September 25th, 2009

Obama's Broadway seats to be auctioned

The Broadway seats Barack and Michelle Obama sat in that are currently on the auction block.

(CNN) – The seats Barack and Michelle Obama sat in while watching a Broadway play during a "date" in New York City are now on the auction block for charity.

The money will go to Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS.  According to their Web site, Broadway Cares is "the nation's leading industry-based, not-for-profit AIDS fundraising and grant making organization."

The seats – K101 and K102 – belonged to the Belasco Theater, the second oldest house on Broadway that is currently being renovated.  The Obamas saw the show "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" in late May as part of a "date" the president took the first lady to in New York City.

The opening bid is $500.  The auction winner will also receive the show's poster, a signed Playbill and the framed front page of the New York Post with a full page photograph of the President and First Lady giving the cast a standing ovation.

Online pre-bids are being taken right now through tomorrow September 26 and the live auction will take place on Sunday at 5 P.M. ET.

Follow Eric Kuhn on Twitter @KuhnCNN

Filed under: Michelle Obama • President Obama
  1. Michele

But a 'maybe' dinner with Palin was sold for what? This is a great cause, but what in the world would people do with these seats? I guess if you own a theater they could be incorporated into your seating area somehow. Otherwise, I can't see anyone having a use for them (much like flying to Alaska to eat with Palin...yuck!)

September 25, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. Lannie, FL

I wish I could afford them. But I can't , so I'll have to dream of maybe meeting the president and shaking his hand someday.

Obama/Biden 2012

September 25, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  3. Jill, CO

Trust me, these chairs will be well over the starting bid. There are a lot of people with money who can afford them. I think it would be an honor to have something that was remotely related to the first African American couple.

Love it.

Obama/Biden 2012

September 25, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  4. Fitz in Texas

I'll pass....I have much better things to spend my money on.

September 25, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  5. GGG

WHO CARES!!!! real honest news would be good for a change CNN!!!

September 25, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. pc

Those seats are valuable. People see the value in the Obamas. They are awesome!!!

September 25, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. Wolfgirl

I wonder if the shoe that was thrown on President Bush in Iraq will go on Auction soon?

September 25, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  8. Chris

I like the Obamas, but this is ridiculous– sychophancy.

September 25, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. Carnell From Detroit, MI USA

I See Amoung Some Of These Blogs That There's No Shortage Of Ignorant And Hateful Comments To Be Made. I'll Say Good Luck To The Winning Bids And To Charity.

September 25, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  10. Loup Garou 782

No doubt they will be purchased by someone who wants to spend the rest of their days smelling the seats, someone like tingly legged Chris Wallace or Barney Frank.

September 25, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  11. LYNETTE IN CA

The chairs will go for quite a bit of money!
    The nay sayers here will eat crow and lots of it!
    Sad, but true that you really have no clue.

September 25, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  12. New Age Democrat

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

September 25, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  13. David

I'm a big supporter of the President but I think this is silly

September 25, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. kyle

I wouldn't bid on it. But I would def. comment on this article and prove how much of a loser I am... I see I have many people in here feeling the same way.. haha

September 25, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. Debby

You have got to be kidding. If anyone bids on this has lost it.

September 25, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  16. No Hillary = No Obama

Are you kidding? This takes the cake.

September 25, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  17. CHRISEZ

Wow! I heard seats to a Broadway show are expensive, but I had no idea! Bet they are sold for a couple thousand.

September 25, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  18. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

63K for lunch with the she twit and the seccionist, perhaps their last public appearance before the divorce, then these two seats should bring in quite a bit more!

September 25, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  19. grant turnage

this is STUPID....why is everyone so amazed with our pres and his wife?

September 25, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  20. grant turnage

maybe if we're lucky soon they'll auction off the couple's dirty q-tips!

September 25, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  21. rjt

probably couldn't get the stink off of them so they need to be sold

September 25, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. joe m

i guess anything touched by the president is potential merchandize. what's next? the napkin they used during their first night at the white house? just my two cents, but this is getting a little silly.

September 25, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  23. kimberly

wow, the level of ignorance goes up a notch every time a republican SPEAKS! These seats are from one of the oldest Broadway theatres in NY, and are a piece of history, and the fact that The Obamas, the GREATEST first family to live in the White House, besides the Clintons, is awesome! A great charity will be getting alot of money. I mean if some idiot paid 63K to eat moose burgers with that twit palin, these will go for hundreds of thousands. I am so proud of our first family, grace, class, and brains, something sorely missing over the last 8 years. We had barny fife and a stepford wife in there, and it will take awhile to fix that disaster

September 25, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  24. YBM

They will never be able to get the smell out of those chairs. I would not want them in my neighborhood.

September 25, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |