September 11th, 2009

Card opts out of Massachusetts Senate run

Card, the former chief of staff to President Bush, said Friday he will not run for the vacant Massachusetts Senate seat.

(CNN) – Andy Card confirmed in a telephone interview with CNN late Friday he has decided not to run for the seat of the late Sen. Edward Kennedy, and is encouraging state Sen. Scott Brown to run instead.

"I had done my due diligence and decided it was probably not in my best interest to run," said Card, former chief of staff in the Bush White House. "I'm disappointed but not unhappy."

Card said he was "overwhelmed with gratitude from people" e-mailing and calling to urge him to run.

He said it was a "tough, tough decision" and family considerations were a "big part of it" - Card's wife is a minister in northern Virginia, and a campaign would have had him spending so much time in Massachusetts.

Card, who was chief of staff on 9/11, said he only made the decision late today after "I finished my 9/11 remembrance events." He explained he did not want anyone to think his appearances today were in any way political in the event he chose to run.

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Jayden,FL

Lol he knows if he did run he didn't have a chance!

September 11, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  2. A Democrat of 51 years who has finally got smart to their follishness.

I wonder if he planned his secretary's too back when???

September 11, 2009 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  3. A Democrat of 51 years who has finally got smart to their follishness.

Being you were part of the Bush Team I'd say you had no chance.

September 11, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  4. Greg, San Francisco, CA

Card wouldn't have received even 15% of the vote in MA, but nice that he cites 'family considerations' as his motive for not get slaughtered in public.

September 12, 2009 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  5. Jim

Typical republican looking for elected office to serve "HIS BEST INTEREST" His due diligence was likely a pole that said he would get his selfserving butt kicked.

September 12, 2009 01:54 am at 1:54 am |