October 1st, 2009

Corzine catches up to Christie in New Jersey

Jon Corzine catches up to Chris Christie in New Jersey, a new survey suggests.
Jon Corzine catches up to Chris Christie in New Jersey, a new survey suggests.

(CNN) - The gubernatorial race in New Jersey continues to tighten, a new survey out Thursday suggests.

A Monmouth University/Gannett poll shows Republican challenger Chris Christie's edge over Democratic incumbent Gov. Jon Corzine is down to 3 percentage points among likely voters, 43 to 40 percent - an advantage that now falls within the survey's 4 point sampling error.

Christie held an 8-point lead in a similar poll a month ago and a 14-point lead in August.

Christie, a former U.S. attorney, appears to be losing some voters to independent candidate Chris Daggett, who at 8 percent in the latest survey has doubled his support since August.

The poll surveyed 527 likely voters from September 24-29 and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Filed under: Chris Christie • Jon Corzine • New Jersey
  1. Just Say No To GOPers

Good, I hope the Democratic nominee wins.

October 1, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. J.P.

"...among LIKELY voters"???

How about a poll of ACTUAL REGISTERED VOTERS

October 1, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. TangledThorns

Pretty funny but sadly true. How can people in NJ put up with Corzine??

October 1, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  4. Jman

I guess the Republican party shouldn't have snubbed Lonegan because Christie was "more electable." Way to vote for someone who had no platform only to find he's not the eminently electable guy you thought he was.

October 1, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  5. T'SAH from Virginia

NEW JERSEY – just like the state of VIRGINIA will remain BLUE!!!!

CASE in POINT!!!

You need to come to my neighborhood or call my number and others like me – on my level – and about the same things I am about – and take YOUR POLLS!!! YOU DON"T which is why it's difficult to predict who will win and the reason why POLLS FAIL!!!

October 1, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  6. Jay T.

You can't go right with this vote.

October 1, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. POEMAN

Uh Oh GOP. Looks like the lies and hate-speech is starting to catch up with you. Normal people in this country are on to the act and are getting pretty sick of it!

October 1, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. rr

Just goes to show that despite what people say about negative advertising, IT WORKS!

People of NJ: are you better off than you were 4 years ago? Is your state less of a laughing stock?

October 1, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

I cannot for the life of me understand how NJ residents, given the sorry state of their state, could possibly re-elect Mr. Conehead.

But hey... it's their state, and their problem. Some state has to be the laughing stock of the nation, and it might as well be NJ.

October 1, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. victim of republican greed

Just say, "No!" to Spiro Christie.

October 1, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Joe in NJ

The vote is going to come down to this – which candidate do people hate the least.

October 1, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. KATHLEEN

I love the Democrats who fight for the middle class and less fortunate!!!

Go Corzine!!!! You've got to win.!!!!!!!

Another Republican that would like S.S. to go away or be privatized-same thing. Not in favor of S.S. Unemployment, Medicare, although
    they ACT like they care to KILL the PUBLIC OPTION!

And I am from Illinois and I have become of some suspicians about
    Shimkus, who gets a free ride every election in Illinois. No to Reps.

October 1, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Open Your 3rd Eye

I'm backing Corzine!

Your poll is wrong!

Democrats will remain in control of Jersey!

Take that to the bank and cash it!

October 1, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  14. Adam from Ohio

Uh oh. I bet Christie's jowels don't like these new numbers.

October 1, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. Kevin in Ohio

If the people of NJ can't wake up, they deserve everything they get.

October 1, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  16. southphillyballz

I can't believe anyone ever believed New Jersey would elect that lying, cheating oaf. I grew up in Jersey. Most New Jerseyans are pretty smart. No one's happy about the current state of things so expressing displeasure is to be expected...but no way they would take it out by making things WORSE!

October 1, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |