September 18th, 2009

Irving Kristol, conservative thinker, dies at 89

(CNN) - Irving Kristol, among the most influential conservative commentators over the last half century, died Friday in Washington at age 89, the Weekly Standard announced on its Web site.

Kristol, whom Esquire Magazine once hailed as the godfather of neo-conservatism, served as editor of several conservative publications over the last five decades including Commentary magazine and The National Interest.

In 2002, President Bush awarded Kristol the Medal of Freedom, calling him a "brilliant writer of remarkable insight and wit, [who] profoundly improved public discourse on the ideas he championed."

His son, William Kristol, is the current editor of The Weekly Standard.

Filed under: Irving Kristol
  1. ian in Boulder CO

Rest in peace Mr. Irving Kristol. Conservative thinkers are in short suppy these days; they have been replaced with conservative blowhards (Rush), conservative clowns (Beck), and conservative pseudo-intellectuals (Mr. Irving Kristol's son Bill). The country needs conservative thinkers, now more than ever perhaps. This is from a far-left liberal.

September 18, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  2. gae

Conservative and Thinker. Those are two words that you won't read in the same sentence anymore.

September 18, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  3. Shelly

Didn't he call the Republican Party "the stupid party'.....GASP
    A conservative calling his own stupid !

September 18, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. Lauren in Seattle

I'm a liberal Democrat, but have tremendous respect for Mr. Kristol. While I disagree with his political philosophy, I respect the fact that he was a true conservative. I suspect he was fairly dismayed by the Faustian bargain that the conservatives have made with the evangelicals. Limited government should be limited government - a true conservative would never argued that government shouldn't tax you can tell you when and under what circumstances you can have a child, get married, or read certain books.

I might have disagreed with him, but at least he was consistent. Seems we liberals have one less rational person to deal with.

September 18, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. ProfBill

"I could not attend the funeral. But , I sent a nice note approving of the affair." Mark Twain

September 18, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  6. Michael

Liberals have been "turning the other cheek" for far too long. Look at what it has gotten them. Two bruised cheeks. Sorry neocons, the buck stops here........no more mister nice guy. You get what you give.

If this joker really IS the father of the neoconservative movement, all I can say is he lived 30 years too long.

Ronnie "the bum" Reagan pushed this "free market" crap, Bush 41 gave us the mantra "get the government off our back" which translated to zero regulation on business.

I paid my bills and lived in the same house for over 20 years, only to see my equity disappear when the market crashed.

Ding dong the Witch is dead..............!

September 18, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  7. Amunaka

Jeeez... I need a shower after reading these posts ..I think it would be good to look back into this mans life his ideology..the how ..the why.. he shaped the neo-con movement back then and how it got to where it is today....and learn something from it ...

oh and cons your faux outrage is disingenuous to say the least

September 18, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  8. Amanda

Who cares ? Father and son are despicable.

September 18, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  9. jules sand-perkins

Irving Kristol was a wonderful man, an important conservative thinker, and a brilliant writer.
    The lack of respect shown to him by comments here would be shocking, were it not most of it coming from persons whose lack of education made "disrespect," and even its gutter truncation "diss," a verb.

September 19, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  10. jules sand-perkins

Well, I've studied these posted writings closely and concluded that some liberals are on something very different from Veuve Cliquot.

September 19, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |