September 23rd, 2009

Extending jobless benefits: In Senate's hands

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – More than a million people could receive an additional 13 weeks of unemployment benefits under a bill approved by the House on Tuesday.

The bill extends benefits for those living in states with jobless rates higher than 8.5%. Some 27 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, fall into this category. The national unemployment rate hit 9.7% in August, the highest in 26 years.

The legislation now moves to the Senate. While there is support for the measure on both sides of the aisle, senators may make significant changes to it. Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., is seeking to expand the bill to give additional weeks of benefits to people in all states, not just high unemployment ones, an aide said.

Senate Republicans, meanwhile, want to look at other funding approaches, said a spokesman for Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

Full Story

Filed under: Max Baucus • Senate
  1. GOP

Great spend more money our country does not have.

I guess as long as they can get a few votes, it's worth it in their minds.

September 23, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. qmastertoo

I simply can not believe someone is talking bad about America in front of Communist. And you people wonder why America rejected her brand of politik

September 23, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. Doug, New Jersey

Take away the welfare from the entitlement class and use that money for these great Americans who are out of work due to Obama's politices that are holding back the natural market place recovery.

Obviously, reducing taxes will allow more small businesses, the backbone of our economy, to create more jobs. However, Obama libs don't want that, they really just want to create big government jobs, like his civilian army that well sure does have some similarities to some other things leftist dictators did in the last century. If Democrats cared about small businesses they wouldn't allow the Democratic Union thugs to bully the small businesses out of business.

September 23, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Nea

This is much needed, at least it will offer relief. For the ones complaining about Government involvement just a reminder this is another Government run program so you may want to reconsider. to others this is a Blessing.

September 23, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Four and The Door

It's easier than waiting for those 400,000 jobs promised from the Stimulus bill the Democrats crammed through! That would be one long dreary wait.

Remember Speaker Pelosi? " It's all about jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs!" She said it 4 times for emphasis. Where are they?

September 23, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

The city I live in: 7.6% unemployment rate.

My state is not doing badly–we're below the national average.
    Still, that meathead Rick Perry should have accepted the Recovery Act funding so that those who cannot get employment can go to school and get new skills–the biggest barrier to employment.

Dumbest governor EVER: RICK PERRY.

Why do Republicans hate America?

September 23, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. ICARE

Yes, kick off green energy research NOW!! so there will be plenty of jobs in the future!!!

A friend and I were discussing the Green factor and he told me that if we would just go crazy and invest in green energy, there will be so many jobs out there that it will be overwhelming.

We should have invested in America for the past 8 years instead of digging holes around!!!

Please think about green energy investment and stop thinking about the war. It has been there since day 1 of Adam and Eve and 'til the end of time, it will still be there. Read Revelation...

September 23, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. aneanderthal

Ahh, isn't this prosperity we got when all of those billions went in to the stimulus bill wonderful? Obama sure sold a bill of goods on that, but he did help the UAW and I guess to him that was the whole point, steal money from real taxpayers to give to his non working, dope smoking supporters.

September 23, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  9. Jeff Brown in Jersey

The GOP will try to screw these poor, out of work people, but they will not succeed!

September 23, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  10. J

Hey! I live in CT, and we don't qualify! But I need that money the same with people in other state. Please stop the injustice!

September 23, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. Debra R

At least these people used to have jobs as opposed to the welfare bums whio won't work.

September 23, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  12. John Black Hills/SD

If we can keep the fat cats well fed, and keeping their fleet of Benz's in the garage, we can help that out of work single parent who deserves what fat cats expect, and demand while they have their private jets detailed. Right Big 3????????????!

September 23, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  13. JEAN - ATL

Crazy Mitch, what are those other funding approaches you want to offer up? Please, just tell us and don't make us wait too long.

September 23, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  14. mjm

So....are they going to create jobs or just extend unemployment benefits for the next 4 years?

September 23, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. haren

why 8.5%?
    who set that bench mark?
    they should extend benefit to all who has difficulty to find a job

September 23, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Bush's "Suck"cess: My Pet Goat, Mission Accomplished & Heckuva Job Brownie

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Being the dishonest man he is with his penchant for amoebic-brain-celled-creativity, I'm sure Mr. McConnell will find some lie to spread about socialism or even create a new "-ism" for this round of debate. He'll likely be a big weenie and send out his spokesmodel Ms. Palin or Ms. Bachmann to start the lies.

September 23, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  17. Jefe

I don't want my tax dollars helping unemployed Americans disproportionately. If you're going to extend benefits for some states, extend them for all. What a bunch of b.s. Illinois already receives only about $0.75 in federal spending for every tax dollar paid, while Alaska gets almost $2 for every dollar paid. When will the blue states finally stand up and stop dumping our wealth to the red states, who can't afford to stand on their own?

September 23, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  18. Chipster

I wonder how many of these people complain about "Big Government" and want government to stop "wasting money." I don't suppose they'll consider this wasted. It's only wasted if it's money for someone else. I know a lot of Georgians who complain that FEMA and other federal agencies should let the states take care of their own disasters. Now, they're all screaming for federal aid because of the floods.

Of course, they believe they're different somehow from the people in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Interesting how everyone hates government until they need it.

Unfunded mandates of the past 8 years have bankrupted the states. Sadly, too so many people don't even understand that.

September 23, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. worriedmom

Before all you Libs blame in on the Republicans, why don't you see what your great leader Queen Nancy wanted. Only states with 8.5% and higher which would have eliminated certain states. Of course you LIbbers will still defend your precious few,right or wrong.

September 23, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  20. "FUN"EMPLOYMENT is way to long

Thats it i'm gonna force my management to get rid of me so I can take a two year vacation and collect unemployment benefits and maybe since i'll have two years, go and get my masters. this is rediculus, i have friends on "fun"employment now and they are also going back to school and the gov does not know that they are still collecting "fun"employment as long as they take classes part time. Thats free money while getting a masters or an assosiates or completing a bachelors degree WHILE YOU ARE STILL GETTING PAID BY THE GOVERNMENT. I a dem and I believe unemployment is to be used only in extreme curcumstances and only for up to six months...other than that if your not working by then they your either not looking hard enough, not compromissing and expecting more pay, or are not willing to do whatever to make ends meat and instead feel that the same job with more pay is entitled to you. I'm pissed while i'm sitting here at my desk earning a paycheck watching my friends and other citizens take advantage of my tax dollars on "fun"employment. To bad i like my job and don't wanna leave or else i would, why not!

September 23, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  21. A Democrat of 51 years who has finally got smart to their follishness.

WHose idea is this. This is another total farce like Obama's health plan. I'm not gripping about extending unemployment checks. the Problem is only 27 states. This sounds like communism or socialism to the core. You say in those 27 states the unemployed are suffering more than the unemployed in the rest of the nation. THIS IS BULL. From a retiree who has no stake in unemployment. BUT FAIR IS FAIR. YOU CAN'T GIVE TO A PARTIAL NATION WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE OTHER POOR UNEMPLOYED. WAKE-UP AMERICA WITH THIS DEMOCRAT BULLDONKEY.

September 23, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  22. Randolph Carter

Max Baucus is rethinking his health bill. Here's what he's thinking: "Hmmm... how can I fit more giveaways to the insurance companies in here?" Have a nice day!

September 23, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Allen

I have a question, what do you do when you have been out of a job for over a year? My brother has not been able to find work, for over a year. Does this mean, that my brother can apply for Welfare? I'm sure the answer is NO. I guess if he was a illegal un-documented person then he would be able to get Welfare. I find it sad...as long as you are illegal in this country. You will have the red carpet rolled out for you. But if you are a legal US citizen you get NOTHING no help what so ever!

September 23, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. S Callahan

Over a million people on unemployement insurance (this doesn't include those without it) .....amazing....so essentially the politico are in a dam if you do dam if you don't position......
    Imagine this nation with one million (plus family memebers) without any source of income.....and to think this country is anexity ridden now....just imagine..... Better pass this thing .

September 23, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  25. Bugl3t | Ruth, CA

Hey, this downhill slide in jobs began September 11th, 2001 or shortly thereafter, to tell the truth. And after those of us who lost jobs because of fear of flying... the next hit on the job market came when the first of two wars started. The Iraq war was the nail in the coffin of our economy.

So tell me, will those who lost "employment" because of 9/11 or Afghanistan or Iraq get to go back and claim more unemployment?

Fair's fair.