October 4th, 2009

Beck is 'out and out nuts,' Carville says

Democrat James Carville said Sunday that conservative commentator Glenn Beck is 'out and out nuts' while Carville's wife, a Republican, had kinder words about the Fox News anchor.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Fox News anchor and conservative commentator Glenn Beck was taking incoming fire Sunday from both ends of the political spectrum, but especially from Democratic strategist James Carville.

"I think he's nuts, OK?," the outspoken Democrat said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union,"

"Just out-and-out nuts. And I also think that he's a blatant hypocrite," Carville said. "Here's somebody that sits on his show ... weeping about how much he loves America and ... and then he's absolutely giddy when his country doesn't get the Olympics. And this is - I'll tell you another thing about Glenn Beck. He wouldn't know the difference between a football, a bat and a hockey court. This guy is not - he's just all - he's just all weeping."

Carville was reacting to earlier comments Sunday on Fox News, where Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina made it clear that he was not a fan of Beck.

"[H]e doesn't represent the Republican Party," Graham said of Beck, "When a person says he represents conservatism and that the country is better off with Barack Obama than John McCain, that sort of ends the debate for me as to how much more I'm going to listen."

"So he has a right to say what he wants to say. In my view, it's not - it's not the kind of political analysis that I buy into," Graham said.

Republican strategist Mary Matalin disagreed with Graham and with Carville, who is her husband.

"[Beck] has two best-sellers," Matalin told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King, "This has never happened before. Two No. 1 best-sellers in hard-cover and paperback, non-fiction. All right. Somebody out there is listening [to] what Glenn Beck says. I know he [Carville] doesn't listen and Lindsey doesn't listen."

"[Beck] doesn't affiliate with either party, or any party," Matalin also observed Sunday, "but he has tapped into this mainstream of America who feels otherwise not listened to."

Before joining Fox News, Beck anchored a show on CNN Headline News, a sister network to CNN.

Carville and Matalin are both CNN political contributors.

Filed under: Extra • Glenn Beck • James Carville • Mary Matalin • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. Yahbut

Who ever said that James Carville was sane?
    I think he is a nut and an extremely nasty one.

October 4, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  2. WeThePeopleofVirginia

Carville calling someone nuts . . . takes one to know one.

October 4, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  3. Ray

You mean that it's not common knowledge that he's out and out nuts? That's why he's on FAUX News. That way, all the nuts are in one basket.

October 4, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  4. Carolyn Mooney

I think Glenn Beck has real problems. I am a Canadian who has been privileged to live in the US for the past 32 years. I consider myself to be an independent in terms of philosophy. But I don't understand why Glenn Beck is held up as a spokesperson for the Republican party or Conservatives. That also goes for Rush Limbaugh. Why doesn't the Republican party disassociate themselves publicly form these poor pathetic ignorant people? It is a mystery to me. I can't imagine them being an asset to anyone!!

October 4, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  5. AlRam

What can you expect from a person like Glen Beck? Of course he is nuts through and through. But on the other hand, he has to make a living and this is how he do it. Fooling people especially Republicans.

October 4, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. Jose

No, he's not a news anchor. Yes, he is nuts.

October 4, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  7. Tim

I've never heard of a "hockey court" though I have skated on many hockey rinks. Nice one Carville...real smooth.

October 4, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  8. Glenn Texas

Beck is a money hungry fake.

October 4, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  9. mama panda

What's-his-name "has tapped into this mainstream America who feels otherwise not listened to"??? Gee, and I thought I was a mainstream American.

October 4, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  10. Sujon

yes, it is quite clear that the Dems and CNN would be experts on their classification of beck, obviously they are speaking from experience

October 4, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. Leah

Glenn is a passionate person. His tears are real. I am thrilled a voice like his is getting attention. Millions of Americans share similar conservative views.

And before Carville whips out statements about the Olympics like that, he should understand the details as to why Beck opposed it. It has to do with our sinking economy, astronomical debt, and the financial burden Olympics can be on a nation as they prepare for them. We need to get this budget back on track!!!!!

October 4, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. duke

glenn beck is complete moron.

October 4, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. Sentinel

Glenn Beck & Rush Limbaugh: Slander & Defamation for profit! Lying, inflammatory rhetoric – all for profit. Neither one of these guys has a genuine conviction. They are driven by money!

October 4, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. Mike TX

Call him what you will but he does have a following.

October 4, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  15. Patriot

Carville should know. He is the most crazed nut case I've seen in the last fifteen years. I don't believe Beck has yet reached the height of wackoism that Carville has attained.

October 4, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. Richp

Maybe he's a nut but what have YOU reps and dems done in the past 12 years to reduce the loss of jobs to countries with lower corporate taxes, I'm also glad we did not get the Olympics, at least now 100 thousand plus people won't be dislocated while new show places are built and the Chicago machine pockets millions in kickbacks and pay offs.

October 4, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. Alice

Beck has plugged into the whacked-out fringe wiich, as Matalin says, has not been reached out to before. There are lots of them – and they ALL love Glenn Beck. I am sure their libraries would not be complete without Sarah Palin's upcoming book as well.

October 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  18. CM

He is nuts and nothing but hate spews from his mind; I hope the children of this great country do not listen to the Becks of the world for they speak not the truth.

October 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  19. B

Why is the NUT case Beck still on the air....$

Can you imagine the whackos that follow that fool?

October 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  20. Texas Liberal

Glenn Beck appeals to the dull-minded people of this country.

October 4, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  21. Ryan, Council Bluffs

I see that Beck is now the Democrats Public Enemy #1. Maybe they should read his book, "Argue with Idiots" He has some footnotes in it so they can just read the facts and not the spin.

October 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  22. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Carville is correct. The fact are that Beck has books that sell well. That doesn't mean he is correct or knows something. Every single American should have been hoping the Olypics went to Chicago. I would hope that we can all agree that it would be a way to show that America is a great place. I guess that Beck doesn't think that all of America is great. It must just be him... Not really!

October 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. Carol

I used to enjoy Glen Beck when he was on HLN talking business and economics with his guests. I actually learned something. Now since moving to Fox, he comes off as a fruit loop pandering to the conspiracy theorists. After 5 minutes, I switch the channel. I hope he’s being paid well to act like a goof.

October 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. Paul H

Mr Beck must be doing something right to have this guy talking crap about him.
    "Democratic strategist James Carville." Doesn't hold a candle to Glen Becks........................................... Well you know.
    Obama going over there, and pitching for the Olympics to be in America, when all he has done the past year is fly all over the world apologizing about how arrogant, and bad we are. And he expected them to give into them because he's got just the right things to say in the old teleprompter.

October 4, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  25. down in the middle

Beck is the voice for the folks that wear tin foil hats! Everyone needs their patron mouthpiece.

October 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |