September 10th, 2009

Stimulus boosted jobs by 1 million – White House

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) –
The nation's economy started to turn around after the passage of President Obama's $787 billion stimulus package in February, his chief economic adviser said Thursday.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act created or saved slightly more than 1 million jobs through August, according to the president's Council of Economic Advisers.

The stimulus plan also boosted the nation's gross domestic product by 2.3 percentage points in the second quarter, the council said in its first quarterly stimulus report to Congress.

"Following implementation of ARRA, the trajectory of the economy changed materially toward moderating output decline and job loss," the council said.

Full Story

Filed under: President Obama • Stimulus
  1. kevin

where's the 9/11 coverage CNN???/ Why is everything Obama. He was in diapers when 9/11 happened. Lets get more regular news please

September 10, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. Fair is Fair

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!

The only thing more absurd than this propoganda is the number of people commenting here that actually believe it.

September 10, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. nyc

Yea and if you believe this then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Just let me know.

September 10, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. justin

September 10, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Carlos

Yes it has and probably a hundred or so of them weren't czars.

September 10, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. cedgar

only I can say is lol

September 10, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. msindiepa

Where??????? Do they mean the jobs currently held by ILLEGALS??? Anyway, 1 million jobs is approximately 10% of the total needed to put all taxpaying American back to work. Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

September 10, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. Mark

Stimulus did nothing. The job loss numbers went up. Typical CNN.

September 10, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Valarie in Ohio

Bush didn't have the brain capacity to figure out a way to undo the damages he created. Thank GOD for our president surrounding himself with brilliant minds and dedicated souls that are willing to clean up the dung he left behind.

Way to GO Mr. President! Actions speak louder than words!

September 10, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  10. Wake Up

I just filled up my SUV with gas, I just saved or created 5 jobs.

September 10, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  11. Some republican guy

We need to end all farm subsidies now. They're just the government meddling in the private sector. It's all just a step towards the government taking over agriculture! If our farms can't compete, they deserve to fail. Down with the socialistic farm subsidies. Have a nice day!

September 10, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Trade Freedom for Security, Lose Both

Political Fact of Life #12: The President gets the credit or blame for the economy no matter what.

September 10, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. Grrr-awful-o

How can you measure that? Anybody can say anything when it's not measurable. How do you know how many jobs were saved. It's opaque and obtuse. What you can measure is the size of the workforce. You can tell in real numbers how many jobs are lost or gained but you can't tell how many are saved. So mixing in the "saves" with the "createds" is simply obfuscating the facts. Keep it real!

September 10, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. Gary's Opinion

That is soooo much crap. They passed pork and call it stimulus and the economy still gets worse. Unemployment goes up and they want us to believe that their pork bill saved jobs???? Give me a break.

September 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Susan in Arkansas

While traveling through the lovely state of Minnesota the last few days, we drove though several areas on Interstate I-35 undergoing construction with many busy workers. We were pleased to see several signs indicating that the work performed was funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Thanks to the great state of Minnesota for giving credit where credit is due!

September 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. DAVE

saving a MILLION jobs??????? personally I don't believe that creating Govt. jobs and UNION jobs are really what we are in need of..... this amount is bogus in all aspects... I live in California and recent numbers show that statewide 64% of jobs here are "GOVERNMENT UNIONIZED JOBS"... yes I know that California is the laughing stock of the union and we are in the worst shape of all states in the country and why is this???? that little percentage i spoke of above...... Unions are not the creator of jobs it is the "KILLER" of all jobs....

September 10, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. John

Can we all grow up and not use this stat anymore. It has never been used and is a bogus stat. When we actually see job growth, then we can report that.

September 10, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  18. Mark,B'ham,Al.

Created and Saved Government Jobs? We need Private Sector Jobs for the taxbase not more government jobs.

September 10, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  19. Dennis

Ask the 9.7% who are unemployed if they believe this.

September 10, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  20. Steve, Columbia SC

There is no way anyone can accurately calculate how many jobs have been saved nationally by any effort on the part of our government...............you can use all the stats and high powered math you want................NO STINKING WAY.

September 10, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  21. RUKIDDEN

Actually if you look at the growth in the Federal bureaucracy in the last year, you can see that they DID add a million jobs. As for us out here in "the real world"...not so much. I contract out with local, county and federal governments for work. All I have seen is others in the same industry laying off workers, city and county governments shutting down and holding off on new projects, and cutting back on current expenditures.

The news says one thing and everyone out here sees something else........STOP BLOWING SMOKE OUR BUTTS. We are not buying it anymore, and thats why newspapers and news broadcast companies are losing money left and right...NOBODY IS BUYING THEIR CRAP ANYMORE.

By the way, I didn't vote for Bush OR for OBAMA....i did vote. I don't make my decisions on who is the better of two evils and we as a nation should stop doing the same.

September 10, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Tom in Delaware

What? Another angle on the Joe Wilson story?

How about ONE on Van Jones and why Obama picked him....oh, that's right, you geniuses at CNN think the people are stupid.

September 10, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. Bedtime for Obonzo

"Created or saved.." What a bunch of BS. No one keeps track of "jobs saved." The administration could claim the porkulous bill "saved" ten million jobs, and there is no way to refute that.

Does any one besides me get irritated at expensive sheet metal signs by the road, informing me that the paving project I'm about to travel over was paid for by the ARRA (i.e., porkulous act)? If that's not waste, I don't know what is.

September 10, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. jim

Thanks to your skewed results in the post-Obama speech shows me you are right in line with MSNBC – – Phony polls result in dropped viewers, including me . . . .

September 10, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  25. worriedmom

I dont believe this one bit! Look around you and see all the businesses going not there anymore. I dont know anyone, who doesnt know someone who has lost their job. It is so sad and this man and his administration has the gall to say he has created and saved jobs! Please do not take us for fools!!!!

September 10, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |