September 22nd, 2009

Byrd taken to the hospital after fall

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Robert Byrd, D-West Virginia, was taken to a Washington-area hospital Tuesday, after falling in his home, a spokesman confirms to CNN.

Jesse Jacobs, Byrd's spokesman, said the senator "stood up too fast this morning and fell down."

"To err on the side of caution his caregiver called an ambulance," Jacobs said in an e-mail to CNN. "He was taken to the hospital where he is currently being checked out. At this point in time there is no indication that he will be admitted."

Byrd was first elected to the House in 1952 and arrived in the Senate in 1958. The 91-year-old Byrd is the longest-serving senator in U.S. history.

Filed under: Robert Byrd
  1. Steph

I apologize for the inappropriateness of this statement, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with a government official who needs a caregiver.

September 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. No Incumbents 2010

By refusing to resign despite being unfit to serve, there is one senator who shoots the byrd at the American public. After serving in office since 1952 it is high time to give someone else a chance to serve. Byrd has turned the US Senate into his personal nursing home, with legislative assistants serving as caregivers at taxpayer expense. Byrd doesn't own his Senate seat, the people do.

September 22, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

HAve a speedy recovery Senator Byrd.

September 22, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Kip Barkley

Even though a democrat, Sen Byrd has served this country well. Unfortunately, newer democrats cannot stand the fact that 1/2 this country does not like their politics but Sen Byrd did and was able to work through this for the good of the American people. We need more people on both sides of the house to stand up on principle as Sen Byrd has. There should always be two side to a debate.

September 22, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  5. Robert

Byrd's long record will soon be ending. He visited me in the hospital when I was born in 1972 as part of a bit of local campaigning. He was already a 20 year political veteran then, and that was 37 years ago. Amazing longevity.

September 22, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Joe in CA

I wonder how many "sick" days he gets at his job. I know we common folk typically get 5 or 10, then we're docked, put on disability and REPLACED. Too bad the governemnet doesn't operate like the rest of the free world. Why are there term limits on the prez and governors but not on congress or the senate???? Go figure.

September 22, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  7. Fair is Fair

No doubt a complication of Byrd flu.

Get well, Senator. But please... consider retiring and enjoy what time you have left.

September 22, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  8. Anonymous

When a senator is old enough to need a caregiver, I'm not sure he should still be serving.

September 22, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  9. SlowGun

He's lucky he has government provided health care.

September 22, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  10. meemawfrom the south

Wishing him a very speedy recovery and furture good health.

September 22, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  11. Anonymous

When are the people of WV going to vote this guy out. Can you say weekend at Bernies. Sad this old man probably does not know his own name.

September 22, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  12. gary davis Harbor Oregon

ahh he will bounce back ..what a great person
    wish him well

September 22, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  13. Scott, Tucson

Another poster boy for Term Limits.

September 22, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  14. Carol

I don’t understand why this man is still allowed to serve in the Senate. He can’t even stand up on his own. If you’re literally not fit for duty, you should be required to resign, or in his case….retire. It's ridiculous.

September 22, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  15. Aaron

Senator Byrd should retire. He is not strong or well enough to continue in public office. Senator Byrd has been in office for decades and has served his constituents and the nation very well, but it is time for him to retire. The man has been seriously ill for years and seems to be getting worse with each passing year. I hope that he will not run for re-election once his term expires.

September 22, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. lloyd jones

Get well soon senator Byrd.

September 22, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  17. yuri

Get well soon.

September 22, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  18. Enough

Time to Retire. There needs to be age limits.

September 22, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  19. joe m

i'm sure that in his time the senator has done some good, but i ask again, why is this man still in the senate?

September 22, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. Stacy from Leesburg, VA

I am sorry to laugh Anonymous' statement about throwing Sen. Byrd out. Are you serious? enator Byrd is one of the top bacon-bringers in politics. They are not going to throw him out because he gets that fat government cash and numerous government agencies in WV.

September 22, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. lis

Just another reason why there should be term limits on every office held in the United States.

September 22, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  22. Gary

I wish Senator Byrd the best and hope he is well. However, I think the man should consider retirement and allow someone else who is younger and healthier to step in. Perhaps term limits for legislators should be considered.

September 22, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  23. Kelly

First of all, I wish Senator Byrd well. Second, to the people of WV, do you REALLY feel like you have someone WORKING for you when this statement applies, "the senator stood up too fast this morning and fell down." Don't get me wrong – I'm not for mandatory retirement, but I've had two grandparents live well into their 90s and they were fairly active people with daily living, but neither of them could have kept up with a Senator's schedule nor would I have wanted either one of them to work that hard. I understand Senator Byrd has a great desire to serve the great State of West Virginia but please, it is time to quit. And I also had a reality shock at the "caretaker" comment. Although it is possible that a Senator could serve while needing a caretaker, like if they had a physical disability, I'm not as comfortable thinking it is someone of such advanced age. If it were my state, I'd work my butt off to find another Democrat to run for the office!

September 22, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  24. We Won Get Over It

Well he has 9 more years to go to beat the republican Strom Thurmond's record of 100 years old before he retired...when he starts having to have two good lookers walk him up the aisle to his seat, like Thurmond did, and have some one hold his arm and guide his signature like Thurmond did, I guess he will decide to retire.

September 22, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |