September 20th, 2009

Obama: Family 'will stand in line like everybody else' for vaccine

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The nation's first family will not get any special dispensation when it comes to the much awaited vaccine for the H1N1 virus, President Obama tells CNN.

Asked about plans for his family's health in an interview that airs Sunday on CNN's State of the Union, the president said he intends to consult with his Health and Human Services Secretary and the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"And whatever they tell me to do, I will do," Obama told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

"[H]ere's what I guarantee you," Obama also told King, "We want to get vaccinated. We think it's the right thing to do. We will stand in line like everybody else. And when folks say it's our turn, that's when we'll get it."

The president said high-risk populations for the H1N1 virus - like health care workers, pregnant women - and children will be first in line for vaccinations against the disease, also known as the "swine flu." So he speculated that his two daughters, who are both under the age of 12, would likely get vaccinated before him.

"I suspect that I may come fairly far down the line," Obama said.

Full story

1. Carl Justus

We finally have a president that is well educated and is calm, caring, thoughtful, smart and is trying his best to be kind of president we dream about and here we have a bunch of lunatics trying to tear him down on decision he makes or anything he does.

If he walked across the Potomac, the republicans and those who do not like him critiicize him for not being able to swim.

I cannot belive we have become so unhuman in the way we act toward other people or their possessions. We must have come from apes for we certainly going back to their way of doing things.

September 20, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. Hugo

Give me a break, stand in line like everyone else, get real!? Just like he and Congress would be subject to the public Option the Democrats propose.... One program for the elitists and one for us poor unable to think for ourselves minions that pay their salaries!

September 20, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. annie s

How can an article about a vaccine draw so much hatred? We have lame duck calling the President a coward, Linda thinks he's a liar, Dan thinks he's a clown and Matt despises him. All the man said to warrant this vitriol is that he and his family would wait their turn for a vaccine like everyone else (duh, "stand in line" was obviously not to be taken literally). I live in a conservative area and try my best to understand my neighbor's opposition to the policies of Barack Obama – but when all I hear is fanaticism, I stop listening. If you can't you state your case intelligently, then your case has no merit.

September 20, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Helen, NY

I think victim of Republican Greed is paid by Barack Obama or Moveon.org. We have first amendment right to comment on radical Barack Obama. You do not have to criticize others who comment here. You need a change. Perhaps Barack Obama will give you a Government Job in his big Government. Get a life.

September 20, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Steve (the real one)

Why do some of STILL think it is ONLY the republicans against health care reform. I guess you don't count the Blue dogs as being good democrats or is it just because they are not apart of the far left fringe? BIG TENT and TOLERANT, anyone? Oh by the way, there are fringes on the far left and right, lest we forget! When I got the shot a while ago it was called SWINE FLU. A name change really changes nothing!

September 20, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Ha Ha Ha

Breit Bart says that he has another big story coming out this week. One that is as big as the acorn story.

September 20, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |