, we will never get out. Do we really want other countries running our business?

September 10, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Chang,e

can you please find out the lucky mega million winner in san gabriel ca, at the 7-elevin store on 1200 garfield ave? I believe I am the winner but I threw away my ticket because the store clerk told me I didn't win. check it out. I would definitely research the big winner too because it might be some serious fraud going. Unless california is in on the transaction.

September 10, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. STEVIE RAYMIE

someone be ready to throw a shoe

September 10, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. D. Tree

I'm so glad we have this smart man as president instead of the stubborn ideologues of the last administration.

September 10, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Mississippi Mike

I hope he realizes that Russia and China think he is an absolute fool when it comes to military and defense policy. Our allies see his weakness as a direct threat to their own safety. If I were diplomat from one of those countries I'd bring a bucket of popcorn and settle in for some good laughs.

September 10, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Deuce

The Fanaticism of a deliquent, wrapped up in his own self importance..

September 10, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. Jane/Seattle

I'M SHOUTING HERE! This is indeed the best news I have heard all Year! We await the RESULTS BEFORE we get all excited then let-down! I am quite suspicious of all our various shades of politics as it appears to so many of us that we are dangerously close to a full, nuanced Fascist State with variations on the original dogma. We have been warned by Naomi Klein, "The Shock Doctrine: The Rise Of Disaster Capitalism" AND Naomi Wolf's, "The End Of America", AND Thom Hartmann's New book (newest of many), "Threshold". Why do I post these here multiple times? Because these and many others are vital books for UNDERSTANDING the direction America/World Has Been Taking For Some Time NOW! Peace and thanks for reading my post. Thanks, CNN!

September 10, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. m2h

Why haven't other Presidents chaired Summits? I hope he isn't putting his need for the spotlight before any long standing choices made by the other 11 Presidents since the forming of the US..... I hope he doesn't apologize for our country – we are owed a lot by many of the countries of the world and we should stand with our head held high.

September 10, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. kevin

thanks alot CNN for all your 9/11 coverage. wow you have it all over your pages don't you ? thanks alot for nothing. This is disgusting CNN. You should be ashamed

September 10, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. aware

Obama, the weakest, narcissistic, arrogant, naive guy ever to sit in the Oval Office will chair a summit meeting of the totally inept U.N. Security Council – how fitting! :)

September 10, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. C. Cephas

Why is President Obama constantly referred to by your station as Obama and not President Obama? I do not recall any other President of the United States title not being used when a reference was made to them.

September 10, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  18. Audrey

Perfect person for this topic. Nuclear proliferation and nuclear disarmament are Mr. Obama's expertise.

September 10, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. National Healthcare begins when Neo-cons to go to trial

Mr. President

The neo-cons are not your friend....They are interested inspiring in you and us to return to a desire for horror in the name of their gods (bullets oil flesh).

They will offer Cheney up to you......do not interrupt the Justice systems restoration, Sir.

CNN.....do the story on the letter, the signatories....

Keep the light on the Neo-cons......this is close to the heart of powers that wish to control through distraction.

September 10, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Grrr-awful-o

Good idea this time. Nuclear prolifertion is in terrible shape and, frankly, it dwarfs healthcare, bailouts or climate change. Yes! I know that's probably sacrosanct stuff, but we are now seeing pretty unstable countries with nukes. And, in some places, terrorists are moving that much closer to acquiring them (Pakistan, Iran, North Korea?) one way or the other. A nuke going off somewhere will ruin your day a lot more than a warmer winter will. But I'm sure most people here will be appalled and disagree with all the fervor of the policitally correct.

September 10, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Trade Freedom for Security, Lose Both

I would imagine the US will have little leverage with China given they are the only country willing to buy Obama's debt.

September 10, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. we elected a serious leader

thank you U.S. for electing him

we have been blessed with a real leader

September 10, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. DAVE

oh boy....... maybe since Iran feels they are a nuclear power ahmindihjad and good ole Barry can have an intimate chat about how else he can make it better for muslims in Iran and around the world... or even coach the Iranian leader on how best to infiltrate the U.S...... not so far fetched, but I know that the perspective of the Liberalites who think Obama is the great unifier and master of speaking someone elses words (thank you Mr. teleprompter man) he will be a wonderful chair of this U.N. council

September 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. Bill in California

PERHAPS HE CAN GIVE THE OTHER WORLD LEADERS LESSONS on how to apologize for defending freedom for those who can't fight for it themselves.

September 10, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |