September 20th, 2009

Obama: Family 'will stand in line like everybody else' for vaccine

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The nation's first family will not get any special dispensation when it comes to the much awaited vaccine for the H1N1 virus, President Obama tells CNN.

Asked about plans for his family's health in an interview that airs Sunday on CNN's State of the Union, the president said he intends to consult with his Health and Human Services Secretary and the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"And whatever they tell me to do, I will do," Obama told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

"[H]ere's what I guarantee you," Obama also told King, "We want to get vaccinated. We think it's the right thing to do. We will stand in line like everybody else. And when folks say it's our turn, that's when we'll get it."

The president said high-risk populations for the H1N1 virus - like health care workers, pregnant women - and children will be first in line for vaccinations against the disease, also known as the "swine flu." So he speculated that his two daughters, who are both under the age of 12, would likely get vaccinated before him.

"I suspect that I may come fairly far down the line," Obama said.

Full story

1. PA Dem

I love that Republicans are so tuned in now to every word, every nuance and utterance that comes from the mouth of the President. Oh, if only you had been so forthright and had such attention to detail from 2000-2008. Where was that sense of seeking out the truth then? You're FRAUDS! You all created this mess and now, just now, are you critical of what the president says and does. Know what, I don't care about being politically correct anymore. I'm sick of it. Republicans need to sit their collectives butts down and either 1)Think of something to say or do other than "no"; or 2)shut up, because thus far your "help" has been useless!

September 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  2. Grizzly

Rightwingers: Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly. Coulter, Limbaugh, Birthers, Deathers, Tenthers, Tea-baggers, Loaded gun-toters, Holier-than-thou Fundamentalists:

PLEASE MOVE TO TEXAS and form your own hateful, fear-mongering, lying, obstructionist, self-righteous, bigoted, homophobic, polluted republic.

Then the rest of us can get on with the business of moving this country forward.

September 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. vick

all of you are the Clowns who make stupid comments about the president.... get a life you guys have nothing to do in your own private life but to make stupid,negative,ignorant comments that shows who you are as a person.

September 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. been there, done that

OK, we just got through with a round of H1N1 in our family. It is just the regular run-of-the-mill flu like every other year. I don't know that I would run out and vaccinate every single member of my family just because the president is getting vaccinated.

My dream is that the school would allow the kids a little leniency in completing their homework since I kept them home a full week to keep them from infecting other people. Our state has a strict ten day absence policy – we're down five days already and it's not even October.

September 20, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. jae

I just love our President. The thoughtfulness, insightfulness, and downright common sense approach he has to everything makes him a winner. I thoroughly enjoyed John King's interview with him, and I look forward to many more. I thank God for President Obama, and I wish he and his family many blessings.

September 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  6. cappicola

From the perspective of the cost to the taxpayers, it would have been a lot less expensive for President Obama and his family to receive their injections privately, inside the White House. Take a picture as proof if needed. These staged photo-ops, while no doubt comforting to some, require a lot of security, advance and contingency planning, on-site prep and screening, etc. It doesn't come free.

Please, Mr. Obama, Michelle and kids, stop spending the taxpayers' money on endless public appearances and publicity stunts that are nothing more than photo-ops.

September 20, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Tony Rosario

Every move , every sentence, and every breath that the President and his family make is under immense and senseless scrutiny. We have a president finally who is the epitome of the american story. Who conducts himself with thoughtful integrity and tries his best, who admits to errors, who is human and tries to take into consideration the needs of an entire country. According to the Repubs and basically a whole bunch of lifeless geeks that are profiting from a very broken system. the only thing wrong with this country is the black guy in the white house. Get over your lame selves. Give him a break and the courtesy due a sitting president. I am an american who is proud of his country and his president. Don't like it-Move

September 20, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. Debra R

Just to say....no one should begrudge POTUS getting his shot first, just as they should not have begrudged Cheny his vacationation. we need them at the job and healthy. it was just a silly remark he made. he's from Chicago and an attorney. He can't be that naive.

I was just responding to Terry's assertions on the theories of global warming and evolution. sorry if i sidetracked us all there for a minute.

I do not watch Fox news BTW I watch the history and discovery channels when i watch TV at all. I prefer reading....

September 20, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. JSL

The key words here is "like everyone else". If there's anything about this Presiident, that's when he feels most comfortable.

If you don't get that by now, your obviously from planet Fox.

September 20, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. Juan

Some of these comments would be great lines for standup comics if they were not be written by wanna be intelligent people. To state that President Obama, and his family will literally stand in a line for the H1N1 shot is not the way intelligent people understand his very simple reply to a simple question.

September 20, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  11. Dan J.

Hey CNN,
    If you want to get one up on Fox News Ch.
    Why don't you ask or better yet find out how President Obama
    paid for his education ? A fair question wouldn't you say?
    A lot of Americans believe that he put that he was a foreign student
    because he had to be a citizen of Indonesia to attend school in Indonesia.
    Thus he had to give up his American citizenship in order to do that. I believe that would be something he would want to cover up.
    If not why did and still does keep all his records sealed?
    Good luck.
    Dj

September 20, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  12. S Callahan

Read History......failure to heed the wisdom of God brought wrath....
    AS in the days of old.....again ...children , young woman, are targets of a disease that could wipe them out without caution....fortunately God allowed persons to be born that can develope a healing method (aka the shot) .....think of the amazing part of this...in a very short time it's claimed they have a drug to stop this in it's tracts (or at least lesson it's deadly effects). What concerns me is the additives to the drug.

September 20, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  13. Debby

WEll maybe CNN can do the coverage when Obama and the family stand in that line.

September 20, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. Donna in Ohio

It seems to me that people are ready to pounce on any thing the president says.Both from the left and the right. This isn't worth wasting a thought on. I don't agree with a lot of Obama's policies and NOT because he is black but to find fault with every thing he says is utterly ridiculous. I don't know how as a nation we can survive with such hate and disrespect. Not only for our leaders but for each other. I am not a right wing nut nor do I listen to Beck, Limbaugh,Hannity, or other right wingers nor do I listen to the left wingers either. I research and think for myself. Sometimes I think CNN treats us like we are a bunch of dummies.

September 20, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Fed up Monority

A Republican won't wait...........me, me, me......me first.

September 20, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  16. Deuce

From the front...

September 20, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  17. Simmy

Supporters of the Right – or is it now the Fourth Reich?
    Please leave the phrase: "You lie" alone......There are too many that still linger from your guy's (FPB) administration.....

Anarchistic attitudes cause rabble rousers to disrupt townhall meetings, continue to label our president as a non-citizen, spew lies out like bullets from an ak47m, confusing the elderly and those unlearned...Such unflattering qualities are what you, and others in your party, seem to enjoy embracing......It will be interesting to see the level of voters who support such evil and divisive views in the coming elections.....The saying of old is still true: "A man (woman) is known by the company he keeps." Word from the Father, come out from among them and be you separate.....Choose good over evil.....Find your souls, you (Republicans) in the valley of dry bones.....

September 20, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. No Hillary = No Obama

Is this guy for real? What, he's trying to make himself and his family like the Waltons? Give me a break. When the rest of us stand in line there won't be secret service agents all over the place. This just gives this display more time to get their pictures taken. Well, what do you expect when the head of the family is a camerafly?

September 20, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. Fan of Common Sense

If he really wants to impress me, he should limit his family to just one vacation per year.........just like everybody else. ;-)

September 20, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. Adelita

This debate may prove or disprove Darwin's "survival of the fittest" theory. We'll see how many of the conservative doubters survive flu season this year! This could make 2010 an even better year for the Libs!

September 20, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. Dan, TX

About 10 % of the students in College Station have had or currently have H1N1. No more testing is being done, we have it. Right now my 12 year-old daughter has, it. 103 degree fever on day 1 when the nurse called from school to have her come home. She was not sick that morning when she went to school, but had the 103 fever by 1 pm.

Tamiflu and alternating ibuprofen and tylenol. Vaccine for me scheduled for Sept. 23.

September 20, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. Alfred

I'm one "of the folks" and I say you shouldn't get it...

September 20, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. JES

The only reason he would stand in line would be to get more face time with the press who got him elected in the first place.

I look forward to 2012 so I can cast my vote for change the same way in 2010 for our great Congress Ha Ha.

September 20, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. g_fall

liar liar pants on fire!

Of course the president and his family will get special access to all vaccinations including this one and that is the way it should be!!! Just like they get special security attention, as that should be!!!! Just don't lie about it please.

September 20, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. ThinkAgain

ib: President Obama doesn't fly on Air Force One everyday! Get real!

September 20, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |