September 29th, 2009

For Chicago's '16 bid, Michelle Obama vows to 'take no prisoners'

The president and first lady recently hosted a White House event to highlight Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid. They will be heading to Copenhagen the end of this week to lobby Olympic officials in person.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - First Lady Michelle Obama vowed Monday to "take no prisoners" as she and her husband launch an unprecedented bid for Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid.

"It's a battle - we're going to win - take no prisoners," Mrs. Obama said with a smile at a roundtable discussion with reporters in the White House State Dining Room.

Mrs. Obama compared the intense lobbying effort to the 2008 presidential campaign, noting that in the election campaign, a lot of voters made their decision in the final days. She said members of the International Olympic Committee may do the same.

"And our view is, we're not taking a chance," she said. "We're just not going to assume that the bids - that the decisions are made, and so that no matter what the outcome is, we'll feel as a country, as a team, that we've done everything that we can to bring it home."

Full story

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Albo58

Getting the totally corrupt IOC to give Chicago, a totally corrupt city, the Olympics in 2016, 4 years after the Obama Administration, a totally corrupt regime, leaves office! Furthermore, with all the nation's top priorities to think about, doesn't seem like meeting the IOC on the taxpayer's dime in Copenhagan was in the Top 100, but I could be wrong!

September 28, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  2. S Callahan

Being a dane, I can only say it's best to listen much and say little for good results. :-) . Good journey to Denmark!

September 28, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  3. JOBLESS IN IOWA

Obama has better things to do than play up Olympics, The number one job is WHERE ARE THE JOBS? Obama cannot ever complete anything.

Obama and his presidency is a BIG JOKE.

September 28, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. Give it to Rio......

South America has been ignored too long........it would be racist not to give it to them......Obama should insist that Rio get it........

September 28, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  5. Elleabelle

Yay! That's the First Lady for you. Going to bat for our country.

September 28, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. Moe, NY

Bring it home President Obama and First Lady Michelle. Go for it!

September 28, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  7. Liberal4Obama

This will be great for America, having the privilege of hosting the Olympics is a great honor, what best example for our youth than athletic excellence, its a way of life that teaches discipline and keeps your focus on competing to be the very best in life, those values should be reinforced into our communities. USA !!!

September 28, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. Jacob

He's a borderline communist but I have to respect the effort here. The rest of his "nationalization of public business and redistribution of wealth from HARD WORKING Americans to those who didn't sacrifice enough" policies can suck it.

Sincerely,

A trailor park born American who worked his butt off, served his country in the military for a decade, put himself through college and grad school, and now gets taxed to death for working harder than other... Sorry, but if everybody were as motivated as myself and others I now know then I wouldn't have to give 45% of my income to them.

September 28, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  9. Milwauke Conservative

Well I am glad that he is taking the time to do this. Make sure we "win the battle", I guess Afghanistan can wait.....I mean he already met with McChrystal once this year....what a disrespect to our fine men and women overseas.

September 28, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. Iamnoone

And foxnews will lose their minds.

September 28, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  11. Dancie

Glad the Obamas are focusing on such important things...

September 28, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  12. Reggie

She lacks the class of Laura Bush!!!!

September 28, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  13. Kate in SW Fla

I love Michelle Obama. I consider her a national treasure. Like many of the First Ladies before her. Nancy, Lady Bird, Rosilind, Betty, Hillary, Barbara, and the very lovely Laura. We may have policy disoutes with their husbands, or even with Hil, but we have had wonderful First Ladies. Michelle is every bit their equal.

September 28, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  14. Agnes

What a wasted effort. How much does it cost to fly them to Copenhagen?

September 28, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  15. James

will the olympics ever be held in Tehran ?

September 28, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  16. Spend That Money

You have got to be kidding me. Super "O" is flying all the way to Denmark to try and get Chicago selected as the 2016 host city. What a waste of my tax dollars.

September 28, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  17. Andrae

I think this bid for the Olympics is a smart idea on President Obama's part. I mean admittedly he has some domestic issues that he needs to address (Healthcare, Immigration, etc.), but this bid will help with United States when the Olympics comes around because there will be increased tourism and visitations in Chicago and the United States as a whole. Increased tourism means increased money. Increased money is a good thing.

September 28, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  18. Mimi

Give me a break! OK! Chicago needs to clean up their crime rate, their tenement slums and ghettos before courting the IOC. The nerve to want to bring the Olympics to one of the worst cities when it comes to crime. Maybe they are blind or just don;t pay attention to the statistics...they should. Spend the money on the clean up of the crimes that are committed on the streets of Chicago, fighting crime and the gangs, education, whatever, but the Olympics? Like I said give me a break! Granted I would be proud as an American for the Olympics to be held again in our great country but I truly think that the money could better be spent elsewhere. Just look at the headlines just today...a young honor student, not a gang member, was killed on the streets of Chicago in broad daylight. Another teen shot just that morning. Use the money to crack down on gangs! Trust me, the people of Chicago will appreciate so much more. Besides only the rich can afford the Olympics anyway.

September 28, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  19. Adam

It'd be great to have the Olympics back in the United States. Best of luck to the president and first lady.

Let's see if the comment board can manage to get outraged about this.

September 28, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  20. kate

These two sure do like to travel.

Guess they don't like the White House that much.

September 28, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  21. shouldhavevotedHILLARY

The title of this article is pretty darn scary. The both of them are all "SHOW"

September 28, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  22. hockeyagent

Wow that is so important right now. Rockets are about to be flying over Israel's head from Iran very soon. We have more serious issues to resolve and if Pres. Bush did that the press would be all over it like bees around honey.

September 28, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  23. Paul F

So while high schoolers in Chicago are beating one of their own to death in the streets, and while our military is collectively risking their lives overseas with the great one having spoken to our Commander in the region 1x in 70 days (if I understand this correctly) he thinks the smart move is to put the priority on the Olympics?

What a clown.

September 28, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  24. Jim

I think my pres. Should have more pressing tasks to finish instead of lobbying for 2016 games in any US city. And I voted for him

September 28, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  25. mimi

Obama and Michelle are going to Copenhagen to have a good free vecation while we here in the USA are starving!
    We need "intense lobing effort" to find work for all the 15 millions unemployed people. Obama's are extending themself to have a good time. I 'm sick of this economy! Everything is going very bad for all Americans! While they are "lobbing" for the Olympics"
    The one who should be doing this is Mitt Romny.

September 28, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |