October 4th, 2009

Beck is 'out and out nuts,' Carville says

Democrat James Carville said Sunday that conservative commentator Glenn Beck is 'out and out nuts' while Carville's wife, a Republican, had kinder words about the Fox News anchor.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Fox News anchor and conservative commentator Glenn Beck was taking incoming fire Sunday from both ends of the political spectrum, but especially from Democratic strategist James Carville.

"I think he's nuts, OK?," the outspoken Democrat said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union,"

"Just out-and-out nuts. And I also think that he's a blatant hypocrite," Carville said. "Here's somebody that sits on his show ... weeping about how much he loves America and ... and then he's absolutely giddy when his country doesn't get the Olympics. And this is - I'll tell you another thing about Glenn Beck. He wouldn't know the difference between a football, a bat and a hockey court. This guy is not - he's just all - he's just all weeping."

Carville was reacting to earlier comments Sunday on Fox News, where Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina made it clear that he was not a fan of Beck.

"[H]e doesn't represent the Republican Party," Graham said of Beck, "When a person says he represents conservatism and that the country is better off with Barack Obama than John McCain, that sort of ends the debate for me as to how much more I'm going to listen."

"So he has a right to say what he wants to say. In my view, it's not - it's not the kind of political analysis that I buy into," Graham said.

Republican strategist Mary Matalin disagreed with Graham and with Carville, who is her husband.

"[Beck] has two best-sellers," Matalin told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King, "This has never happened before. Two No. 1 best-sellers in hard-cover and paperback, non-fiction. All right. Somebody out there is listening [to] what Glenn Beck says. I know he [Carville] doesn't listen and Lindsey doesn't listen."

"[Beck] doesn't affiliate with either party, or any party," Matalin also observed Sunday, "but he has tapped into this mainstream of America who feels otherwise not listened to."

Before joining Fox News, Beck anchored a show on CNN Headline News, a sister network to CNN.

Carville and Matalin are both CNN political contributors.

Filed under: Extra • Glenn Beck • James Carville • Mary Matalin • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. Mando

So liberals from both parties agree that they dislike Beck. Nothing can prove Beck's conservative credentials more than that.

October 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. tonym

All right wing radio nut is out there to create controversy and compete who is the most carzy among them. Being crazy sells on tv and radio. Most who listen to them don't believe what they have to say but as long as they watch and listen it drives up ratings which brings revenues to their show. If there would ever again be a republican president people like Beck would be out of business because they wouldn't have any audience.

October 4, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. Marcus

Not News!!!

October 4, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. Buddy Gilmour

Beck, Rush, Coulter, and O'Reilly are sound and fury signifying nothing. I wish the Dems would publish a list of the companies/products advertised on their shows so that I could avoid using them.

October 4, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. Mark

Oh its not fair when someone in the media picks on liberals now is it.

October 4, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  6. Robert Sparks

You have to keep in mind that Beck dropped out of college in the first semester and he doesn't have an original thought in his head. In knowing that, is there any reason whatsoever that anyone should listen to anything he has to say? And furthermore, what gives Beck the idea that HE has anything to say?

October 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  7. R M M

I think Mary should be annointed for sainthood for having to put up with the Louisiana lunatic

October 4, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  8. Pete

Glen Beck is a mentally impaired person who does not have a clue what reality is. Fox News is desperate to get somebody like him TRYiNG to report HIS news. Just leave him alone, he is like a little kid in 2nd grade trying to get the class(nation)'s attention by making noises that seem like talk and tantrums that might make people laugh. Lindsay Graham is the only Republican smart and brave enough to tell it like it is.

October 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. Randy Davis

The loser isn't a "news anchor", he is a commentator with a huge platform.

October 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  10. Peggy

Glenn Beck is a sniveling little wimp who put on a crying performance to make people believe he really cares about America. It was nothing more than a publicity seeking ploy and it made him look so weak and foolish. Definitely not at all like a man, more like a sissy boy. He clearly is a moron and I'll never understand why anyone bothers to watch him. Are Americans that stupid??! It appears that some are.

October 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. charlie in Maine

Amen brutha.

October 4, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. just a spectator

Hockey court? Carville's an idiot.

October 4, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  13. German,Irish American

This coming from the Democrat stratigist who said before 9/11 that he wanted Bush to fail? So I guess that Carville calling him "nuts" seems to be coming from someone with experience in the "nut" category.

October 4, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Andy

I've stopped listening to Glen Beck. A few years ago, I thought he was right on spot about most issues. Now, I disagree with him completely. He's not a right wing republican? That's news to me. Has Mary actually listened to his radio show? He could swap scripts with Limbaugh and wallah – same message.
    I have a mind of my own, and I don't need another "Know-it-all" entertainer to help me "figure out what's right and what's wrong".
    Remember, we voted his side out last November for good reasons. To hear him cryin, kicking, and screaming all of the time about that makes me sick. We, the American people, are just as smart as Mr. Beck is.

October 4, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  15. Ed In Hartsville

I'm a Democrat, but I'm glad to have someone with good sense represent our state. Lindsey keeps this up and I may end up voting Republican.

October 4, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  16. Allen

"news anchor"??

October 4, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  17. Linda C

Glenn Beck is awesome! The libs are petrified that, more and more people, are tuning in and hearing what he has to say!

October 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  18. Ken

Are you kidding me? Yes, I detest FoxNews, and yes I enjoy CNN. Despite that, I find this article absolutely reprehensible. For CNN to try to create news out of a quote from their own show is nothing short of embarassing. I have lost a lot of repsect for CNN today, you have taken the low road.

October 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  19. dougie dude

wow carville's one to talk. what the heck is a hockey court??? idiot.

October 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  20. Hockey Dad

It's called a hockey rink...... :)

October 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  21. Sigandaprayer

Having two best-sellers doesn't mean anything you say is rooted in the truth. It just means you are sensational enough to sell books. I stomach his show from time to time and he is out there peddling his books every 10 minutes. Stuff like, you want to know how to respond to the crazies who are taking our country it's all in my book, blah, blah. Whether or not he openly picks a party or not he throws shots at the Dems and rarely the Republicans. He's an idiot.

October 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  22. Dianne

Carville is the out and out idiot. The guy is so far up Obama's backside, it's pathetic.

October 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  23. Adam

Leave it to CNN to call Beck a "news anchor". This is, after all, CNN. On CNN "balance" is having a republican and democrat debate if Obama truly does hate America. When you "balance" republicans and democrats you get something pretty far to the right (CNN).

October 4, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  24. Larry

James Carville calling someone "nuts" is laughable. He belongs in a padded cell himself.

October 4, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  25. jenny

i guess carville is speaking about himself. he has got to be the extreme of nuts. im not sure why his wife woulde stay with him. he definety needs help- he is one bad, ignorant nut.

October 4, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |