September 10th, 2009

(Updated): Wilson's opponent raises more than $500K

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Joe Wilson's outburst has resulted in a cash windfall for his 2010 Democratic challenger Rob Miller.

According to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, Miller raised $100,000 overnight from 3,000 individual donors after Wilson shouted "You lie!" at President Obama during his address to Congress on Wednesday night.

Miller released a statement last night accusing Wilson of "engaging in childish name-calling and disrespecting out Commander-in-Chief." Wilson's shout prompted Democrats on the Web to direct donors to Miller's Web site and to the Democratic fundraising site ActBlue.

Miller gave Wilson the toughest re-election challenge of his career last year in one of the country's most conservative congressional districts. Miller lost by eight points, and decided to challenge Wilson again next year.

Wilson apologized to the president after the speech, calling his comments "inappropriate and regrettable."

UPDATE: The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee reported Thursday morning that Miller's post-speech total had risen to $200,000.

UPDATE 2:45 pm: The DCCC reported Thursday afternoon that Miller's new post-speech total had risen to $400,000, via 11,000 individual contributions.

UPDATE: 5:45 p.m.: The DCCC reported Thursday evening that Miller post-speech total had risen to more than $500,000, via 14,000 individual contributions.

Filed under: Joe Wilson • Popular Posts
  1. RAG

Burn him.

September 10, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  2. carlo

Well, South Carolina has Sanford and Wilson. There's a 2012 ticket for ya.

September 10, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  3. Mrs. zachariah

What an Idiot.................. and he is a member of U.S. Congress....

September 10, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  4. Keith in CA

Wilson was accurate calling his outburst "inappropriate and regrettable." I think he should have included "immature, embarrassing and career ending"

September 10, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  5. felicia

What a disrespectful jerk, they had that planned and tried to make the President look bad but it didn't work, healthreform will pass.

September 10, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  6. Christina

Where were the outraged republicans when George H W Bush stood on a carrier and declared "Mission Accomplished"....where were all the screaming childish republicans when the former president stood smiling and lying to all the american people. This is outrageous and disheartening he should be voted out in the next election or he should have the moral decency to step down now. We do not need Joe Wilson but we do need affordable healthcare that will not abandon us in a time of need.

September 10, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. Al-NY,NY

what a tool. Booing/hissing (what Dems have done to Duh Duh Duh-bya) is NOT the same as coming out and calling the POTUS a liar. The tightie righties screamed like stuck pigs when anyone dared to do anything when GW was in office and called them disrespectful. The complete hypocrisy of some here shows that they can dish it out but can't take it.

September 10, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. Rick

His appology was too little to late. If he can't exercise self control in a situation like that he should find another line of work, maybe right wing radical talkshow host on Faux news.

September 10, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. Boston Guy

This guy is a big loser!

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  10. Torch

Though the outburst was not called for, I believe one of the biggest lies is....Illegals will not get free healthcare....it's true...

This my friends is really what this whole healthcare thing is about. It's about a huge demographic (Illegals and poor) and the Democrats want to give them a big entitlement so that they will vote for Democrats now and in the future.

REMEMBER! Had the original healthcare passed in the dark of night, before the August recess, it would not take affect until 2013!

Where's the crisis? This is not about Healthcare reform, it never was, it's a total power grab attempt by a political party.

The Democrats know deep in thier sick little hearts that this healthcare thing will be a fiasco. That's why they wanted it to start in 2013, that way Obama won't have to run against his own failed plan in 2012.

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  11. gt

its true ...do you really think we are not going to give medical help to illegal people... give me a break ... yes we will.... so wilson was right but his wording was wrong ...but please when barney frank his vile mouth ,,, this is the in kind action we the people get....

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  12. kapinhotatl

Joe Wilson has to apologize to Congress, and to the citizens of United States of America. Before he can return to the floor he has to make a TELEVISED public apology to everyone. He also need to take his reptilian behind to the White House and look the President in his eyes and apologize to him. His lame telephone call to the White House is not enough. Too bad we don't tar and feather anymore.

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  13. ran

Good for the Democrats. I am not surprise that this person came from South Carolina. We have in our politics today some of the most vile despicable people whose only reason to be an elected official is to spread their hate/fear in order to control or eliminate any who do not think like they do.

This from my experience started with Nixon and has gotten worse with ever Republican president and those Republicans in congress who see power as the reason to be in Gov. to dictate to others their narrow view of the world.

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  14. Laurinda B. Southerland

It appears to me, that many who are totally racist, and have so much hatred in their hearts, hide behind the name of being a "Republican." Nevertheless, the truth always comes out eventually, and it has been said, plus proven numerous times, "that what is in a man's heart, so he speaketh!"

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  15. victim of republican greed

If right wingnuts had an ounce of civility, they would be appalled by Wilson's behavior.

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  16. DebM, Allentown, PA

Last night's behavior by the majority of Republicans, but especially by Wilson, confirmed that the GOP has devolved into a party of brutish, disrespectful Neanderthals who cater mainly to the fringe extremist factions of their party. I've watched the Republicans on their downhill slide and wondered how anyone with half a brain and an ounce of self-respect could admit to being a Republican, but nothing I had seen to this point shocked me as much as the chamber's behavior last night. I hope that last night was the bottom of the barrel and that somehow, the reasonable and respectful members of the GOP, assuming there are enough of them left, will take their party back from the fringe.

September 10, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  17. Doug, New Jersey

Democrats screamed the same thing when Bush had his state of the union address, the difference? Well the Republican apologized immediately, the Democrats have yet and probably never will do so.

It is great to show Americans the truth about the left and the right, but these are just politicians, it goes much much deeper. I suggest spending a little time in a red area, then an ultra blue area like Northern New Jersey, New York, or the DC-Baltimore area. Then you will really see the difference, and if you are even a half way decent person, you will never vote Democrat again.

September 10, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  18. cathy parks

I just recently was placed on diability and was placed on medicaid and found out I can not see my Dr.of my choice because they are not a member of something called PCCM .I am appauled at the problem I have several problems with my health I am 60 .so what now I am not going to a new Dr I dont trust .I am taking several medications and where will I get new presriptions .The people over 50 dont matter any more so that is goverment health care .Wants to make me go for it .Listen to the people .

September 10, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  19. Tom, NC

Hey, Obama was lying. YOU GO JOE!

September 10, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  20. Denise Katy TX

It is amazing how "We Americans" are always critisizing other countries about their behaviors and actions, and our leaders and elected officials are acting like disrespectful rascals. If this is why you want your country back, then you can have it. After what I have seen in the the past 8 months I'm ashamed. This is not the America I want my kids to inherit. The hatred, the disrepect, name calling, the fear mongoring. Get over yourselfs. Our children are watching.

September 10, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  21. Kaye -Jacksonville FL

Joe Wilson and rest of the GOP sitting in the hall were a sight to behold. The grim faces, the childish outbursts, the teabagger signs ... they forgot to put on their grown up undies before they entered the chamber. And waving their 4-page so-called health care reform plan? Now THAT was laughable. Their teabagging base will applaud their antics, but the moderate and independent voters they need at the ballot box are appalled.

September 10, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  22. cramit

Thats funny.. I sent money to Wilson . Now report hpw much HE got

September 10, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  23. Nancy Gentile

Did you notice that Wilson's congressional web site is down for maintenance? This guy (and I will not give him the respect of calling him a congressman, because he has proved he is not worthy of respect) shouts out in a crowd and then hides from the public. This type of cowardice differs little from those who wear the white sheets. Where is Boehner with the condemnation? Where are the calls for resignation? I don't recall any Democrats doing this to George Bush.

Wilson must go.

September 10, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  24. Seattle Sue

Joe Wilson seems to be a typical radical,rude and crude Republican. Whats with these politicians from South Carolina. I see where another Republican politician has been caught dipping his wick where he should not have been dipping. All of this from the Party that tells us that their values are higher than mine. What a joke. I hope Miller whips his butt at the next election.

September 10, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  25. shawnm77

Tonight Joe Wilson interrupted the president to make an outlandish statement aimed directly at the president. Like the president has this evil plot of getting insurance for every amercian citizen. This is the stupid crap that comes from the evil right hand of the republicans. Fox news gets these people pumped up, and bothered enough. No pre-existing conditions make life easier for every american citizens family in some way. People like Joe Wilson is mad cause they have no plans other than collect a paycheck from South Carolina like the other congressman. Joe Wilson needs his private life investigated I bet he's got some skeletons in his closet. All I know is we have enough crazy people mad that an estimated 47 MILLION AMERICANS will be able to see a doctor if needed. Too bad Joe Wilson couldn't come up with a plan that's not a joke financially (HR3400)

September 10, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |