September 27th, 2009

'I very much enjoy working for' Obama, Gates says

Secretary Gates said President Obama is 'very analytical' and 'delves very deeply' into issues.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who was a prominent member of former President George W. Bush's Cabinet, told CNN that he is enjoying working for Bush's Democratic successor.

In an interview broadcast Sunday on CNN's State of the Union, Gates praised Obama’s approach to decision-making as the nation's commander-in-chief.

"He is very analytical," Gates told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "He is very deliberate about the way he goes through things. He wants to understand everything. He delves very deeply into these issues."

Gates, who previously worked for 27 years in the CIA under six presidents, was the first defense secretary to be asked to remain in office by a newly-elected president when Obama kept him on.

The Pentagon chief was diplomatic when comparing Obama to other former occupants of the Oval Office.

"I'm not going to get into comparing the different presidents, Gates said. “I very much enjoy working for this one."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • President Obama • Robert Gates • State of the Union
  1. jim

Why don't you people wake up! ALL politicians are liars, it's how they get elected. If you tell the truth you only get the votes of the people who believe as you do. If you are a skillful liar you can make everyone think you believe as he does. It has been said that politics is the art of compromise. It's not true! Statesmanship is the art of compromise, politics is the art of deception!

September 27, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. ANGIE IN PA

You see folks with the likes of TONY And Glen Beck,Rush Limbaugh and Fixed news they are doing the Democrats a huge favor and burying the republican party for years to come. Keep up the Hate Republicans bury that republican party

September 27, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. shianne

Sorry Tony...you are going to feel even worse after 2010 & 2012. President Obama is a FANTASTIC President. I find it masterful how he lets folks like Tony make themselves look so so so SMALL.

September 27, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. James

Yea Tony, you are right only nine month in the last administration had taken 4-1/2 month of vacation, spent $93 per person to send out $400 checks, ignored FBI warnings on imminent attack and we got ourselves attacked. We sure could use some more of that. Just leave my country Tony. Leave.

September 27, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  5. adele

Analytical. MMM. Very smart that is what it means.

September 27, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. Enuff awready

All this talk about bankrupting the country-here's what it comes down to: The Republicans have no problem bankrupting the country if they are kicking the crap out of a 3rd world country, supposedly to protect democracy, while they dismantle all the democratic structure in this country by wiretapping who they want and answering to no one. But borrowing money to help the citizens of this country, as in repairing the broken health care system, prompts them to whine and complain about the next generation. They don't give a rip about the next generation. Except maybe the next generation of bankers, etc. Fixing health care and the other things Obama's proposing will put us further in debt, but it must be done. Then we can begin getting out of debt.

September 27, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. Daron

Sec. Gates is methodical, inteligent public servent of the highest calibar that rose from entry-level to highest position in the CIA. He knows the intel world from bottom to top. With his 27 years of experience under 5 presidents behind him, his thumbs up or thumbs down should indicate absolutely if anyone has the proper world outlook.

This endorsement cannot be diminished by anyone. Remember Gates is a republican. If he didn't want to make this statement he wouldn't. President Obama needs him in his position way more than Gates needs to keep it. So, I seriously doubt he was pressured into this.

September 27, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  8. BOB

Cops are the biggest liars, then come the politicians

September 27, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  9. lefty loosy

Aspen Professor , those that can do , those that cant teach.
    Go smoke a joinr with your other liberal idiots who teach .
    Bet you cant even hang a picture without putting a hole in the wall.
    Obama lies just like Clinton or did you forget Clinton.
    Carter a left wing racist playing the race card .

September 27, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  10. shianne

Mike from Iowa...BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO.

September 27, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  11. BOB

The average american is too stupid to act in their self intrest.

September 27, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. Brad Cooper

Gates hated working for Bush so bad that he kept a card in his shirt pocket counting down the days until Bush was out of office.

Bush was and is, an ignorant, 'shoot first, think later' kind of guy. I've been pestered by smarter gnats.

I really don't care what the ignorant south has to say about it... they are still lynching feds and whining about losing the civil war.

September 27, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. virginia for obama

@ Tony,

The only REAL Americans is the AMERICAN INDIANS stupid! . . I know

they wish they could hit the RESET BUTTON too.

September 27, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  14. hunter

Posters who make these strong definitive statements contradicting the Sec of Def. Where the heck do you get your expertise?

For instance, Phoenix66 what's your level of experience?

Or you, Tony, instead of making these broad meaningless generalizations. Tell us how they're making "fun" of "real" Americans and their "desires."

Honestly, what does any of that mean? I'm sincerely interested in your opinions.

September 27, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  15. Guy

Why doesn't he just say it... he's finally working for a thinking man. Not the redneck idiot he used to work for.

September 27, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. Mac Texas

It appears that President Obama treats most issues with a clear mind, accurate information and then uses his information to make decisions. No question that he is one of the most intelligent men we have ever had in office. I am sure that he will make mistakes, as everyone does, but there is no one I would rather have in office at this time.

September 27, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Perry

You can say a lot when its not your job as President. We all are on the outside looking IN. We have a President who is trying to tell us that a training is coming, instead of us helping him to get the people of the tracks many of you would rather die than to see a better America. Change hurt but it happens Earth is not the same it was 2000 years ago and it's going to change Obama or not – change will happen our job is to help change take place for the better of the people and not a party.

September 27, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. Patricia Paredes

I will always remember President Gates walking us onto the Aggie football field prior to a Texas A & M University football game, during the traditional football warm up play, when he was president ot TAMU. I was startled when he exclaimed to me, "head's up" for I looked up just in time to avoid a football hitting me in the head. We all had a good laugh and I was humbled. It was my very first football game in Aggieland and I was feeling quite proud that the president of TAMU was personally escorting us to our seats. I will always remember how special he made me and my former husband, Raymund, feel. Patricia Paredes, Austin, TX

September 27, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. True North

Thanks Aspen Professor. Couldn't have said it better.

September 27, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. I WILL DEFEND BO

Mike from Iowa, your comment was enough to end this topic of conversation. I agree 110%.

September 27, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  21. Realdem

Great comment. Must be good to work with someone who is listening to the people and is patience with all the people. Although he is having trouble with the healtcare issue we must understand that some in congress just don't want to be fair. If passing a healthcare bill was simple then why hasn't one been passed for years?
    And Tony, this quick into O'bama's presidency you want change? O'bama is ignoring and making fun of us? I'd say at this point 9 months in wouldn't be fair to judge O'bama after the lies and deceit that bush put us through for 8 years especially the war and then some of us still put him back in office in 2004. So Lets give Mr O'bama his chance to fix what was so badly damaged for 8 years.

September 27, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. chav

I am always amazed at house stupid most of you are. Maybe I should say clueless.

"Lefty Loosy" I teach and I can hang a picture. You sir have forgotten the last 8 years. You talk about people lying? I am a political science/social studies teacher. You need to understand that the vast majority of you have really no clue about REAL American history. I am not a republican or a democract. However, if you are getting your information from FOX News you are more off than the rest. So go to FOX news blog and rant on there were all of you can use the same rhetoric. Do me a favor come up with an original thought for once.

Oh.. You probably can't considering you have never read anything or seen anything other than FOX news.

September 27, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  23. Eileen

The people are not with Obama and he will not get re-elected. Dream on Dems. Dems are over reaching and that will bring huge wins for repubs next year. Obama is not God stop worshipping him. Dems are the real racists and everybody now knows it.

September 27, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  24. Linda

Nice to know that intelligent people can give compliments to those who deserve it. Way to go Mr. Gates! I love my President.

September 27, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  25. Ipityufools

All of you trashing Tony make me laugh. You are SCARED because your dear obama is slowly losing popularity and more and more people are realizing what a smooth lier he is. CHANGE??? Give me a break, Obama is definitely "changing" this country from bad to worse.

September 27, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |