September 29th, 2009

Vice President Biden's son home from Iraq

The vice president visited with his son Beau during a visit to Iraq on July 4 of this year.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Beau Biden, the son of Vice President Joe Biden and Delaware's attorney general, has returned from a year-long deployment to Iraq, according to the Delaware National Guard.

Biden's National Guard unit, the 261st Signal Brigade, returned to the United States last Friday and is currently demobilizing at Fort Dix in New Jersey, Delaware National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Leonard Gratteri told CNN.

Vice President Joe Biden is set to address his son's unit at a return ceremony in Dover, Delaware on Wednesday, September 30, said Gratteri.

Ted Kaufman, a former chief of staff to Joe Biden when the vice president was a member of the Senate, was appointed by Delaware's governor to fill
Biden's old Senate seat. Many political observers called the decision to appoint Kaufman an effort to hold the seat for Beau Biden to pursue in a 2010 special election after completing his deployment overseas.

Delaware Rep. Mike Castle, long considered a likely Republican candidate for the vice president's old seat, has not officially announced his intention to enter the race.

Filed under: Beau Biden • Delaware • Joe Biden • Senate
  1. KATHLEEN

Welcome home Beau Biden. I love your father too!

September 29, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. Laurie, MO

Good for Beau Biden. He served his country well and he will continue to serve his country by getting elected to his father's old seat. I really like the Bidens and I hope Beau has a long and distinguised career.

Of course his father will be VP for another 4 years after he and Barack Obama are re-elected in 2012.

September 29, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. stan

The gop has put fear into some democrats,but the democrats still can pass this with 51 votes,dont let the gop put fear into you scary nuts,because the gop will be absolete by 2020 believe me…because the minority vote is going to be to big for the gop to over come

September 29, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. S Callahan

Thank God!

We live for the day when parents all over the world do not have to be concerned with homecomings from a war. May peace grow in the hearts of man, and come to full life.

September 29, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. Garland

Glad Beau is home safe. Would love to see him run for Senate.

September 29, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. mjm

Good for him! I think more people should serve in the military. Especially if they need a job.

"Many political observers called the decision to appoint Kaufman an effort to hold the seat for Beau Biden to pursue in a 2010 special election after completing his deployment overseas."

I didn't know senate seats were hand-me-downs.

September 29, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. Four and The Door

Thank you for your service to our country Mr. Biden. I hope your Commander In Chief lets you and the rest of our professional servicemen finish the job there with our full support.

September 29, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. AAK

My nephew got back from Iraq a few days ago.
    It is a wonderful feeling for everyone in our family to know he is safe.

I pray for all families who still have loved ones in harms way.

God speed to bring them all home.

I am happy for the Bidens.

September 29, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. me happy- at 4:20 each day

Why does Beau Biden look so stern and empty?

Wow, we really need to get these wars over with. If our soldiers don't die physically- it seems as their spirit dies.

What a waste of lives!

September 29, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. welches, oregon

Welcome home Beau- I know how relieved his parents are.

September 29, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. Chris D.

Welcome home Beau!!

September 29, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. PA

And Prince Beau stands ready to inherit his rightful throne. Long live the Biden Dynasty in the Kingdom of Delaware!

September 29, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. susie

Welcome our new Senator! Your dad kept the seat warm for you.

September 29, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. Robert

I don't like his father, and I certainly did not vote for him, but I'm glad to see Beau, and any other servicemember, return home safely. Thank you for your service. God Bless America!

September 29, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  15. Charlie

Welcome Home Beau ... everything else is moot.

September 29, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. ThinkAgain

Welcome home, Beau Biden! Thank you for your service – and may all the families of those deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan have the same happy reunion you will share with your family.

September 29, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Farrell in Houston

For all the lost the Biden family has suffered and to have a son willingly serve his country with other brave military men and women, could not have been an easy decision but it was the right thing to do. God Bless You.

September 29, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. roxa

Welcome home Beau!!!

September 29, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  19. Steph

Welcome home Beau! Thank you for serving our country. I'm sure your family is happy to have you safely back home!

September 29, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Angie in PA

WELCOME HOME!
    Thanks for your service I cant wait until all of our men and woman come home safe from Iraq!!

September 29, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. carlos, THAT one

as a viet nam vet, it is always good to see our HEROES come back safe, however, let's not forget those injured and maimed, they are our BIGGEST HEROES and I stand at attention and SALUTE them, it is my duty and honor!!!!! God Bless our Brave Soldiers, both Men and Women

September 29, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  22. Anonymous

welcome home Beau thanks for serving our country

September 29, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. Mi

welcome home Beau thanks for serving our country

September 29, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  24. Barbara

I am so happy to hear that Beau has returned home safely. The Biden family has had enough loss, and I'm so relieved that he is back in the United States.

Thank you , Beau, for serving, despite the fact that you did not have to do so, and I appreciate all you've done.

September 29, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  25. Jacob

Welcome Home, Beau!
    It's time to bring them ALL home!

September 29, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |