October 2nd, 2009

Palin camp's Schmidt response: Wait for the book

Palin is remaining silent about a sharp jab directed at her Friday by former John McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sarah Palin is remaining silent about a sharp jab directed at her Friday by former John McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt, who predicted that a potential Palin presidential bid in 2012 would be "catastrophic."

A spokeswoman for the former Alaska governor said Palin is holding her fire until her new book is released next month.

"The governor will write about all of this in her book," Palin spokeswoman Meg Stapleton said in an e-mail, referring to the internal fighting that marred the final weeks of McCain's president bid. "There will be plenty of time to talk about it then."

"I think that she has talents," he said of McCain's former running mate during a panel discussion with CNN's John King. "But my honest view is that she would not be a winning candidate for the Republican Party in 2012, and in fact, were she the nominee, we could have a catastrophic election result."

Schmidt was speaking at The Atlantic's "First Draft of History" Conference in Washington, D.C.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin • Steve Schmidt
  1. GI Joe

My IQ goes down just reading articles about her. I wouldn't spend one red cent of a few pages filled with her hate-mongering and ego-maniacal lies.

October 2, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. windfall

Oh boy. She'll be all over right wing media shows peddling this thing. Let the deciphering begin!

October 2, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Sarah please run for president!!

You have all the material to beat huissain obama.

Lets take our country back and start using common sense!!!!!!!!!

October 2, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. wait for the book?

I very much doubt any one needs to wait for the book to know how dumb Palin is and how badly her run would be for president

McCain's aide was stating the obvious

October 2, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. RRRUSA

Just because something is dictated to someone who types it in into a computer document that you can print does NOT mean it's true!
    Just writing a political 'Harry Potter' does not mean you have some magical power. I pray for Sarah's sake they run it through 'grammar-check'!!!

October 2, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. Mickey, New York

Screw you, Palin!

October 2, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. Jill

I'm sick to DEATH of Palin! There is NOTHING in her book that I would be interested in hearing about. I'm sure it makes absolutely no sense! I think she is incredibly stupid!

October 2, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. bob

everyone loves a good trainwreck

October 2, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. G D

Catastrophic is relative to your perspective. I think it'd be great to have a GOP candidate that couldn't identify to Couric any major press that she read on a frequent basis & continues to demonstrate that ignorance on a frequent basis. Why an abdicating 1-term governor is of any interest to anyone is beyond me.

October 2, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  10. When liberalism becomes a disease

McCain and his staff are just about as bad as Oliar, Rahm and the thugs. I wouldn't trust either.

October 2, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. Terry from West Texas

Only Sarah Palin can save our republic from destruction! Only her incompetent performance as the Republican candidate for president in 2012 could possibly result in a Democratic landslide large enough to permit President Obama to push his agenda through Congress.

If she runs, I will vote in a Republican primary for the first time in my life – just to vote for her. I urge all of my fellow liberals to do likewise.

May God protect Sarah Palin until November 2012!

October 2, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. Bullwinkle J. Moose

"The governor will write about all of this in her book."

First , she's no longer a governor - SHE QUIT.

Second, SHE CAN'T WRITE.

October 2, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. Steph

AMEN GI Joe!

October 2, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  14. single mom

Her book cannot be nearly as catastrophic as the way Schmidt ran the McCain-Palin campaign last year!

October 2, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  15. Laughing in middle America

I do agree that Mrs. Palin has talent. However that talent is best suited for late night comedy and use by anyone that runs against her. She puts her mouth in gear long before her brain starts. If a light weight interviewer such as Couric can fluster her there is no chance she can handle the real pressures. She will just quit if the going gets too tough. I hope she furnishes crayons with her book. Might keep the kids busy for a few hours.

October 2, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. g canada

should have been called politics for dummies

October 2, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  17. Luckyk

Palin's book was "ghostwritten" by Lynn Vincent and Robert Stacy McCain (no relation to John). She couldn't even READ a book in four months, let alone WRITE one. She and her publishers will make tons of money hawking a book that with her name on it.

October 2, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  18. PD in KC

As has been famously said, "That isn't writing at all, it's typing."

October 2, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  19. Dinah

Bring her on! Will squash her like a bug.

October 2, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  20. Josh

What a bunch of morons these ladies are. How will you address remarks made today in a book that is already published and printed? They can't even lie properly anymore.

October 2, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  21. Lila

Don't you mean the Ex-Governor will have her ghostwriter (who is also insane) write it in her book? ;-)

October 2, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  22. George

Instead of electing an average intelligence woman who would have checked with MIT PHD scientists for objective non partisan opinions on global warming, we elected a socialist who admires Honduranian dictators-would-be, Castro, communists like Ayers who wrote his book "Dreams of my father", America haters like Wright.

If Obama gets his way and spends 11 Trillion on socialist agendas, his true goal would be to create such a horrific capitalistic crisis and 30% unemployment so that at the end of his 2 terms he will become the eternal Putin of the USA.

Like he said at Harvard: I chose the socialist marxist teachers I could find.

October 2, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. Carrie

Sorry Sarah , Thanks but NO thanks , I will pass on the book.

I watched the campaign daily and listened to your tirades, do not need to read the book to know how unfit you were to be VP then, and reading your will not change that!

October 2, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. HJA

First of all Palin didn't write this book. She hired a writer. Second, she has been in this for the money all along. That's why she quit as Alaska's governor. Third...............I can wait........I can wait forever. I gave up comics a long, long time ago.

October 2, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  25. al

sarah is just aweak little women who couldnt get over the fact that politics n media was to much for couldnt handle it so now she wants to prove some prove what palin the only thing ur proving is that u still can get over what happend u cost mccain the elections n all ur dirty little secrets were expose look my advice get over it move on

October 2, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |