September 20th, 2009

Carville, Matalin share rare tender moment

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even the fiercest political foes can put their partisan differences aside.

That’s exactly what happened on Sunday’s State of the Union when Democratic strategist James Carville and Republican strategist Mary Matalin gave the public a rare glimpse inside their marriage.

The moment came when CNN Chief National Correspondent John King played a clip from a recent “Saturday Night Live” special where Carville, who is known for his Cajun accent and his outspokenness, was spoofed on the legendary comedy sketch show.

In the SNL skit, a Carville impersonator was asked to comment on the recent political protests against the Obama administration. “These people are first class crazy,” the impersonator says, “and I should know because I’m as crazy as they come. I mean look at me. I see this in the mirror every mornin’ and I think ‘Yup, that’s good looks.’ I mean c’mon. I look like a Skeletor.”

Skeletor, the self-proclaimed Evil Lord of Destruction, is a villain from popular He-Man comic and animated series.

Before Carville, who was dressed like his SNL impersonator, could respond to the spoof, his wife chimed in with words of affection rather than the partisan barbs she usually directs at her Democratic husband.

“I love that look. I’ve always loved that look. You’re the most compelling, handsome manly, manly man,” Matalin said. “He looked like a girly girl,” she said of Carville’s SNL double.

“You’re my favorite Skeletor,” Matalin also told her husband with whom she has two daughters. “We’ve very proud of you. The girls and I are very proud of you for Saturday Night Live. That’s wonderful.”

“A beautiful wife and beautiful children,” Carville said as he flashed his wide trademark grin, “What can I say?”

“It’s ending on a soft, touchy moment,” observed King.

Filed under: Extra • James Carville • Mary Matalin • State of the Union
  1. LacrosseMom

Matlin & Carvillie are a great example of Christian love & respect. They are polar opposites about politics but still respect and love.

Mazel tov!

September 20, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  2. Joyce Becker

I've always known that they respect each others different opinions and try not to talk politics at home, thats' their secret of a happy marriage.

September 20, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  3. TimH

I wish our entire nation could take a few lessons from this couple. They are about as far apart on some issues as two people can be but they still can manage to work together, love each other and raise a family.

Our nation needs to take all of our differing opinions and work on them and come to mutual understanding and action rather than act like spoiled children pointing and screaming at each other.

September 20, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I'm not a fan of Carville or Matalin, but I appreciate that they have somehow made their marriage work despite the obvious public and partisan pressures they face. Congratulations!!

September 20, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. Joyce

This is what America needs more of: love an respect!

September 20, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Aaron Crespo

Aww.......how sweet. WHO CARES?!?!?!?!

September 20, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. Greg

I've always liked this couple having read their book, All's Fair in Love, War, & Politics years ago... if these two can make it under the same roof, what's the problem with the rest of us? It has to be hard on her and their kids to hear she is married to Skeletor, Satan, or Snakehead. I admire her for sticking to him, despite is leftist views, and him for loving her despite her being a conservative. Awesome family.

September 20, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Patty

I like this couple very much. because they agree to disagree so well. James Carville is very pleasing to the eye,

September 20, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Marie Laveaux

I saw that moment and it was sweet, but I just cannot understand how two people who have such strong political differences can live together. It must be love.

September 20, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. S Callahan

Great response to a great scrpit..(that was so funny on SNL)

September 20, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. Kelley

I think James has actually softened since he's been married to Mary. Happy they get along so well, they're fun to watch.

September 20, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  12. JeanneC

If these two people from the opposite sides of the spectrum can not only get along civily – but marry... the rest of the U.S. should be able to respectfully disagree.

September 20, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  13. Ren from Baltimore

Ok, these are two pros on opposite sides. So glad to see that civility _can_ be exercised even by those on the extremes of their respective positions. Let's take a lesson from that, shall we? Everyone?

September 20, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  14. notsofast

I think it is great that these two can have such diverse political opinions, and yet maintain a wonderful relationship. Everyone from both sides of the political spectrum can learn a lot from this when it comes to showing respect to others despite differences of opinion. Thank you for airing this.

September 20, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  15. Angela in Denver

That's nice because I wondered how they have been able to balances their differences after all of these years.

September 20, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  16. charlie in Maine

Carvile is a smart and evidently lucky man.

BTW his SNL double was right about the 1st class crazies

September 20, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  17. Willa

What a lovely couple...see...oposites attract...we should all get along like them...democrats and republicans...having differences of opinions does not call for screeming and lying and wrecking someones personalities. Civility, give and take is the name of the game. :-)

September 20, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  18. josephswain

That was pretty cool! I admire them both for their dignity and devotion.

Well Done!!

September 20, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. BunnyNC

This couple has so much to offer in the way of an example to the rest of our country - you can strongly disagree about issues and still deeply love one another.

No need for us to rip each other and ourselves to shreds to prove superiority. We all have so much more in common than we realize - we just can't ever get to it because we're too busy tearing each other down.

I think CNN should give these two their own daily segment talking about that very thing and showing by example how the rest of us ought to be behaving toward each other.

September 20, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. barb

Proof that you don't have to always agree with one's political persuasions to get along. Great couple!

NOW IF ONLY WE COULD TEACH AMERICANS THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS AGREE WITH ONE ANOTHER TO BE CIVIL TOWARD EACHOTHER! JUST WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS COUNTRY?

I'm sure there will be numerous postings about James' appearance. We in this country are just s-o-o-o into physical appearance.

September 20, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  21. Keith in Austin

What a useless story! Thanks for sharing CNN

September 20, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. Hat Trick

Wow, he IS human after all.

September 20, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. Barbara

Just love James Carville... and it's nice to see a tender interaction between him and his wife – up until now, we were left wondering how this union would survive the polarization of politics. Guess, they're just fine!

September 20, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  24. David W.

See what happens when we stop yelling at each other? Good for Carville and Matalin!!

September 20, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  25. Ryan indy

I dont always agree with Carville and disliked what he said about President Bush, but he is a winner and an intelligent man that Republicans can respect. I would take the Clinton Adminstration over this Amaetur Group that resides in the White House Right now. Clinton was slick but he was a WInner , I dont think Obama is a Winner.

September 20, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |