October 3rd, 2009

Alaska's 'First Dude' resigns

Todd Palin quit his job in the oil fields.
Todd Palin quit his job in the oil fields.

WASHINGTON (CNN)– The 'First Dude' of Alaska will no longer be working in the oil fields.

The Alaska Dispatch reports Todd Palin has quit his job with BP’s North Slope operation. The newspaper quotes BP Company spokesman Steve Rinehart as saying Palin submitted his resignation last month and officially resigned September 18.

As a production operator, Todd Palin was responsible for management of the oil gathering centers, where oil is gathered from multiple wells.

BP PLC is one of the largest energy companies in the world.

Todd Palin, the "First Dude" to former Governor Sarah Palin, shot to national fame along with his wife when she was named Republican vice presidential nominee. He also professionally races snowmobiles (known in Alaska as “snowmachines) and is a commercial fisherman.

News of his resignation comes about two months after Sarah Palin's resignation from office on July 26.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Todd Palin
  1. Brenda Bracey

To borrow a line from the gorgeous country singer Billy Currington, "God is great, beer is good and people are crazy." Anything goes anymore and I woud imagine she will travel and Todd will have to take up the slack and be Mr. Mom. I cannot believe she gets so much press and it is for mostly nothing. Typical is no longer typical and we all have to make something work for us.

October 3, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Pragmatic

Now who pays for their health care?? Hope they don't have a pre-existing condition ... but their son does ... can they get health coverage for them? What about the daughter and grandson?

Mr. Palin is probably counting on the income from book sales & speaking engagements – or will be staying home to raise the kids? Maybe more time to work with the radical group that wants Alaska to leave the Union? Time will tell ...

October 3, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Sandy

He had a job? :) LOL What a bunch of quitters.

October 3, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. sheena - Canada

Jesus – and I mean that as a prayer – why are so many people caught up with this woman – I am a single white Christian woman who has had to work all her life to support myself and my son – no regrets- I have always supported womans rights – but this is just crazy – a McCain canditate to counter Clinton in the campaign – yea – bad move.

I thought woman were above voting on gender – I thought the movement was about voting on qualified candidates.

And as a Christian – I would just ask Sarah and her supporters to actually read the Bible – and quote Scriptures for your believes – Christ was about love – no yells for "kill him" "friend of terorist" etc

grow up – get a life – think for youselve

and may God forgive you all for what you are doing to your country -Its not your President – its you.

October 3, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  5. jjs

Obviously CNN is in love with the Palins, because I never read about them on other news websites like I do on this one. I wish you people will get over it and move on to other things, let these people live out their lives without the media breathing down their backs for crying out loud. The next thing I'll be reading about is: THE PALINS ARE LEAVING ALASKA. So what, who friggin cares, move on, and get a friggin life.

October 3, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  6. Darrell

Good for Todd, I would likely do the same thing if I had a wife that could fool so many Americans with her useless life. The fact that she can sell millions of copies of a book when she has done very little in life, is a statement to the rest of the world that people are out of their minds and will give money for no good reason. If I were Tood and all these suckers would buy a book from my wife I would resign too. Sarah Palin is the biggest joke in the world and Americans keep buying her up so why work when you have people stupid enough to buy your wifes book, when she has done nothing remarkable. Paris Hilton is rich for no good rason so why not Todd.

October 3, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. HoseA

What in the h=ll is wrong with you Liberals?
    What did Sarah Palin ever do that she deserves such vitriolic hatred as this?
    But it makes perfect sense that you same people say that Conservatives who disagree with what Obama is doing to this country are haters for not backing his communism are really flaming hate mongers towards a Woman who is destined to be the first Female President of the USA.

Go Sarah Palin.
    Palin2012.........

October 3, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  8. Murf

Mike, a question asked is a question answered. In Michelle Obama's OFFICIAL CAPACITY as First Lady, as with the others before her, she has taken up a cause and for her it's military spouses and their families. Now please contrast this with Mrs. Palin's husband official role. What might that be, please enlighten us? Seriously.

October 3, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. ThinkAgain

Michelle Obama's most recent job before becoming First Lady was as vice president of community relations and external affairs at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

And yes, when her husband was elected President of the United States and her family moved to the White House, she quit her job.

This is a far cry from Todd Palin leaving his job simply because his wife inked a book deal. Sarah Palin left in the middle of her term as governor because she suddenly found public service to be boring (and not very lucrative). Both Palins are cashing in on their "celebrity" status, to satisfy their egos and craving for the limelight.

October 3, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  10. radioactive

who cares? some nobody married to anther nobody...unless you're a member of the paranoia, fear-mongering society known as the republican party.

October 3, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  11. jjs

CNN this kind of news does boost your rating, so why do you keep posting garbage about them? The only answer I can come up with is, because you CNN like to keep the liberal base stirred up and ticked off as long as you can.

October 3, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  12. joe m

this is ridiculous. the man's wife is making lots of cash doing what she's doing. if they decided that he could leave his job and spend more time with their kids, then what's so wrong with that? if palin were a liberal darling, rather than a conservative bulwark, todd palin's decision would be hailed as the act of a man not affraid to take on the non-traditional role in taking a greater part in the rearing of his children. for those on the left who find something snarky to say about this 'no-news' item, you really need to get a life. for the supporters on the right, who hail this, again, this is not really news. oh well! a man who has a wife making good money leaves his job to stay home with the kids. Yawn. my neighbor's been doing this for nearly five years.

October 3, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  13. republicans hate america

you see a pattern of cut and run quiters here?

October 3, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  14. phoenix86

I wish Obama would quit his. The country would be better off.

October 3, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  15. jjs

Who Cares?

October 3, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  16. Bullwinkle J. Moose

Quitting–a Palin trait. Hope they didn't pass it on to their kids....

October 3, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. Sky

This is front page newsworthy? Really, CNN? Really?

There must not be much else going on in the world this weekend, I guess.

October 3, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Dee

Good luck Sarah and Todd. There are a lot of jealous people on this board. If this is capitalism, I love it!

October 3, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. jjs

Your starting to look like those crappy news magazines that I see at the check out counter in the grocery store. The next thing I'll be reading about on here is: WILL BRAD AND JEN GET BACK TOGETHER? Again who cares CNN.

October 3, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  20. Drewski

Ahhhh

The grass is so green on the other side once the alpha member of the family has sown the seeds of financial grazing for the short term in the pasture of pseudo fame......beware that the grass does wilt, and the opportunist element will wilt as well when the well goes dry and the herd (GOP) moves on to real greener pastures and a better cow or should I say steer. Once the cash cow is revealed as the dormant with no value added other than an appearance on the talk circuit it will be thrown under the bus.

October 3, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  21. Moonbeam

Good Lord! I did not realize that Todd Palin had a job in the first place!

October 3, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  22. Lynn-BR

Palins' ---> Beverly Hillbillies!!! Enough Said!!!

October 3, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  23. Minnesotan

We don't care anymore about Todd Palin than we do about Sarah Palin. If both of them were to fall into a volcano, nobody would care!

October 3, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. Mark in Boca

Who Cares.

October 3, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. MartiM, Plano, TX

Well, why not? Momma is bringin' home the bacon! Dude, I would do the same. LOL! :-)

October 3, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |