October 2nd, 2009

Palin camp's Schmidt response: Wait for the book

Palin is remaining silent about a sharp jab directed at her Friday by former John McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sarah Palin is remaining silent about a sharp jab directed at her Friday by former John McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt, who predicted that a potential Palin presidential bid in 2012 would be "catastrophic."

A spokeswoman for the former Alaska governor said Palin is holding her fire until her new book is released next month.

"The governor will write about all of this in her book," Palin spokeswoman Meg Stapleton said in an e-mail, referring to the internal fighting that marred the final weeks of McCain's president bid. "There will be plenty of time to talk about it then."

"I think that she has talents," he said of McCain's former running mate during a panel discussion with CNN's John King. "But my honest view is that she would not be a winning candidate for the Republican Party in 2012, and in fact, were she the nominee, we could have a catastrophic election result."

Schmidt was speaking at The Atlantic's "First Draft of History" Conference in Washington, D.C.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin • Steve Schmidt
  1. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

What will he learn from the book?

If the book is parallels the Twitter twit's time as Alaska's governor, the last 200 pages will be blank, because she lost interest and quit.

October 2, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  2. sifto77

What a bunch of idiots here cutting up SP–she has the last laugh on all of you and David Letterman–her book has already made millions–she is probably already richer than that little CBS rodent Couric–Good does win out , I truly believe. And Letterman is finally showing his true colors as a left wing loser. He can try and weasel his way out of this one–but won't succeed.

October 2, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. enoughalready

Yawn!

October 2, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. EC

"Palin is holding back her FIRE"? What fire? This woman is a walking misfit of information and credibility. Who cares about Sarah Palin's books. Who's scared of a 5-college journalist? Who's scared of Palin the Quitter?

The only folks buying her books in BULK are the RIGHT WING WACKO organizations who will pass out her book f\or free!!!

Don't believe the bogus LIE about her books selling. This is just another ploy to LIE about the true sale volume of a book. Not surprising.

Just give the book a couple of more weeks. It will soon be in the "CLEARANCE" or recycle pile.

October 2, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  5. Obama Landslide

Hey "Welcome to the Obama Show"

Why is it that none of Bailin' Palin's fans can spell?

Oh, sorry. Forgot.

Education is such an elitist thing.

October 2, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  6. Ray

...And also I told that there bookstore sales man I said "Thanks but No thanks you betcha and also ::wink wink::"

October 2, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  7. Coherent1

Palin sucks as a politician. She's not as coherent about issues as I would have liked her to be as a woman in government. Kinda dense to say the least. But when she puts her mind into achieving something, nothing or no one will stop her. Yeah I cracked on her goofy butt when she stepped down as governor. Then I thought about it.....she walked away from it all, to pursue whatever it is that she wants. For that reason, and that reason only, I'm inspired by her. Looking for the guts to do the same.

Obama/Biden 2012.

October 2, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. victim of republican greed

I want to read the chapter where she explains why it is OK for her to run around with commies and take money from them.

October 2, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Susan

"WILL write about it?" Wait, isn't it finished, Ms. Stapleton? Should you not have said, "Sarah wrote about this in her book?" I think the public is being duped here...she may have gotten a huge signing bonus, but I betcha the publishers are taking a dive on this...after all, they are already discounting it by 40% on Barnes and Noble...and I can hardly wait to her Palin handle an unscripted, not set up interview somewhere other than Fox. Betcha she won't do them!

October 2, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. marcus2

"The Governor will write all about this in her book," said Meg S. That's a laugh. Whatever is written will be the work of a ghost-writer. Sarah Palin couldn't write her way out of a paper bag.

October 2, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. victim of republican greed

Sarah is going to 'swift boat' McCain.

October 2, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. TCM

I love how Palin just rubs you libs the wrong way...I've never seen the truth be so painful....

October 2, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. J.P.

Ronald Reagan said this best in 1975:

"I don‘t know about you, but I am impatient with those Republicans who after the last election rushed into print saying, “We must broaden the base of our party”—when what they meant was to fuzz up and blur even more the differences between ourselves and our opponents.

"It was a feeling that there was not a sufficient difference now between the parties that kept a majority of the voters away from the polls. When have we ever advocated a closed-door policy? Who has ever been barred from participating?

"Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?"

Love her or hate her, you KNOW where Palin stands on issues, and that sort of certainty unnerves squishy squashy liberals whose world view has so many shades of grey, they won't even take their own side in an argument.

October 2, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. Jen

I dont care about her book and I dont have no interest in reading any gosip backfire from her. I dont trust anything she says either. She has been found on truth meters to be HIGHLY False on many of her statements. Trying to find something to "stir" or "scare" people. Im sick of her.. and I do not plan on reading her lies. I read about them enough on CNN and other Networks that I guess think they find her "credible??" Yeah... Whatever!! Get news that is truth not lies and propaganda to stir up stuff, get the American people angry with one another. I think if America falls.. it will be the result from Media and people like Palin that Lie. I really do!

October 2, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. victim of republican greed

If only the good die young, I think Sarah will live to a ripe old age.

October 2, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  16. Ryan

As an independent voter........I will not vote for Sarah Palin. In fact, she was the sole reason why I could not vote for the McCain ticket. I cant even begin to describe how incompetent this woman is for a presidential bid. This would be the democrats wet dream in 2012. No matter what Obama does until 2012, if the republicans pony up Palin as their candidate, Obama will easily be re-elected.

Now, can we forget about Palin?

October 2, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. John

Every body in Palin's Camp is so Eager, When she's expecting ? :)

I mean when is she expecting her book to be released......... :P Ha Ha Ha Ha................

October 2, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  18. Aloha Joe

She's referred to as the "Governor?" She quit public service in the middle of a term to pursue personal interests. I don't think she's entitled to this esteemed title.

She's the lead character in the movie Idiocracy. If she thinks she has a chnace against Obama in '12, then she's smoking the same stuff her advisors are.

October 2, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  19. David Vitter, Larry Craig and Mark Foley were just the beginning

Of cour$e Palin want$ everyone to BUY the book. Why else did former First Dude Todd quit his job? Because $arah is now the family's gravy train. Greed above all else. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!! America loves money-grubbing train-wreck celebrities like Britney, Lindsay Lohan and Sarah Palin.

October 2, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  20. Mike Dallas

"I think that she has talents"

Yes, but prancing around in a 25 year old swimsuit with a glittery sash and the ablility to play the flute will only get Failin' Palin notoriety and book deals which are then bought by Dick Armey to push it to #1.

To be fair, she can field dress a moose and is a well dressed fishwife.

October 2, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  21. The Wall

I'll wait for the comic book version

October 2, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  22. Diana

George, check your sources. It was a Republican – Jim Demint who went to Honduras to support the coup and go against the US. He was also joined by other republicans.

October 2, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. Thomas

After watching the special video series on National Parks . I'm more convinced then ever on the devastation and non mindfulness that individuals such as Sarah Palin bring to this great land .
    DRILL BABY DRILL !

October 2, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  24. Butterfly

sifto77 October 2nd, 2009 5:45 pm ET

So money=good to you? I don't care how much money Sarah Palin or anyone for that matter makes. The value of a person does not have anything to do with a bank account. She makes millions of dollars for her and her family. So what. What has she actually done for society? I want one real thing she has done that has made this world a better place. Mother Theresa was poorer than dirt. Sarah has got a long way to go to get to good.

October 2, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  25. TH - ATL

First of all your I.Q. were never fully developed anyway. Second of all Sarah Palin in the White House scares the hell out of a democrat. They won't have a chance of getting a dem in there. The world won't want Obama back because they are slowly learning all about him.

October 2, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |