September 21st, 2009

DeLay's daughter drums up votes before his 'Dancing' debut

Tom DeLay's daughter is asking friends, family, and supporters to vote for the former lawmaker as he debuts tonight in a reality show dancing contest.

(CNN) - Tom DeLay, a one-time House Majority Whip, now has a vote counter of his own.

DeLay's daughter, Dani DeLay Ferro, blasted out an e-mail Monday in an effort to drum up votes for her father just as he is set to make his debut on the reality show "Dancing with the Stars" Monday night.

"[I]t's time to watch and vote!!," Ferro writes in the message. "The judges score is only half the overall score, our votes are the other half."

The daughter of the former Republican congressman offered multiple ways that recipients of her message can cast their votes during and after Monday night's show, adding: "Dad is really counting on us so now's a great time to show your support!!"

The e-mail was sent to friends, family, and the former lawmaker's political supporters, Ferro told CNN in an e-mail message.

Ferro isn't the only one excited about Monday night's premiere.

"I can't wait to show you my Cha Cha tonight," DeLay wrote Monday morning on the micro-blogging site Twitter, "We are ready. My foot is better. Life is sweet."

Almost a week ago, DeLay warned on Twitter that he might he might have suffered a stress fracture. "[I]t'll take more than that to keep me off the dance floor!" DeLay tweeted at the time.

Later the same day, DeLay used the popular social networking site to broadcast an update about his condition. "No stress fracture! . . . I live for another day."

Filed under: Tom DeLay
  1. Billy J ..Texas..

What a waste of space that crook is.

September 21, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. Isabelle

Republican Delay is just icky.

September 21, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  3. Gus The Willie

Like father like daughter, and as usual, Republicans fixing a vote or elections. These yahoos will win at any cost!

September 21, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. Terry from West Texas

I am from Texas and I will never cast a vote for Tom Delay for anything, unless I'm on the jury that is deciding his guilt or innocence. This man caused the US more problems than any other living human being during the past 15 years. Newt Gingrich is only a poor second.

Maybe he can dance, but he doesn't deserve any recognition for any thing ever again.

September 21, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  5. DJ

Delay is a lying swindler con-man that was indicted ...he should be behind bars, instead of glorified by stupid network executives.

September 21, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. Dennis

Are we trying to lay out an arguement that vote-rigging runs in the family here? What's the point of this story? What's next a story about how Sasha and Malia Obama picked up acorns–therefore? Why is either of these newsworthy? If you were paying me, I'd be finding real news. Keep your leads in the active voice–passivity hurts my eyeballs.

September 21, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Bill

Cheney's Daughter will also do the same when he is put to Trial and Jailed / Executed for Murder of 4300 US Troops.

September 21, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. victim of republican greed

If Delay doesn't win, I am sure the wingnuts will blame ACORN.

September 21, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  9. Joseph, Los Angeles California

Me vote for Delay? I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

September 21, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. victim of republican greed

Dancing with the Stars may well become, "Dancing With Those Who Should Be Behind Bars." Next season, maybe they can sign Bernie Maddoff to dance.

September 21, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

So "Dancing with the Stars" is now a political show?

Is it a feature of Fox News?

I won't be watching it this year. Getting B-O-R-I-N-G.

September 21, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. Buddy Gilmour

Nice to see the man's found his calling, especially since it doesn't include screwing up the country.

September 21, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. ran

I will not be watching this year because Delay should be in jail and he is no star.

September 21, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. No Incumbents 2010

Once again a Delay is trying to rig an election. But this time it's for something the American people really care about. Tom Delay is a trim, graceful and handsome dance prodigy who lights up the dance floor. Delay's sexy dance moves and charming personality will surely excite the audience, making everyone forget his resignation in disgrace and indictment in Texas.

September 21, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. rickymo

Why don't these people just go away. America needs to get new heroes.

September 21, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  16. Farrell in Houston

This is no more than a "poll" dance for DeLay in an attempt to get his crooked you know what back in the political spotlight when he should be in prison. He ran out of Texas because he was finished after he was found guilty of a political crime.

September 21, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. Clay

Why is this man not dancing his way to jail? Anyone who saw Bill Moyer's report knows that DeLay enabled slavery in Saipan and he was removed from Congress for a host of criminal activities, including rigging elections in Texas. It is an insult to all Americans that the television networks now allow this criminal to actually dance in the face of justice.

September 21, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  18. Cynthia - Arkansas

YOU DECIDE WHO TO VOTE FOR AFTER SOMEONE DANCES. It's suppose to be based on how well they performed. The Republicans think you just call your friends and steal this vote as well. Disgusting!

September 21, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. mjm

Terry from West Texas.....Newt Gingrich is only a poor second.

So you think that great economy in the 90's was because of....Clinton?

Go sell crazy somewhere else.

Democrats are looking at 9.7% unemployment, and they want to bad mouth Republicans.

Someone needs to ask Bush and Gingrich how to keep unemployment under 5%. I pick Obama....if he's not too busy campaigning.

September 21, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  20. Jimbo

Delay is a crook and an idiot. Hasn't he embarassed himself enough.

September 21, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  21. Beejay

I don't like what many members of the Republican party seem to stand for, but I wish him well. I'm just glad that Dancing With The Stars is back.

September 21, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. Greg, San Francisco, CA

More vote rigging by the Delay clan,

September 21, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  23. I am Newt's ex wife

Delay will have a group working behind the scenes making sure he gets his way....sound familiar.

I don't watch that show but now I will and every vote that I take will be against Delay.

Don't let that smike fool you...he is the devil himself!!!!!!!!!

September 21, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  24. Independent

He's not getting my vote...in fact I'm not even going to watch it....

September 21, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |