September 25th, 2009
1 year ago

Clinton speaks out on decision to support same-sex marriage

(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is speaking out about his decision to change his personal stance on same-sex marriage.

In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, the former president said that while he still believes the issue should be left up to the states, he is no longer personally opposed to same-sex marriage as he once was.

"I was against the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage nation-wide, and I still think that the American people should be able to play this out in debates," Clinton said. "But me, Bill Clinton personally, I changed my position.

"I am no longer opposed to that," he added. "I think if people want to make commitments that last a lifetime, they ought to be able to do it."

The full interview will air on Anderson Cooper 360 at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Popular Posts • Same-sex marriage
  1. biz

You would think that all of the right wing nuts would be for gay marriage. The government intruding into people's lives, the very thing they are against. You may even be able to call it a form socialism...

September 25, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Peter

What the media blitz for with the clinton?

September 25, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  3. justin

Too late.

September 25, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  4. LacrosseMom(stuck in moderation)

We must set HATE aside or risk killing our Union. Even though I believe, as a religious person, that marriage is between a man and a woman, I do not hate Gays.

I have been waiting for a member of the Gay community to explain why they are so set on "marriage"? Call me stupid, I just want to understand.

I am a Liberal-Catholic, voted for President Obama, just so you know that I am not a narrow minded-GOPer.

Please, someone explain WHY its SO important that it be marriage and not Civil Union? Thank you.

Peace everyone.

September 25, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  5. Adam

Gay marriage is picking up more supporters with each day – it's only a matter of time before everyone has the rights they each deserve! It's WAY past due!

September 25, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  6. Marc M

They can make a committment right now, nothing is stopping them.

It's all about taxes and health care.

September 25, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  7. Recruitment perhaps?

Why is it that public schools are teaching students to be proud to be gay, but teaching heterosexual students abstinance? Are they trying to tell teens that if they want to have sex (and what teen doesn't) to only have sex with their own sex?

September 25, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  8. Anne E.

It's nice to see Mr. Clinton's change of mind. Actions speak louder than words, and so I hope he'll be at least half as active in trying to promote tolerance and acceptance in this issue as he is committed to his Global Initiative.
    That said, I totally support same-sex marriage. At least they've found someone to love and make a commitment!
    Homosexuality isn't a "disease" that people can "catch" by being exposed to LGBTs, and
    Tom Coburn's chief of staff is...ahem, skewed in his thinking, to say the least.
    And I don't see anything wrong with same-sex couples wanting to raise a family, either. If they can provide a loving, nurturing environment, isn't that better than children exposed to physical and other forms of abuse in a heterosexual home?

September 25, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. curtis

It's interesting that the christian conservatives are saying "small government, not government intervention in their business, no health reform it will raise my taxes," but I cant marry the guy I've been involved with since 1987 and been living with since 1993. Suddenly it's ok for Uncle Sam to intervene. hmmm may I'd buy a loaded automatic weapon and go stand in the doorway at the local cathedral.

September 25, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  10. Laurie

I'm glad Clinton has changed his mind. I agree with his comments. If consenting adults are willing to commit the rest of their lives to being a family, then who are we to judge or get in their way.

September 25, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  11. troy

I wonder just how many of the Evangelical women who support Biblical marriage would be truely willing to share thier husbands with thier new "sister wives", to kick off thier shoes and stay in the kitchen, and to submit to regular whippings.

September 25, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. Peter

Human destroying themselves! if you can't reproduce thats the end of human kind. If HIV aids virus was from monkeys, how long have those cameroonians tribe were eating monkeys? may be since the time immemorial! so the theory of monkey eating is false!!. HIV aids is a disease from homosexuals, if you mix crap and sperm tell me whether you wont come up with a time bomb disease! its just a common sense theory and it has nothing to do with the bible!!!. Bill you can't force a weirdo on people!

September 25, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  13. Justin

The Bible is not the law of the land.

If you think it says not to do something, and you respect it, then don't do it yourself. Try to convince other people not to do it.

Just don't claim it as a reason for their to be laws on a subject.

You personally will never be forced to marry a person of the same sex by the state. You will not be forced to attend, or oficiate. You will not be forced to invite them over for dinner and be nice to them.

For those of you who are making the slippery slope argument, there is a bright line guide: consent. i

September 25, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  14. Kevin

So what? Ronald Reagan changed his mind about gun control after he left office (supporting both the Brady Bill in 1991 and later the assault-weapon ban in 1994). Guns still haven't been banned.

September 25, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  15. Brian

two gay people that love each other have more of a right to get married than two straight people that don't love each other. enough said

September 25, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  16. Dewey

Im sure Bill is just doing what so many others in this country have been doing for the past 12 years...letting the media do his thinking for him (more evident in the past 3 years).

September 25, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. Angi's mom

There will come a day when this homosexual bigotry and ignorance will come to an end. Marriage is not a religious issue, but one of the heart. It's a matter of two people loving, being the best they can be together, being able to take care of each other with the same dignity and legal rights as anyone else.

September 25, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Come on! What happen to you? Maybe you are nuts.

September 25, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  19. Steve (the real one)

Interesting how as soon as Christians reply, some of you turn into Bible scholars. Jesus FULFILLED the law. That means the dietary laws (which BTW never applied to Christians, since the Christian church started in the NEW TESTAMENT and not the Old!) DOES NOT APPLY. In addition, somebody please show me where polygamy is mentioned in the NEW TESTAMENT! BTW the NEW TESTAMENT or new covenent or new promise started at the death of JESUS, not in the book of MATTHEW! Lastly for the last time separation of Church and State is NOT found in the Constitution. It was in a letter from Thomas Jefferson to CHRISTIANS in the northeast (Boston, I believe). Just google it and stop spreading an untruth!

September 25, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. JonDie

Any two people, heterosexuals or homosexuals, an uncle without children and his favoriate niece or nephew, an elderly person and a younger person, should be able to form a civil union so that both are legally taken care of.

In France, gay marriage was overwhelmingly voted down. But when civil union was made available to all, it passed overwhelmingly. And most Frenchmen and women who have a civil union agreement are heterosexuals because it's a win-win solution for everyone.

But we Americans are so stupid in our prejudices.

September 25, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  21. i want my finger back

that's because he isn't running for office.

September 25, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  22. Tom

Wow! Bill Clinton does a flip-flop, who would have guessed?

September 25, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  23. Eric

Bill Clinton changes is postion and it makes news??? This guy doesn't have a moral compass its more of a weather vain that suits his momentary needs.

September 25, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  24. Ed

What did you do?

September 25, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  25. anthony

Christians are insane idiots who are afraid of things they know nothing about.

September 25, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |