September 14th, 2009

Traficant mulling another run for Congress

Former Democratic Rep. James Traficant told CNN Monday he may make a bid to return to Congress.

(CNN) - Former Democratic Rep. James Traficant, who only days ago was released from a federal prison after serving seven years on a bribery and racketeering conviction, told CNN Monday he may make a bid to return to Congress.

"I'm not sure at this point," Traficant told CNN's John Roberts on American Morning when asked if he wanted to seek a return to the body that, in a near unanimous vote, voted to expel him more than seven years ago.

"Both parties would not want to see me in Washington, believe me… I was very controversial down there," he said. "I'm the guy that changed the burden of proof in a civil tax case and had a bill moving forward that would finally, with the fair justice act, allow these people in the Justice Department to be charged and investigated and prosecuted for crimes."

Traficant also brushed aside recent criticisms from the mayor of Youngstown, Ohio - his hometown - that the former congressman is no longer representative of Ohio voters.

"I think I did a few things around Youngstown that helped Youngstown and improved Youngstown," said Traficant. "So I'm going to have a lot of…opposition if I do run, but quite frankly, I don't give a damn.

"You know, beam me up, I'm ready if I decide to run," Traficant also said, using his trademark closing like from Star Trek.

Filed under: James Traficant • Popular Posts
  1. jay

Really? A former felon Democrat wants to run for office? Shocking. I hope the democratic voters of Ohio who want to charge Bush, Cheney et al, of crimes will have the fortitude to not vote ofr a REAL CRIMINAL.

September 14, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. Abi Licone

Great !

September 14, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. fideauxdon

Isn't this guy a convicted felon? I didn't think that a convicted felon was allowed to serve in Congress. I realize that the American people are "served" by crooks from both parties, but I thought that you had to be caught red handed and convicted before you were barred.

September 14, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Bendo

Run Jim Run!..."there all dead Jim"

September 14, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. Tom

Sounds like another moron!

September 14, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  6. buckwheat

He should fit right in with the rest of those lawmakers.The pot can't call the kettle black.

September 14, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  7. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

So exactly what is that thing on this guy's head? It looks like a woodchuck.

September 14, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. Steve (the real one)

To think he can even think about running with a federal conviction on his record is mind blowing. The truly sad part is after looking at who's in Congress now, he'd fit right in! Don't do it Youngstown, it will reflect badly on you!

September 14, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  9. Jay T.

Anything is possible in the U.S. of A. Just think of the laundry list of lies and deceits Cheney pulled off and there are people out there who still give credence to what he says.

September 14, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. whaley41

Just what we need.....MORE crooks in Washington! I can't believe people would even vote for this crook! But I am not a liberal democrat.

September 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. DEB

Is this our typical congressman ? Cheating , Thieving individuals ?
    What happened to THE HONEST, GOOD PEOPLE ?
    American People don't settle for less. No matter what party you spport. Insist on honest, good people who don't have a prision background because of their corrupt way of thinking! Bring our country back to where it should be. Run by people who want to see our country thrive and a country who accepts diversity and understands that, diversity is what this country is made of.

September 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. Kevin

um. I don't think convicted felons are eligible to run for office.

September 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. GOP

Wow an arrogant Democrat that has an ego problem. What are the odds of that? I guess Obama could use a person like him in his administration because he is a convicted felon!

The sad part is if he were a republican people would be outraged by his behavior but since he is a Democrat they are just used to how they act!

September 14, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  14. Jack in Florida

Oh please....spare us the pain of your presence and your hair!!!!

September 14, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  15. victim of republican greed

I would hope that Youngstown would also take into account what is best for the country and vote against Traficant. It is time for him to retire from public life.

September 14, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  16. Joe Wilson is the Ann Coulter of the U.S. House

Traficant will fit in well with House Repuglicans. Of course if he doesn't win he can be a Republican commentator or radio show host or hairpiece salesman.

Palin/Traficant 2012

September 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  17. G2

Yeah I don't think he should run for office, he needs to find a different career.

September 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  18. victim of republican greed

With congressman Joe Wilson, we already have enough fools in congress.

September 14, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  19. Sami

Why would anybody vote for a crook?

September 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  20. Republican Truth

Wow. Another crooked democrat running for office. Good thing he's not Republican because then the dems wouldn't allow him in.

September 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  21. Tom in Delaware

Hey, why not, it worked for Marion Berry.

September 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. Chris M.

If he stops paying his taxes he'd have a shot at being the this administrations cabinet! He's a poster boy for WHY there are tea-parties against government expansion.

September 14, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  23. Doug, New Jersey

He may just be the most moral and honest Democrat in America today. I know, that's not saying much.

September 14, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  24. John

We don't need people like him in Congress. There is just too much graft and corruption as it is.

September 14, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. karen

just what we need a crook back in congress...time to weed em all out!

September 14, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |