September 17th, 2009

Gaffe-prone Biden avoids weighing in on Obama verbal slip

Gaffe-prone Biden avoids weighing in on Obama verbal slip.
Gaffe-prone Biden avoids weighing in on Obama verbal slip.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) – The famously free-wheeling Joe Biden found himself in an unaccustomed situation Thursday: asked to comment on a White House gaffe that wasn't his own.

The vice president was asked by CNN what he thought of President Obama's unguarded moment earlier this week, when he was caught calling entertainer Kanye West a "jackass" for grabbing the microphone from teenage singer Taylor Swift at MTV's Video Music Awards earlier in the week.

Biden responded cautiously. "I honestly didn't know that. I have no comment on that," he told CNN's Chris Lawrence, adding with a laugh: "For someone who occasionally says things that I shouldn't say, I have no comment."

How does it feel to be on the observing end of an administration verbal slip? "Well first of all, (Obama) very seldom has a slip of the tongue," said Biden. "But I really can't comment. I truly don't know the incident. I heard it for the first time from you."

Biden is in Iraq this week, his third visit to that nation so far this year.

Filed under: Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. Jim

I can't help it – I just like Joe Biden! He's down-to-earth, real, human, makes mistakes/gaffes and apologizes for them; is a Catholic (like me), a family man, a seasoned politician, a team player and a real American. I would enjoy sitting by him during a baseball or football game. I trust that he could lead the nation well if Pres. Obama were ever unable to.

Joe Biden is a model for the role of Vice President, and 100% better than his predecessor Cheney!

September 17, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. Allen in Hartwell GA

As I understand it the president's comment was not supposed to be aired or made public. Having said that, could you imagine what some of the good old boys club from the southern states might have said???

September 17, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. Independant Vet

Just another liar .

September 17, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. cl

Well said, Mr. Vice President. CNN is like a 5 year old child. We have big issues, but they focus on gossip.

September 17, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. jpspec

I have always liked Bidean as a person. I just never could decide if I wanted him to be VP.

Because the media has made him out to be a "goof ball" I now have reason to say Joe is really great. My comment is based on having complete loss in confidence in the main stream media.

Phyllis, Media PA

September 17, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. Arvid Billingsley

Obama has at least learned one thing this year: keep Biden out of the country and away from microphones.

September 17, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. Rick

I fail to see what the slip is.

September 17, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. marty-Licoln, NE

CNN's Chris Lawrence, why are you talking about something that the president said and then have the nerve to ask Vice President Biden about the comment? Are you having a slow day or no real news to report. Please stop printing this stupid stuff at CNN.

September 17, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. Ridgeway

Does he know he's in Iraq? Or does he know no one cares where he is or what he does?

September 17, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. SamSunny

Why is it a verbal slip? Kanye acted really badly. It was suppose to be an off the record comment, but unfortunately, nothing seems off the record any longer. But, in final analysis, what Obama said wasn't a slip....it was the truth.

September 17, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |