September 20th, 2009

Carville, Matalin share rare tender moment

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even the fiercest political foes can put their partisan differences aside.

That’s exactly what happened on Sunday’s State of the Union when Democratic strategist James Carville and Republican strategist Mary Matalin gave the public a rare glimpse inside their marriage.

The moment came when CNN Chief National Correspondent John King played a clip from a recent “Saturday Night Live” special where Carville, who is known for his Cajun accent and his outspokenness, was spoofed on the legendary comedy sketch show.

In the SNL skit, a Carville impersonator was asked to comment on the recent political protests against the Obama administration. “These people are first class crazy,” the impersonator says, “and I should know because I’m as crazy as they come. I mean look at me. I see this in the mirror every mornin’ and I think ‘Yup, that’s good looks.’ I mean c’mon. I look like a Skeletor.”

Skeletor, the self-proclaimed Evil Lord of Destruction, is a villain from popular He-Man comic and animated series.

Before Carville, who was dressed like his SNL impersonator, could respond to the spoof, his wife chimed in with words of affection rather than the partisan barbs she usually directs at her Democratic husband.

“I love that look. I’ve always loved that look. You’re the most compelling, handsome manly, manly man,” Matalin said. “He looked like a girly girl,” she said of Carville’s SNL double.

“You’re my favorite Skeletor,” Matalin also told her husband with whom she has two daughters. “We’ve very proud of you. The girls and I are very proud of you for Saturday Night Live. That’s wonderful.”

“A beautiful wife and beautiful children,” Carville said as he flashed his wide trademark grin, “What can I say?”

“It’s ending on a soft, touchy moment,” observed King.

Filed under: Extra • James Carville • Mary Matalin • State of the Union
  1. daehttub

It's too bad that we seem to have lost this civility between Democrats and Republicans. Carville and Matalin have something to teach all of us. Great story.

P.S. LOL. Great SNL skit and Carville's being a good sport.

September 20, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. energy

James Carville is very annoying, but his personlity and style keep me tuned anytime he is on the air. He is a tough cookie. The wife too can be annoying but I think her brain runs through Carvile or the other way round. I don't know, but I think they are the most aozing political couple.

Do you think their opposition to each other is feigned?

September 20, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. Brian Meeks

They are the best couple in the world. If they can make it, everyone should be able to.

September 20, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. Shannon

They are married, I'm sure they share moments all the time, good grief, is this really a story

September 20, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  5. Denna

Wow. A Republican who can say a kind word about a Democrat. Well, isn't that special.

September 20, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  6. andrewstl

carville is awesome!

September 20, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  7. Linda from Minnesota

I love them together. I miss them with Tim Russert.

September 20, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. Roger

AAAHHHH....how sweet!!!!! Thats what I'm talking about.....why can't we all just get along??????

September 20, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  9. J Robinson

I can't stand either one of them. They make big money from promoting political divisiveness. They rake in the bucks by promoting controversy and inhibiting constructive dialogue. That's the last thing this country needs right now.

September 20, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  10. Ravi

Aww schucks! That was touching indeed... I don't think I've ever seen Matalin being so warm, kind, and affectionate :).

September 20, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  11. janelle

While I don't completely agree with the politics of either of them, it is very nice to see that in this day and age of bitter partisanship that people can still love and respect others in spite of ideological differences. It seems these two know what's important and keep politics and ideology at the door when they get home.

September 20, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  12. Thomas5

I have to say that despite the fact that I absolutely despise Carville's politics, he seems like an OK guy. The kind of guy you could watch the game with and have a beer with.

His politics still suck, but he's probably alright.

September 20, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  13. Bert

I love this couple. I like to listen to both because they are firm in their beliefs without the political ignorance. The articulate their positions and are not drones.

September 20, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  14. Butch Dillon

Touching! So touching that just reading the words alone made me run for the puke pail.

September 20, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  15. sunshine

this is a good thing.

September 20, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  16. Lynne

I have no idea why these two are touted as having much to add to any conversation. You can predict the stance each is going to say on every issue with the sarcasm dripping off Matalin's tongue.

Surely there are some new, bright minds on both sides whose attitudes have not become so partisanly hardened.

September 20, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  17. Susan in Arkansas

Shucks, folks. If Mary and James can get along, can't the rest of us get along, too?

September 20, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  18. Kat

Awwww, that was cute!!!!

September 20, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  19. Shantal S

Aww! That is So cute! Finally for once politics can be set aside for once.

September 20, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. Jerry

No two people in politics are more intensely partisan than Carville and Matalin, yet they provide a wonderful example of how to have a life outside of politics and how to disagree respectfully. It's a shame they seem to be the only two in Washington. I wish they'd teach some seminars to all of Congress, the DNC, the RNC, and every talk radio host in the country.

September 20, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  21. Saminjax

Loved this!

September 20, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  22. jdurand

This is great..touching moment and hilarious skit.

Please don't everyone start the "this isn't news" nonsense. Everything reported in the news doesn't have to be about politics, death and destruction.

It's good to mix some of this lighter stuff in.

September 20, 2009 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  23. Keith in Austin

James Carville is one handsome devil

September 20, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |