October 1st, 2009

Schwarzenegger: Treat Polanski 'like everyone else'

Schwarzenegger: Treat Polanski 'like everyone else'.
Schwarzenegger: Treat Polanski 'like everyone else'.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger told CNN on Thursday that he thinks filmmaker Roman Polanski, who was arrested in Switzerland last weekend for having sex with a 13-year-old girl, should not get special treatment because of his celebrity status.

As some in Hollywood rally to Polanski's defense, the movie star-turned-Republican governor said he wouldn't promise the director a pardon if he gets extradited to the United States and re-enters California's legal system. He said that he would "not treat (Polanski's) situation any differently than everyone else's."

"It doesn't matter if you are a big-time movie actor or a big-time movie director or producer," Schwarzenegger told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "I think that he is a very respected person, and I am a big admirer of his work. But nevertheless, I think he should be treated like everyone else."

1. No Hillary = No Obama

Time to pay the piper.

October 1, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Stacie

I agree with the governor. The girl was 13...that's all that needs to be said.

October 1, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. cspurgeon

No it doesn't matter but from a bugetary styandpoint is this case really important enough to spend money on???

October 1, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

This must be the smartest statement he's made since he's been in office. The governor is getting terminated. Pun intended.

October 1, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  5. Mike Syracuse, NY

Absolutely! You nailed that one Ahhrnold.

October 1, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. Scott L

Finally someone stands up to this liberal elitist celebrity nonsense.

October 1, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  7. Marshall

Wow, equal treatment for everyone...What a concept. Dude is a rapist, I don't care if is a movie maker or not. he need to pay for his crimes.

October 1, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. Wendy, MD

Arnold is right. Who does Palanski think he is? You commit a crime, you do the time.

October 1, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Bob in Pa

And since he fled prosecution, he should have a mandatory 10 year sentence tacked on to whatever else he's got coming. Who knows how many other children this scum has victimized.

October 1, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Eric Tedford

Arnold Schwarzenegger is a Republican by title only.

October 1, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. We Won Get Over It

You mean like you get.

October 1, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. What a Joke

Finally, the voice of reasoning. I will never understand why a talented person who does something wrong, should not be punished because they are – talented. For those who think Polanski should be freed, question for you – if it was your family member, would you feel the same way? I highly doubt it. That woman is brave. Yes she forgave, but after how many years of turmoil did she have to go through before she reached the forgiveness stage. Another thing to ponder, if it were you or me who did the same thing, how many would come to our rescue to say Let's forgive and forget when we are just ordinary citizens. Thanks for taking a stand Governator.

October 1, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. Dan

Well Said Governor.

Put Polanski in Jail.

October 1, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Sgt. USMC

I agree with the Governator. Polanski is a dirt bag and should have never been allowed to walk free for this long. Shame on Hollywood for supporting this filthy human being. Shame on California for not pursuing him vigorously. This guy should spend the rest of his life behind bars. They should confiscate all of his earnings for the past 30 years and give it to groups who work with victims of child abuse. Anyone who was in contact with this scumbag within the past 30 years should be ashamed of themselves.

October 1, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Lila

Go go governator!!!

October 1, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. jm for sc

Why not Arnold? That is the only reason you were elected.

Although I agree he should not be treated special, I just think this governor needs to be quiet.

October 1, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. Paul from Phoenix

Watching Hollywood defend this slimeball shows just how ignorant these people really are.

October 1, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Jay T.

Not to condone what he did, but, anyone who knows the details of this case know that if Polanski would have been treated like everyone else, things would have worked out better for him.

October 1, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. Kimmy

I hope he means himself included should he ever get into trouble. I do agree that people should never be above the law. IF Polansky is really guilty, he should then pay for his crime. But my question is: what do the Swiss have to do with this? Polansky visited Switzerland many tomes in the past 31 years and was never arrested. Why now? The Swiss always knew how to kiss the hand of the strong and pay their dues on the expense of others. History past and recent has taught us that about them This is just a new episode.

October 1, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. Impressed

Wow, that's the smartest thing the governor has ever said. I PROPOSE THAT WE BOYCOTT every single movie these bunch of spoiled actors and directors participate in. Is anyone with me? These people forget that they are no one without a public.

October 1, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  21. Betty

He is right! This man should pay he fled the country and lived the high life after raping a girl. I don't care what he said that she aggreed and was willing she was a child!

October 1, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  22. proud conservative

You are absolutely right Govenator! Polanski deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail. He is a fugative from justice!

October 1, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  23. kd

Every now and then is a mention of a plea deal way back when Polanski was supposed to appear before the judge ruling on the case. I can't remember exactly but the snippets of info I've come across randomly (I'm not researching this story) stated that Polanski had spent 40-something days in jail and a plea was arranged that he would be released on time served and probation. But there was some serious speculation that the judge had changed his mind and that's when Polanski took off. The judge is now dead.

Don't know much else but I think the whole story has to be part of the news cycle. I'm not defending Polanski at all, I'm saying that, once again, we're only getting a fraction of the story and people are rushing to judgment without the complete facts. Seems to be the American way these days.

October 1, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Eric

Obivisouly most of you that are commenting have not taking the time to examine ALL of the facts. There's a huge difference between a pedafile and Polanski. First, he had a normal life till Mason and hits nuts sliced up his wife and baby... Then he had to endure that circus... Evidence has come out thaat the DA and the Judge at the time were "gunning" for him to push thier own careers forward.. so, even if you did do this... He wasn't about to get a fair trial... (That's why he took the plea)... Then the DA turns his back on thew plea deal and there railroading him for life. I would run too!!! – I'm not excusing his actions... But there's A LOT if midigating facts we have not seen.

October 1, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. Randolph Carter

Right on, governator! don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Have a nice day!

October 1, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |