September 11th, 2009

Former senator Norm Coleman diagnosed with Bell's palsy

Former senator Norm Coleman has been diagnosed with Bell's palsy .
Former senator Norm Coleman has been diagnosed with Bell's palsy .

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) - Former Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman, widely considered a potential candidate for governor next year, confirmed to CNN Friday that he has been diagnosed with Bell's palsy, a generally temporary condition that affects the nerves of the muscles on one side of a person's face.

"[I was] heading back to the Twin Cities, I'm getting on a plane taking a little sip of water, and realize I'm dribbling out of the left side of my mouth," Coleman told CNN in a phone interview from his home in St. Paul. "I'm smiling, but only half of my face is smiling, so I realize I think we have a problem here."

Coleman said when the symptoms first came on last week on the plane he wasn't sure if it was a stroke or something else, but after seeing his doctor the next day, he had his answer.

"Bell's palsy, paralysis on the left side of my face," Coleman said. "The good news is that...I had a little movement, and by having a little movement it says the prognosis recovery is really pretty good."

Coleman said he expects a full recovery - the condition generally disappears within several weeks or months - but that in the meantime he'll have to endure "the two-faced politician jokes, and talking out of one side of my mouth comments."

"Other than that, this too will pass," Coleman added, calling it a mere "temporary inconvenience."

"It's a slow, steady improvement. It could be two weeks, it could be six weeks before back to normal, but in most cases there is a full recovery."

The Republican politican finally conceded defeat in the contentious recount and court battle over the 2008 race to current Sen. Al Franken just two months ago.

Filed under: Norm Coleman
  1. carlos, that one

Mr. Coleman, to wish you well and a quick recovery.............I am a democrat and a Veteran......Godspeed sir!

September 11, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. Allen, Texas

I feel so sorry for him. However, God is watching all of us in whatever we do. I pray for him and his family.

September 11, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. LIBERAL and Proud of It!

It's called Karma, all republicans should look it up. All your party's negativity, lies, non compassion, obstructionism and opposition to helping average Americans will backfire. What goes around comes around.

September 11, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. patrick

i like how the close the comments section 4 mins after the article is posted, now im commenting on the jay-z obama article, oh because im black im suppose to go along with another crooked political puppet because a rapper says so, sike

September 11, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. GI Joe

A POX on ALL Republicans, I say.

Let the wackos suffer. They are not human. They are bigots.

September 11, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. Rob Selby

Sounds funny. I'd like to see and hear the freak try and speak:)

September 11, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. GKfromRI

Did the former Senator get a blood test to check for Lyme's Disease? Bell's Palsy is a common side-effect of untreated (or undertreated) LD. I happen to know this little tidbit because I went through it last summer!

September 11, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. Aunt Bea and Opie

Does it have anything to do with talking out of the side of your mouth too much,Norm?

September 11, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. Dake

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

September 11, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Kelby In Houston, Texas

I am truly sorry to hear about Norm Coleman's diagnosis.
    However, one thing is most certain. He is going to teaciously fight this thing to the very end and beyond. If Norm Coleman has shown himself to be anything, he is a fighter. He will not quit. He will not faulter. And I wish him all the best

September 11, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. worriedmom

May God Bless you!

September 11, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  12. michael Yeboah

senator, i am sorry to hear of your predicament. i wish you a speedy recovery but may i ask? do you have health insurance ? if not then tell your colleagues republicans to pass one immediately so that you can also receive coverage. This is what many americans are facing, that is why we need health insurance reform.

September 11, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. JonDie

Bell's palsy happens, he'll probably get over it.

But since Coleman doesn't really have a life other than that of a professional politician wannabe, he probably won't ever get over that.

September 11, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. Jaime, Plantation FL

My best wishes to Coleman for a full and speedy recovery.

September 11, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  15. U.S. Common Sense

May you have a swift and complete recovery.

September 11, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. Kim in mpls

Norm I was disappointed in your willingness to drag out the election when we all knew that you lost and for changing party in 1996 when being a democrat wasn't kool. However much I may not be in step with your politics I can say that I am happy that you dodge the bullit. Good luck with your Bells Palsy.
    ps Do you get medical for the rest of your life?

September 11, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  17. Sabrina

I wish Norm Coleman well------- but where is the ACORN story?????????????????????????

September 11, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. Gloria

I wish him well and hope he has a speedy recovery!

September 11, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  19. Alf

Probably the stress of paying al those legal bills to try to steal an election. Good health to him in the future, just so long as he is not poisoning our political system any more.

September 11, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  20. Deuce

Ringing in his ears??

September 11, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  21. Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha..........

DOES Anybody know what GEORGE W. BUSH was suffering of?

Ha Ha Ha........ :P

What a Joke.......

GEORGE W. BUSH WAS AND IS SUFFERING OF – "GREED FOR OIL"

Ha Ha Ha......

And do you konw what ?????????

Nobody.........Nobody........ DIAGONSED IT BEFORE VOTING HIM AS PRESIDENT......... Nobody............ Nobody.

Ha Ha Ha Ha......... How Easily we Voters Can Be Fooled ........... :)

What a Joke....... What a Joke we Live in............. :P

September 11, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. Stacy from Leesburg, VA

Having suffered Bell's Palsy, it is an aggrevating condition. Mine lasted about six weeks and I could not taste, my face and tongue were numb, my speech was slurred, and the left side of my face drooped. My wife had to tape my eye shut and put sauve in my eye to not dry out at night. Eventually it goes away, but the possiblity of recurrence is high. I am not a Senator Coleman fan, but I wish him the best with this malady.

September 11, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  23. Steve (the real one)

Stay strong! Get well, May God bless!

September 11, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  24. JAZ

I am glad he lost his seat but I wish him a speedy recovery.

September 11, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  25. I feel bad for him

but he was such an ass this last election

September 11, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |