September 27th, 2009

'I very much enjoy working for' Obama, Gates says

Secretary Gates said President Obama is 'very analytical' and 'delves very deeply' into issues.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who was a prominent member of former President George W. Bush's Cabinet, told CNN that he is enjoying working for Bush's Democratic successor.

In an interview broadcast Sunday on CNN's State of the Union, Gates praised Obama’s approach to decision-making as the nation's commander-in-chief.

"He is very analytical," Gates told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "He is very deliberate about the way he goes through things. He wants to understand everything. He delves very deeply into these issues."

Gates, who previously worked for 27 years in the CIA under six presidents, was the first defense secretary to be asked to remain in office by a newly-elected president when Obama kept him on.

The Pentagon chief was diplomatic when comparing Obama to other former occupants of the Oval Office.

"I'm not going to get into comparing the different presidents, Gates said. “I very much enjoy working for this one."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • President Obama • Robert Gates • State of the Union
  1. Lisa

The Republican Party has become such a mess....it sure ain't the Party mom and Pop once supported. Sad.

September 27, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  2. Perry

Gates is a good guy and finally has a smart boss, how many of us don't like our boss and think they are dumb. Gates finally got something we all want – a smart boss who knows something.

September 27, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  3. raberyleti

Glad to hear that at least in some facets, people can be objective and fair and can truly work together. But let's not forget, it was George Bush who led this country into an unnecessary war based on lies and misinformation from his girl Condi Rice and others. It was on Georgie boy's watch that the investment banking firms stole people blind, companies went under, jobs were lost, homes went into foreclosure. This mess didn't happen in 9 months, it's going to take a hell of a lot longer than 9 months to fix it. And as far as healthcare goes, I have GREAT healthcare for myself and my kids, so I could be like many in Congress and say to hell with everybody who doesn't have it. But we must remember, many of us, whether we realize it or not are only 2 paychecks away from poverty anyway; in the blink of an eye, your job along with your healthcare could vanish. So let's have some compassion on those who need it and those who are in trouble through no fault of their own.

September 27, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. kate

More Obama drooling.

To everyone that "loves our President"...love is blind.

Please step out of your bubble and take a look at yourselves.

He will make mistakes. He is only human.

September 27, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. G NO P

Tony, Who is a real American? Those who agree with you? Those who look like you? Those with the same religion as you? Your statement is the most patently UN American and irrelevant comment on this thread.

September 27, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  6. dharmesh

Gate is trying to keep his job and reputation.

September 27, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. unity

Oh. oh? Is another republican is gonna be attacked as being a liberal? Sure, he won't attack his new commander in chief. But he didn't just say he liked working for him. He said why.. And the believability of those statements makes his statements more than just window dressing.

September 27, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. S. in Florida

virginia for obama September 27th, 2009 10:19 am ET

@ Tony,

The only REAL Americans is the AMERICAN INDIANS stupid! . . I know

they wish they could hit the RESET BUTTON too.
    -----------------------
    Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself. But of course, most Republicans don't consider the Native Americans. In their minds, they are just dirty uncivilized poor people that don't count.

September 27, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. calvin

tell us the same in 2 years if you still have a job. we will talk a good fight but end the end iran will have weapon of mass destruction and then will get them to the usa and other place with the help of china and others.

September 27, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. ran

Too bad that more Republicans will not follow his lead and work with the President.

It should be: how do we as a country do what is right for us all.

Not how do I get and keep power which seems to be the main objective of the Republicans.

September 27, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  11. joeb

DJ, I think you are on to something. I wish EVERY American felt the way you do!

September 27, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. VOR

to shianne: where are you moving on to??? not sure that nationalizing the banking industry, the health care industry and the automotive industry is a good start. and while I don't think that Obama is going to send the Jews to the gas chamber any time soon, those three steps were taken early on by the Hitler administration. just sayin' we need to be wary! History does repeat itself. often

to "Peace": your quote "Your thoughts are not good at all for the nation Tony!" is really scary! are you going to be the moderator, deciding who gets to exercise their 1st amendment rights? freedom of speech means FREEDOM OF SPEECH. even if it is idiotic, like you think Tony's is, and I think yours is.

September 27, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. nola

Tony, would you please define "Real Americans"? Do you mean the Native Americans?

September 27, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. shianne

How many tea baggers in GA who were affected by the flood will accept government money to repair their homes and property? I'll tell you ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Too funny

I'm still waiting for libs to argue the issues without resorting to personal attacks, name calling, and the like. I find it very interesting that liberals can not discuss and debate the issues without slinging verbal poop at the person who disagrees with them.

On another note, if you think the current president is anywhere close to honest, you are delusional. If you think the Democratic party is somehow on a moral high ground in comparison to the Republican party, you are delusional. Both parties are full of people who will say anything and do anything to get in office and stay in office. You can't trust a thing either party says, and the current president is the epitome of this flaw.

September 27, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  16. GRITS (Girl Raised in the South)

Tony...That is why nothing can EVER get done because politicians are always looking towards the next election. Instead of hitting the reset button, why don't you try the eject button !!!

September 27, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  17. Ruth

Tony, I am a real American: senior citizen, tax-paying, land-owning, liberal, white woman. (I actually look a lot like the placard-carrying Tea Party members.) I am also an American by choice. I became an American when after 13 years in this country I realized that my home country felt foreign to me, and this country felt like home. I became an American as soon as I realized that no matter what my future held - including the death of or divorce from my American husband - I would stay here. I will not have some small-minded person labeling me as anti-American just because I voted for Obama or because the America I love has a big heart and an open mind.

September 27, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. Samuel

@Tony

I'm an Indian American, so according to you, I'm not "real American?"

wow!! Thanks for the info.

September 27, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  19. Patriot

I'm sure Gates is relieved to be working for a thoughtful, analytical President, rather than some reckless cowboy whose way of dealing with terrorists was to spout things like "Bring 'em on," "Wanted dead or alive," and "We're gonna smoke 'em outta their caves."

With his gunslinger mentality, all Bush did was help to create more terrorists.

September 27, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. Keith

Tony, with your real America and fake America and who knows what the hell else, you sound like Sarah freakin' Palin. You know what? If that ditz was in charge, we'd all be dead in a nuclear holocaust right now. Your views represent a vocal mega-minority. Just because you can scream the loudest doesn't mean you have the numbers needed to hand this country back to the neo-conservative pricks who got us into one of the biggest messes this country has ever seen.

September 27, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. TC

gypsydavey– Yeah, agreed, analytical, wanting to understand the issues, deliberate....definitely anti-american. How dare he. Here we shoot from the hip...yeehaww!!!

Oh yeah, Cheney and Rumsfeld....then we'll be at war with Canada. Now that's real American!!

September 27, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  22. Hugo

He is just glad to have a job! Come on out in the real world of the private sector and check it out bureaucrats., $119,000.00/yr is the average Federal employee annual carry cost to the American taxpayer. There are millions of them soaking it up while we in the private sector struggle to make ends meet. Give a bureaucrat an inch and they will take the whole mile, just look around, they want to regulate what you eat and drink. They want to tax you on the air you breathe, force you to spend your money on something you may not wish, next you will be fined if you were to fart in a public area.

CLEAN THE HOUSE IN 2010 AND RESET IN 2012!

September 27, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  23. fred

I think overall Obama is doing a good job.

However, on the heath situation, I still don't know what health care means. Does it represent rationing, higher taxes, insuring illegals, medicare cuts / tax increase ?

September 27, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  24. Bob

It is saddening to see such hatred and vulgarity on both sides. Instead of both sides trying to work together, they just sit back and call each other names. Pathetic. People, grow up. Stop the name calling. This was a simple article talking about how Gates likes working for Obama. Nothing more. Not an excuse to start calling Dems unpatriotic and not an excuse to call Reps racists and stupid.

So glad to be an Independent. I can stay out of the mud pit both parties call home.

September 27, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  25. Rapotat

Has it gotten so bad within the republican party that even the mildest of compliments towards Mr. Obama causes anger? This man is now the the most powerful man in the world . . . and as a former *community organizer* . . . has come a long way.

I for one am very happy with his progress.

September 27, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |