October 2nd, 2009

Palin camp's Schmidt response: Wait for the book

Palin is remaining silent about a sharp jab directed at her Friday by former John McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sarah Palin is remaining silent about a sharp jab directed at her Friday by former John McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt, who predicted that a potential Palin presidential bid in 2012 would be "catastrophic."

A spokeswoman for the former Alaska governor said Palin is holding her fire until her new book is released next month.

"The governor will write about all of this in her book," Palin spokeswoman Meg Stapleton said in an e-mail, referring to the internal fighting that marred the final weeks of McCain's president bid. "There will be plenty of time to talk about it then."

"I think that she has talents," he said of McCain's former running mate during a panel discussion with CNN's John King. "But my honest view is that she would not be a winning candidate for the Republican Party in 2012, and in fact, were she the nominee, we could have a catastrophic election result."

Schmidt was speaking at The Atlantic's "First Draft of History" Conference in Washington, D.C.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin • Steve Schmidt
  1. Bush's "Suck"cess: My Pet Goat, Mission Accomplished & Heckuva Job Brownie

Palin is a conniving, lying sack of .... I'd take Schmidt's word over hers any day. Heck, I'd take Sanford's and Ensign's word over hers.

October 2, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  2. mark l holland

I pray to God that Palin is the 2012 Republican Presidential choice. Then I know Obama will win a second term

October 2, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  3. Marshall

Palin doesn't rub libs the wrong way. She is just riding the wave after being picked a running mate for John McCain and she is not an intelligent woman. We just can't stand to hear her talk about nothing. Let her stay with her grassroot folks that are so behind the times they would listen to anything. Just let her talk to her base and let us breath some fresh air. Let her take care of her husband and all those children and grandchild off of the grassroots money. I wouldn't spend a dime on her book that would have never been if John McCain had not opened up pandora's box and she is so slick she is riding the tides. Go Sarah get rich off of these stupid people. You Betcha!!

October 2, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  4. Greg C.

I voted for McCain and Palin; frankly while I had great respect for McCain as a military leader and public servant, I felt he lacked what it took to win against Obama. Frankly, Sarah was the only reason he remained viable. If anyone should be faulted, it should be the campaign manager for not equipping her. She was poorly managed as was McCain's whole campaign.

October 2, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  5. Give me a Break

Hey Cons....do yourselves a favor. Go hide in a cave with each other preaching the doom and gloom of the future. You stood idily by as our country was raped by YOUR guy. Then when the opposing party completely takes over, you act surprised. How laughable. So just go on, bide your time; you'll get your chance to be one of the 26% of neocons who vote for this woman.

October 2, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. Don

I think I'll be a little more open-minded than the angry-left and read the book. Might be interesting to hear her point of view. I've heard the hope and change bandwagon, and frankly it's missing a few wheels.

October 2, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. Lydia

Palin has absolutely no chance of winning the presidency of the United States...unless all people with rational thought are lobotomized.

October 2, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  8. hadelaide

Her camp's response is meant to entice people to buy this vitriolic word salad. Shame on McCain, Schmidt and others who were prepared to unleashed this psychopath on the nation and the world.

October 2, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  9. Ken in NC

Now this is funny. I never dreamed I would pull for Dick Cheney for anything but I wish she would go hunting with him. My money would be on Cheney.

October 2, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  10. steven harnack

" She will write about it..." implies that she is still in the writing stage of this project.Did they just state that it was done to get some feedback for topics to include in the book? I guess the good thing,for them antway, about the way thet mangle the english language is that they can always say "that's not what we meant" and you have to believe them cause you don't know what it was they did say.

October 2, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  11. Jealous, jealous !!!!!!!

What a bunch of jealous airheads posting on this blog! So what have YOU accomplished lately - other than living on welfare with your flat screen, Starbucks - and blogging from morning 'til night. What a sorry lot! And you want ME to pay for your healthcare? In your dream!

October 2, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  12. Mamixztwo

What an embarrassment Palin is to her party. Oh wait! Her party supports her! What an embarrassment her party is to America!!!!!!!

However, I do support her primary nomination for the GOP....those SNL skits will be HILARIOUS and will provide much comic relief for this country !!!!!! =)

October 2, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  13. daniel louis

i love to get on these l sites to see how upset palin makes the whiny liberals. yeah your right i am sure her publisher is so upset that they signed palin up- bet they wish they could have signed pelosi instead. by the way at least palin admists she had a collaborator. its now coming out that obama had a ghost writer for his second book.- bill ayers. just perfect.

October 2, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  14. mike,texas

thank god for Palin or McCain would be president.

October 2, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  15. OldUncleTom

My instincts tell me that the Palin book will be a party favor at GOP fundraisers in a few weeks. I would be very impressed if there are more than a few thousand "quantity 1" sales, though total volume may be inflated by political contributions disguised as book orders.

October 2, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  16. Suzieq

Sara is a real person, and that is one of her greatest assets. I for one am sick and tired of the "normal" politicians and twittering elite who put themselves above those they consider the unwashed masses, too ignorant to make their own decisions. They often lack real world experience and have never done anything but go to law school and work on government funded projects where success is not dependent on performance or ability. Incidentally, it appears they have learned how to write incomprehensible laws (or their staff have) that they can't understand anymore than a regular guy could. Don't think Sara is dumb or ignorant – think she got stuck with "handlers" who were afraid of someone who speaks truth.

October 2, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  17. Four and The Door

It's clear by to anyone who is paying attention that America got it wrong in 2008. It cost us trillions of borrowed dollars to see what lies in the wrong direction but we got it wrong.

Unfortunately, this administration and congress have used the " previous administration" excuse like a crutch since taking office and we can expect to see more of the same for 3 more years.

Palin 2012! I just hope she will still have a treasury to use at that time and doesn't have to learn to speak chinese to access our government's funds.

October 2, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  18. normajean

Palins spokeperson says she will tell more in her book,,...How? I'ts already in the bookstores. Unless she plans to have another book written for her, maybe we'll be lucky to only hear about the one.The woman that wrote this book has written a lot of books that nobody ever heard of . Maybe she'll be lucky with Sarah, the "rogue".

October 2, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  19. Petena

Please Sarah run. We need a landslide victor for Obama. I misss SNL too.

October 2, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  20. Buddy Gilmour

Once again proving that there truly is no success like failure.

October 2, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  21. Sean

Palin will not write it. Someone else will. If Palin wrote it, the grammar would be a mess and it would be written in crayon. She's as dumb as they get...

October 2, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. denise

I can't wait to read it. I have already pre-ordered my copy. God Bless you, Sarah!

October 2, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  23. momof3

I looooove how the ticker is really obsessed of Palin.
    everybody wish her to go away, yet... any articles about Palin hits the most comments... ~ filled with hatred..... :))
    Do you guys really really want her to go away or are you that obsessed that you don't want to miss any of her story....

October 2, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  24. Robert from Montreal

I know I am just a 'lowly socialist Canadian' but the debate down south is making me nervous. Heaven help North America if Palin gets the nomination...the the hicks and christian right will be dancing in the streets.

October 2, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  25. Dave

Ryan,

You wouldn't vote for Palin as VP on the Republican ticket because she was "so incompetent". Then you turned around and voted for the Democrat President that IS "so incompetent".

Nice reasoning you have there.

October 2, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |