September 25th, 2009
1 year ago

Clinton speaks out on decision to support same-sex marriage

(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is speaking out about his decision to change his personal stance on same-sex marriage.

In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, the former president said that while he still believes the issue should be left up to the states, he is no longer personally opposed to same-sex marriage as he once was.

"I was against the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage nation-wide, and I still think that the American people should be able to play this out in debates," Clinton said. "But me, Bill Clinton personally, I changed my position.

"I am no longer opposed to that," he added. "I think if people want to make commitments that last a lifetime, they ought to be able to do it."

The full interview will air on Anderson Cooper 360 at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Popular Posts • Same-sex marriage
  1. JayG

Since when does Clinton have any room to talk about marriage?? whether its between man and a woman or not. Keep your opinion to yourself Bill.

September 25, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Tencee

Politicians do not change their minds for nothing. It is either that Bill Clinton or Chelsea is gay, or he is paving the way for a paving the way for Hillary or Chelsea in 2012.
    According to the Bible, same sex relationship is an abomination. The word marriage refers to a man and a woman coming together in holy matrimony. If people decide to formalize their relationships as homosexuals, they shd call it something else- not marriage.
    Clinton needs deliverance.
    I am a christian and I have democratic beleifs.

September 25, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. C Lo

Smiley,

come again??? maybe in english this time....

September 25, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. Kristine

Awesome Bill! It is OK to change one's belief. Can we just let people be & do?

September 25, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Jasmine in Germany

Thanks Don: Don September 25th, 2009 5:34 pm ET

And the international stage can't figure out why the US is so backward when it comes to civil rights. Search my comment below:

Jasmine in Germany September 25th, 2009 5:11 pm ET

September 25, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  6. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

Bill Clinton is right.

September 25, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. Moderate Democrat

S September 25th, 2009 5:35 pm ET

My mother is losing her health insurance. I would like to marry her so that she can be added to my benefits plan. Problem?
    -----------------------–
    Move to the south and become a republican...they do it all the time out there. PS: Be careful of the pastors, they will do things to your son that he would not like being done to him.

September 25, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. Steve (the real one)

Why is it that in the name of their religious beliefs.. people that are against same sex marriage or abortion oppose to something it is NONE of their business
    -------------------------
    Whatever people do in the privacy of their homes is their business, unless it is illegal! When the government involves itself, it then becames my business! Answer this:
    Why are school sreading about gay penguins or Billy with his 2 dads or Molly with her 2 moms to little kids? You and I both know what the agenda is!
    Lastly, I wil freely practice my faith! Still America, right? I am not interested in turning this country into a theocracy! I am however, still free to believe abortion and same sex marriage is wrong!

September 25, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. John in Iowa

So funny to see the idiots posting here that are saying that if you allow gay marriage it will lead to marrying animals.
    So much crap from such small minds.

September 25, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Ray

Rick

What's the difference? You're taking life away. Why is justified in one situation and not another?

Again..this was directed at someone who proclaimed to have a set, STRICT code of morals by which to live. So logically....

September 25, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. John in Washington

Of course Bill supports same-sex marriage... he doesn't understand what it means to be in a faithful traditional marriage.

Let the LBGT have their Civil Unions, but it needs to stop there. Marriage is between a man and woman, period. Once we change that for one interest group, then another, and another are going to come out of the woodwork demanding their marriage rights. Where does it end? I'll tell you where it ends... it ends with the greatest society on Earth losing the values which made us great to begin with. Pretty soon people are going to be running around demanding recognition for their special interest group; rather than coming together to be one country.

September 25, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. I married my sister in S.C

My whole family are inbred mutants.

September 25, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. Roger

That's fine if he is for it. But gay Marriage is not acceptable. I have no problem if they want to have Civil Unions.

September 25, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. Jacob

the fear and ignorance on this page is astounding!

and for all of you making homophobic posts, i guarantee each of you has a gay brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin or co-worker. So shame on all of you!

September 25, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  15. Patriot

Religious fundamentalists just pick and choose things from the Bible to support their hateful agendas. The Bible says that eating shellfish is an abomination in the sight of God, and those who work on Sunday should be put to death.

Let's see–I guess millions of Americans who are guilty of these sins and others can now be discriminated against or executed.

Right-wing fundamentalists are the modern Pharisees–nothing but dogmatic hypocrites. Their actions are the opposite of what Jesus taught.

September 25, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  16. Ellen

That's fine if he is for it. But gay Marriage is not acceptable. I have no problem if they want to have Civil Unions, but unfortunately, this is going to be forced on us no matter what. "Democracy" in action.

September 25, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  17. Fan of Common Sense

Bill Clinton, the human windsock. You know, I wonder if this guy has one single belief or principle that he would NOT be willing to sacrifice for the sake of being popular. After all of these years since leaving the White House, he probably still gets up every morning and reads the daily tracking polls on each issue to see what he should believe for that particular day. He reminds me of the annoying, insecure kid in highschool who would do anything to get the other kids to like him. Bill is hopelessly addicted to popularity. He's pathetic.

September 25, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  18. Susan in Sunnyvale, CA

Natural for a man and woman, you say? Haven't you noticed male on male sex among animals? Cats, dogs, sheep, horses, etc. That's as natural as you can get.
    The Mayflower Compact signers realized that nowhere in the NEW Testament is a minister required to make a marriage legal. Can anybody site chatpet and verse otherwise? New Testament Only.

September 25, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. JayG

John in Iowa: Where will the line be drawn?? why not marry multiple people you poligamist! you sir are the reason this country is headed the way its headed. Pretty soon it will be 3 people marriages and then marry children too?? I'm sure thats fine for you, but not for me.

September 25, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  20. Mark

IMO, they should remove marrage all together from the gov books and remove all special rights for everyone.

This way all couples would be required to fill out the appropriate documents to share whatever they need, making ALL unions domestic unions. The religious can have what ever ceremony they wish.

Say no to church and State.

September 25, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. sarah

Ah this debate reminds me why I am not a christian anymore. Such judgment and self righteousness from people who are imperfect themselves. Everyone in this country deserves equal rights, and should enjoy the same benefits as everyone else. And it is just asinine to compare a gay couple getting married to someone marrying an animal. Come on. An animal cannot speak and consent to marriage, and neither can a child. And if someone wants to marry multiple men/women, that is none of my business as long as everyone is a willing participant, and no abuse is involved. Who are any of you to tell someone how to live there life? Jesus himself? Please.

September 25, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  22. Clem Christian

I've been married for 20 years to the same woman, but if those evil gay people are allowed to get married, my marriage will be destroyed. It's a good thing most of my heterosexual friends are divorced, or gays would threaten their marriages, too.

September 25, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. Typical Republican

Stop it...we MUST protect the wholly union of man and woman, like Brittney Spears marriage...all 15 minutes of it!

September 25, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  24. Angie

This makes me happy. It's just nice to see someone finally come to their senses and realize that they have no right to interfere in the lives of two consenting adults. If they want to get married, let them. They're not hurting anyone. This is America. You know, land of the free? Yeah. it's not "land of the free...but only if you're straight..." Go Bill!

September 25, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Joe Mustich, Justice of the Peace

It's time.

Cheers, Joe Mustich, Justice of the Peace,
    Washington, Connecticut, USA.

All summer long couples have been coming to CT to wed from all around the country. Congrats to all!

And let's not forget that marriage is firstly a civil matter in America, as marriage licenses are issued by and recorded in town halls, not church halls, or mosques or temples.

And to the marriage foes, and sexually phobic, please find something else to do with your time, because life's just too short. Find love...

September 25, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |