September 22nd, 2009

Jenny Sanford scores book deal

Jenny Sanford's memoir will be published in May 2010.
Jenny Sanford's memoir will be published in May 2010.

(CNN) – Jenny Sanford, the estranged wife of South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, is writing a book.

Sanford has sold the rights to her "inspirational memoir" to Ballantine Books, a division of Random House, the publisher told CNN Tuesday. The memoir is slated for release in May 2010.

Ballantine did not disclose the financial terms of the deal. Aside from a flattering interview with Vogue magazine, Sanford has remained mostly silent since June, when her husband publicly revealed an affair with an Argentine woman. In July, she and the couple's four boys moved out of the governor's mansion.

Gov. Sanford also had a deal to write a book about fiscal conservatism before the scandal short-circuited his political career. Sentinel Publishing was planning to publish "Within Our Means" in March 2010, but the company released Sanford from the deal in July, calling it "a mutual decision."

Filed under: Jenny Sanford • Mark Sanford • Popular Posts • South Carolina
  1. Millie Bea

I hope she's not- up until now she has shown dignity we have not seen in politics for a while.

September 22, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. AGoodScout

Here's the bottom line: Jenny Sanford is being paid to write a book, because due to the scandal surrounding her husband the publisher has some assurance that it will sell. If it doesn't interest you, don't buy it, but this is nothing more than the American way at work i.e. if someone is willing to pay for your goods or services then why not? As for the across-the-aisle fingerpointing, politicians of both stripes have been found guilty of breaking marriage vows. I would agree thought, that it is particularly disgusting when one holds oneself up as a paragon of "family values" and "strong Christian morals" and is nothing but a hypocrite and liar. I think we set ourselves up when we expect the unreasonable, that is that our elected officials be superior human beings–who cares what they do in private if they aren't breaking the law?

September 22, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. KLK

It's good that she'll be telling her own story. Good for you, Jenny.

September 22, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. John Black Hills/SD

There's always a market for books that belongs next to your toilet when you've got 10 minutes to maintain your regularity.

September 22, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. HouseDiva

jenny better make that money. Cash in on her problem...i'd by the book just to give the finger to every stupid woman who stands by her low down cheatin good for nothin husband.

September 22, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  6. a canuck

I hope Elizabeth Edwards reads it !!!!

September 22, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. Mark from Louisiana

Her and John Edwards wife should have written the book together so it would be bipartisan

September 22, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. Kameki, NY

Does she really care about her kids? If she does, then she shouldn't write this book because it will cause them more pain now and in the future.

September 22, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Puff the Magic Dragon

How tacky. Why must everybody air their dirty laundry for money? But I guess if Sarah Palin says it ok, it must be ok. No class.

September 22, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Linda

I guess we should ask every woman whose husband cheated on her to write a book. He CHEATED!!!! THEY ALL DO!!! What can you write about. Let's see..... I was blindsided. He cheated on our family. I was devasted. OK, end of book. Please, I have had enough of these women. People get cheated on everyday. WE don't books about it. We need books from people who stayed married till death do us part and never strayed. NOW THOSE I WILL READ.

September 22, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. Terry from Texas

Americans love dirt. The more gossip the better!. Our news channels are mostly gossip now, not news. We learn who's mad at who, who's sleeping with whom, where he did it, when he did it, what she said about it, what her neighbor thinks about it, what her kid's teacher thinks about it, and if it was safe sex.

I want dirt, dirt, and more dirt. This democracy stuff is boring!. I don't care what the exchange rate is or whether China is going to invade India ... tell me who Britney is dating and whether she has put out yet.

September 22, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. Bonnie

Go for it Jenny, Another Republican family Values husband what is it with that party and all the values thing they talk the talk but boy oh boy they cannot walk the walk. If they just did not try to be so holy holy holy and then there is the famous house in D.C. where are of theses men stay which is very suspicious.

September 22, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Cambone1

Oh for goodness sakes, I thought he was bad – she's worse.

September 22, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Brain Dead in Ohio

It's okay Republicans. We know Dems have affairs too. Just not one of them ever seved on a "Family Values" platform or committee.

September 22, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. Linda B., Ga.

Jenny, it's "time" to tell the "truth" and nothing but the "truth".

September 22, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. chuck

She can call it "Soul Mate".

September 22, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  17. republicans hate america

christians always looking to cash in on their tragedies.

September 22, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. Sniffit

Yawn. Haha...so how do the millions she will get factor into the calculation of alimony payments under SC divorce law? I mean, she wouldn't have a book offer UNLESS he cheated, right? So she should be thanking him lol

September 22, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Pamela

You go girl!! I will buy copies for every girlfriend of mine, and a copy for each room in my house, my car and my office so that I don't have to carry one copy around. We need more stand up women like you Miss. Might as well cash in on the misery your idiotic husband caused you. Pay back time girl. Revenge has never been sweeter!

September 22, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. Karen

I wish this family would just shut up!! Either work out your problems or divorce and each of you go on with your lives.

September 22, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. Babs

Oh, please, no.

September 22, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  22. Typical

Typical american garbage! Have tragedy strike home and write about it in a "tell all " book and have every idiot who cares BUY IT!..what a joke...opportunists!

September 22, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. Paul Ernest Show

I do not know why anyone will cheat on such a good looking woman. I say "good for her" if she makes a little money. Let her just not write a book to wash their dirty laundry before the world.

September 22, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. in WI

I bet she campaigns for democrats now.

September 22, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Muffet in Georgia

Same story different cast of players.

September 22, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |