September 29th, 2009

Franks aide clarifies 'enemy of humanity' comment

In a recent speech to conservative activists, Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks said President Obama was 'an enemy of humanity.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A spokeswoman for a Republican congressman who called President Obama "an enemy of humanity" said Tuesday that he should have clarified that he was talking about the president's policies on abortion.

Bethany Haley, a spokeswoman for Arizona Rep. Trent Franks, told CNN on Tuesday the congressman was actually referring to "unborn humanity" - a specific reference to the president's policies on abortion.

Franks used the term in a speech to conservative activists Saturday in St. Louis, pointing to Obama's decision to aid international family planning clinics that perform abortions.

"A president that has lost his way that badly, that has no ability to see the image of God in these little fellow human beings, if he can't do that right, then he has no place in any station of government and we need to realize that he is an enemy of humanity," Franks said.

Franks' speech was recorded by the liberal group People for the American Way.

In an interview with the Washington Independent after the speech, Franks also renewed a call for Obama to produce a copy of his birth certificate to end the questions by "birthers" who doubt the president's birthplace. Franks said he had once considered filing a lawsuit to get it, but did his own investigation and became convinced that the president was born in the United States.

Haley called the controversy a "silly debate" and said it is "ridiculous that the president doesn't just produce [the birth certificate] and make it go away." In the interview, Franks implied that the president might be trying to hide something else.

"Probably, Barack Obama could solve this problem and make the birthers, you know, back off, by simply showing us his long-form birth certificate," Franks said. "That'd solve the problem. There's some other issue, I don't know what it is, that he doesn't want people to see the birth certificate on."

Filed under: Abortion • Extra • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Brian

Does anyone know the laws regarding treason? This has to be up there. Saying that your president is an enemy of humanity aka your people, your country. That's messed up and there should be laws around government employees referring to the president as an enemy of the people.
    Brian

September 29, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  2. front-n-center

I love how the Dems and Repubs use these things to tear each other apart–neither one of you runs the country–it is the real people in the middle that matter–not you the fringe..and by fringe I mean moderate to extremes on both sides!
    Obama isnt the enemy of any humanity–he is a politician–and a good one by political standards–one loved unconditionally by most of the black community and hated unconditionally by most of the white community. He is biracial so I guess that is a bit ironic.....

September 29, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. republicans hate america

the Rush Limbaugh Party is always throwing these outrageous comments to see if they stick and realize how dumb it is and then need to back track but they believe these things and it is why I will vote for Obama in 2012

September 29, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  4. E

When this guy is a poor and has a uterus, THEN he can lecture people about abortion.

September 29, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. mother knows best

This guy is a wacko....WOW....maybe we are in for more insanity & chaos after all, if this is Arizona's finest!! Thank you for explaining what a 'Birther is, not that I know any; dear god I hope not!! Better check my Facebook Friends list again~

September 29, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. FORMER REPUBLICA

Man doesn't even look human.

September 29, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  7. Nevada dude

More HATE SPEECH from the radical right. Republican Taliban siding with Bin Laden praying for Obama's destruction. Tell me Glenn Beck, Palin and Limbaugh, how is that Patriotic?

September 29, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  8. Duck Fallas

This is nothing new, it's the republican platform.

Killing the unborn is wrong. Killing the born is acceptable, as long as they're Muslim.

September 29, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  9. Jourdan Ann

Obama was only one of a few to vote against the partial birth abortion ban. Whether pro-life or pro-choice, one would have to agree that sucking a seven month old fetus from his mother's womb limb by limb is barbaric. Who could be opposed to such a ban? Well, our president was. Look at some photographic evidence online and then tell me that this little baby is not a human being. Tell me he or she deserved to be tortured, ripped apart, and many times left to die on the table. This tells plenty about our president and what he feels about unborn human beings. These weak and innocenct beings need advocates as they cannot defend themselves. This disgusting act of violence mars all of our souls. Are we not civilized?

September 29, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  10. Bob Beazley

Or perhaps he meant 'enemy of Hannity'?

September 29, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  11. ThinkAgain

I don't have a problem with Conservatives – I have a problem with anyone who lies and resorts to bully tactics to get their way.

I have a problem with people inciting violence against others, going so far as to call for assassination.

I have a problem with people who would rather hold onto their uninformed, hateful beliefs than entertain the notion that they might just be wrong.

I have a problem with a whole group of people – the GOP – who want our President and our country to fail.

September 29, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  12. Concerned

It is getting so dirty that infection is setting in. I wonder how the Holy Republicans are so dirty minded, hateful, ignorant and show off their arrogance in amazing ways.
    The mouth spew the dirt and grime of their inner selves.

September 29, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  13. The Bu

I'm reminded of the Bible verse that says "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." No need to clarify anything. You guys, who tend to call yourselves Christian are so much more interested in dividing this great nation than trying to do something constructive to try to bring it together. Personally, I'm tired of both sides acting like children on the playground. Here is my message to Democrats AND Republicans--GROW UP!!!!!

September 29, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. Michael

Wow, members of the GOP really will say just about anything to damage Obama, won't they?

Seems all they can do is shriek, holler and impede the work that needs to be done to extend health insurance to the 30 million or more Americans who have none.

They say they're fighting it because they don't want the government having more control over people's lives. Which is consistent with their desire to deny people access to abortions how, exactly?

An estimated 45,000 Americans die each year in part because they lack health insurance coverage.

Hmm, wonder who's the REAL enemy of humanity here...

September 29, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  15. McCain is Panamanian

Is Frank trying to say that a 17 year old Kentucky teenager without her parents' permission snuck over to the passport office in 1961 in Hawaii, got the equivalent of $2000, flew all the way to Kenya secretly to have a baby, and then snuck him back in, had a fake birth certificate made, had two false announcements in Hawaii papers, and had the US State Department destroy the records of her passport and travel. Oh yeah, and she had the airlines and the FAA computers delete all proof of her travel because she had already known of the conspiracy to have her Kenyan born son be passed off as American born. And she had secretly denounced her US citizenship before arriving in Kenya, so that he would not be born the child of an American citizen which would have made him eligible for the presidency by virtue of his parent's US citizenship at the time of his birth regardless of where he was born.
    I guess Frank, like the other birther trash got the same grade in US government as George W. Bush got in geography: F.

September 29, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  16. beth

I'm so glad that I changed parties. These conservative nuts are beginning to scare me. Just this week at my parents church one of them spoke and told the congregation that they should cut off Obama's head. Daily, I hear very offensive jokes about Obama and today I see that on facebook they are asking if he should be killed. If this is how they display their Christianity, God help them.

September 29, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  17. Musicianforlife

These people are scary! Why O why does CNN insist on giving these religious extremists a platform. The media has a responsibility and CNN fails almost daily on what should be considered news worthy. Please post the news...not nuts who want headlines!

September 29, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  18. kgeukes

OMG!! When will these people quit with the Obama-bashing?? You lost!! We won!! Get the hell over it and TRY to do something to make this country a more livable place like hire someone or at least shut the f- up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 29, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  19. The Lady

I am so sick of the republicans coming out and saying what ever they want and then say I am sorry, or that is not what I meant as if this makes it ok. I guess if I went and robbed a bank and then told the judge that I was sorry or I meant to make a deposit, he would not put me in jail. Please give me a break, you all are polished politicians and I know that you know wrong from right so start acting like it.

September 29, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  20. ken

an enemy of humanity who wants to provide health care to all of humanity.

that's where we are at as a country right now.

September 29, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  21. Travis

Liberal or conservative, religion has no place in politics. Period.

September 29, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  22. Obamakat

Well, there is family planning being taught at these clinics, abortion is one of several options, kind of like healthcare reform. From what I've seen lately, a lot more family planning should have taken place over the decades. So keep up the aid, support, funding, etc. After all, most women who are intent on having an abortion, will have one "by hook or by crook". So... let's keep all safe and legal options on the table.

September 29, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  23. Jess

He is supporting international family planning clinics. The best way to reduce the number of abortions is to increase the availability of contraception. Fact.

Just because the aid is going to clinics doesn't mean its directly for abortions.

September 29, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  24. Concerned

"We need to realize that he is an enemy of humanity," Frank said.

I wonder, does he think the president is not human because he is half black? Hmmm...

September 29, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  25. D. Casey | California

They have nothing to offer humanity, except more war and more tax cuts for the rich.

And, as was said earlier today "...could implement a legislative option known as reconciliation, which would require only 51 votes to pass a health care bill. However, Republicans warn against such a move as shortsighted legislative warfare that would sow deep and long-lasting division."

WOULD SOW DEEP AND LONG-LASTING DIVISION?

What do you think we have NOW? A veritable Grand Canyon between the HAVE-IT-ALLS and the HAVE-NEARLY-NOTHINGS.

September 29, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |