September 25th, 2009

Whitman: My voting record is inexcusable

Whitman said she was 'wrong' for not voting for several decades.
Whitman said she was 'wrong' for not voting for several decades.

LOS ANGELES (CNN) - Meg Whitman says she was wrong.

The Republican candidate for governor of California Thursday night issued a statement on her failure to vote in multiple elections in California. Whitman, the former eBay CEO and former adviser and surrogate for John McCain's presidential campaign, calls her own record "inexcusable" and "simply wrong."

Whitman, who officially announced her bid for governor at the beginning of the week, issued her statement after GOP gubernatorial challenger Steve Poizner criticized her for her lack of votes, and after an investigation by the Sacramento Bee newspaper that pointed to her failure to vote over several decades in five states where Whitman has lived since 1979.

"Voting is a precious right that all Americans should exercise. I have repeatedly said that my voting record is inexcusable. I failed to register and vote on numerous occasions throughout my life. That is simply wrong and I have taken responsibility for my mistake." said Whitman in her statement.

"California needs leaders who are accountable for their actions. I take responsibility for mine, while my opponent, Steve Poizner, runs from his. On everything from his position on taxes to his political contributions, Steve hides behind others or misrepresents himself. I look forward to a vigorous campaign and to a discussion of the issues that matter to the people of California," added Whitman.

Poizner issued a statement of his own Thursday, saying "in the history of America, no one has been elected governor of a state with Meg Whitman's 25 year history of no show voting."

Filed under: Meg Whitman
  1. redweather

And she wants people to vote for her? Her statement is so lame because - surprise - it says absolutely nothing. But I'm not surprised she's running as a Republican. They don't believe in government, they believe in power. What a total loser.

September 25, 2009 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  2. Grog in Ohio

Republicans simply can't stop embarrassing themselves.

September 25, 2009 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  3. Randy, San Francisco

Meg Withman should take responsibility by withdrawing from the governor race. The other two candidates, Poizner and Campbell, are much more qualified. Admitting mea culpa without consequences is worthless.

September 25, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  4. A.J.

Sister...

If you don't vote....than don't expect my vote....

Embarrassing....but for Republicans, that's the time of the tune these days!!!

September 25, 2009 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  5. wd

How stupid is this article and why is it even being covered?

Her voting, or lack of voting, in elections is nobody's business but her own. Voting is something that everyone has a right, should they choose, to do. There is no law that one MUST vote and there is no legal penalty for not voting. Stay out of her personal business and choose to vote for or against her based on your belief she is capable of doing or not doing the job. PERIOD.

September 25, 2009 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  6. Ryan in VA

Vote for what?

September 25, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  7. Joe in CT - not Lieberman!!!

OK, so here is another Republican who has admitted she hasn't voted in years and she wants people to vote for her. What really bothers me is there are people who will vote for her now because of that statement that wouldn't have voted before. All I can say to those folks is to emulate Meg and stay home on election day.

September 25, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  8. Tom St. Paul

She's never bothered to vote and now she expects people to vote for her??? The epitome of arrogance.

September 25, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  9. Will-South Dakota

No show at the polls...equals to....No show at the leadership post.

September 25, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  10. Martin Marprelate

How can this woman serve as the governor of the most populous state in the Union when she herself has never exercised her most fundamental, civic responsibility? Does she somehow think that her status as an ex-CEO automatically exempts her? Her obvious gall is matched only by her apparent arrogance. This, coupled with Fiorina (another ex-CEO, but one who ran her company into the ground) should make the choice to vote Democratic obvious.

September 25, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  11. Chris

Then DROP OUT!!

September 25, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  12. eolufemi

The quality of political leadership has certainly taken a nose-dive. We have governors that can't put together a coherent thought on national television. And now we have people seriously considering running for office that haven't participated in the political process on the very basic level of voting over the span of two decades.

September 25, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  13. republicans hate america

well maybe no one will show up to vote for this loser either

September 25, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  14. jlc

Perhaps she should take the next 25 yrs to fully develop her positions and build a voting record. 25 yrs of write in votes would have been better than nothing at all. But to not even register- means there was absolutely no interest or desire to be a part of our most basic of rights and freedoms.

Nonetheless, I totally agree with her, it is inexcusable and I WOULD NOT EXCUSE IT!!!!!!

September 25, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  15. D. D.

I don't understand people not voting and even more later wanting to run for office. I really don't have understanding for this at all.

September 25, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  16. Deb

And she wants folks to vote for her and she hasn't voted. funny

September 25, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  17. Seattle Sue

Sounds as though Meg Whitman is not very civic minded.

September 25, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  18. HarryB

Even though I'm a Democrat, I respect Meg Whitman for her record of accomplishments. Too bad that the GOP can't find more candidates like her. Unfortunately, they have to resort to endorsing the likes of Carly Fiorina for US Senate, who while she was nearly destroying a proud company like Hewlett-Packard, couldn't even pick up enough knowledge to put up a decent website, a task easily accomplished by an average 13 year old!

September 25, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  19. SllvnBranden

Yes, I strongly agree it is not only very important, but our civil duty to vote. That being said, she made a mistake. Like who doesn't? Also, is it really that important to vote for every single election that comes up?

September 25, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  20. Republican for Obama

what a shame – and she wants others to come out and vote for her??

September 25, 2009 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  21. steve

Then quit trying to look for any votes because people would just do like you and stay out from voting for you.
    Just quit.

September 25, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  22. Ken from missouri

WOW this is amazing maybe somebody should give her a lesson in voting and why we vote .

September 25, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  23. Jon

"I wouldn't have voted for you because I don't vote, but vote for me!!!"

September 25, 2009 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  24. strong

How can a politican ever be wrong? This can't be happening.

September 25, 2009 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  25. runphas7

hmmmmmmmm, soooooooooo, she never voted for 25 years, now she wants the people to vote for her. Somehow that does not seem right. Politics and some people have become so lackluster these days. They do what they want to do for THEIR agendas and everything is OK! She choose not to vote and I would be very wary of her platform. I can't believe an educated person did not exercise her right to vote. Are we becoming bazzaro world or what?

September 25, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |