October 3rd, 2009

Alaska's 'First Dude' resigns

Todd Palin quit his job in the oil fields.
Todd Palin quit his job in the oil fields.

WASHINGTON (CNN)– The 'First Dude' of Alaska will no longer be working in the oil fields.

The Alaska Dispatch reports Todd Palin has quit his job with BP’s North Slope operation. The newspaper quotes BP Company spokesman Steve Rinehart as saying Palin submitted his resignation last month and officially resigned September 18.

As a production operator, Todd Palin was responsible for management of the oil gathering centers, where oil is gathered from multiple wells.

BP PLC is one of the largest energy companies in the world.

Todd Palin, the "First Dude" to former Governor Sarah Palin, shot to national fame along with his wife when she was named Republican vice presidential nominee. He also professionally races snowmobiles (known in Alaska as “snowmachines) and is a commercial fisherman.

News of his resignation comes about two months after Sarah Palin's resignation from office on July 26.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Todd Palin
  1. Zivo24

I don't consider Sarah Palin to be that intelligent about subjects like the economy, foreign relations, health care..and just people in general.

But I do think she's very clever and savvy about figuring out ways to get what she wants.

Personally, I'm beginning to think that she may have all but thrown the election because I think she knew...or had people telling her..that there was more money to be made as a spurned woman neo-con than as a vice-president.

That there are people on the right who still respect and even look to this woman will help keep the democrats in power for years to come.

So, go ahead...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...keep holding this corrupt and vile fearmongerer up as the best hope of your party!

October 3, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. pls

So what.

October 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Rob

I make it a point not to judge someone whose shoes I've never walked in.

October 3, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. Debby

Well they do own their own fishing buisness maybe he is going to concentrate on that more.

October 3, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. redleg

I just say no was for dope, not work.

October 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Lynne

Shouldn't be "former" first dude??

October 3, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. Terry from West Texas

Anybody can quit his or her job any time they want to. No need to see it as being a quitter like his wife, who double-crossed those Alaskans who voted for her. My employer certainly wouldn't hesitate to lay me off, and the president of the corporation I work for would jump ship in a heartbeat for a few more bucks. No reason to worry about them.

October 3, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. Raymond

What is wrong with quitting? I admired a person who quit from his/her job because he or she disagreed with evil principles from the top. i myself has resigned from my past jobs if I find that good priniciples and moral judgments are override by some stupid management. I was in a military before, and I never quit, because, my ultimate principle is to defend our basic freedom. To those people who never quit the job does not mean that they are great leaders with great principles. Most likely, these people just do not want to lose their jobs because they do not have guts to look for better one and their principles are weakling. BHO is a popular president but this does not mean that he is a strong and reliable leader, perhaps, he is a kind of leader who can sacrifice his moral values and principle just to keep his popularity and keeping his job. On the contrary, Sarah Palin stands by her moral principle and with this, she is showing her toughness. MORAL PRINCIPLE + TOUGHNESS = MAKES AN EFFECTIVE LEADER. One thing more, graduating from an elite University will not make a man a strong and effective leader. Great instincts, good moral judgment and great common sense are the qualities I will look if I want an effective leader to run my business. In effective business, managers must hire people that produces effective results and not charm services. Lastly, I say, I admire Sarah Palin. She is smart like a fox and that is why she is making millions right now. Do you think Katie Couric and Gibson can match this move??? I bet ya...LOL!!

October 3, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. Chris

This is newsworthy? Seriously?

October 3, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. Trish

Okay, well, now they will have to self-insure for health insurance. See how they like it – oh, that's right, they are rich now. I guess they can afford anything they want.

Don't buy the book. It's a load of lies, anyway.

Todd can stay home and take care of the kids and both grandsons.

October 3, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  11. JSL

Scads of cash baby?
    You betcha...Tadd and Sarah are loaded now.

October 3, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  12. texas

wisconsin –
    What are you calling weak character and moral fiber? You repugs
    twist and turn and create anything to massage your wounded politcal egos.

October 3, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Alan

Sheesh – what a bunch of noobs posting on this subject. Obviously gotta be a bunch of kids. No one here has ever resigned/quite their job? Come on, what a bunch of hypocrites. Maybe he's got a better gig lined up – would not anyone here do the same? Jeeze – get over your vitriol for the Palin's and get on with your life.

October 3, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. Jay T.

The fact that this guy is still referred to as the "First Dude" is still funny. It's probably the only thing left from the year in Palin from which I derive enjoyment.

October 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. Lisa

Wow, so he is a quitter too. I guess when your wife cashes in on a 11 million book deal you can do that. opportunists.

October 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  16. Meredith

I see the looney lefties are out in force again....way to go Todd....wish I could quit my day job....the libs have made you and Sarah rich and now you get to have the last laugh! :-)

October 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  17. Useyourbrain!!

Dude probably should have kept that job. Sarah might just take her $ and leave.

October 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. Matt

good for him. In this time of high unemployment it would be selfish of him to keep his job when he doesn't need the money.

October 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. Richard L

As if anyone couldn't figure it out:

Sarah Palin's TRUE reason for QUITTING: $$$$$$$$$
    Now Todd has verified that.

October 3, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. Lou

Just a family full of quitters, aren't they? Now Todd can ride on Sarah's coattails. Maybe he'll take care of the children, might be a good idea if someone does.

October 3, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  21. bobn

What a bunch of busybodies! Are these really the sample of those that follow CNN?

October 3, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  22. Willow

This pair of low-llife quitters only stayed in the game long enough to use ignorant voters to get the Palin's to the end game-money! The book deal will rake in enough for this pair of nobody's and that's all they care about....until they need a refill of cash!

They have no interest in oil.....their only interest was in the "Gold Digging" opportunities they could get out of the voters of Alaska and the US.

How pathetic!

October 3, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Apolitical

Don't get it yet? They're ALL CROOKS-Dems, Reps, Libs, ...
    The pols and the finance guys are sitting pretty now, and they want it to stay that way.
    The system is locked up tighter than a (you fill in your own blank).
    The evolution of our political/financial system is leading us down a very scary path. "Utopia is the absence of politics".
    F 'em all.

October 3, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  24. me

Now in a couple of days, we're going to have to hear about Sassy Sarah throwing him out on his ass for being a lazy, do-nothing, doesn't-go-to-work, drinks too much, filandering slob with no motivation and doesn't want to help with the caribou stew and crappy diapers either. Now that you've both quit, GO AWAY!!!

October 3, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |