October 5th, 2009

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter

New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.
New GOP ad hits Deeds on remark to female reporter.

(CNN) – After weeks of Democratic attacks on Republican Bob McDonnell's 20-year-old comments on women in the workplace, the GOP is going on the offensive in the Virginia governor's race, hitting Creigh Deeds over a public comment to a female reporter.

The Republican Governor's Association is launching a 30-second TV spot that points to the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's post-debate press conference last month, where he referred to a female reporter as "young lady."

"Did you catch that?" the ad asks, after showing the back-and-forth exchange. "It gets worse."

The commercial, which will air heavily across the state this week, comes after a major Democratic push to focus the race on views in McDonnell's thesis two decades ago. The Republican's recently-reported comments on working women and other social issues have become a lightning rod issue in the campaign, and are credited with helping Deeds close the gap with his GOP opponent over the closing months of the race.

McDonnell is also out with a positive ad promoting his plans to improve the state's transit system.

"Better roads mean better jobs," McDonnell says in the 30-second spot, set to run in Northern Virginia.

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Creigh Deeds • Popular Posts
  1. Marv...

She looks like a young lady. Are they serious? I can understand if he call Nancy Reagan a young lady, but this lady appears to be young. How much of a lady she is.... I don't know.

October 5, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. Joe Unger, San Francisco

I suppose it's not what he said but how he said it.
    The sanctimonious comments from the Republican bashers is truly disgusting. Talking about the kettle calling the pot black.

October 5, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. justmy2

Was he supposed to call her an old lady?

October 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. sniffiit

I sit around and blog all day. My biggest dream is to get the government to give me more of everything so I do not have to get a job. All of this is Bush's fault.

October 5, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. Alex

Perhaps Deeds was a bit condescending, but surely McDonnell's religious belief that women stay in the home, barefoot, pregnant, and subservient does a bit more to set back women's rights!

October 5, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. Winton from Alaska

I guess Deeds should have left out 'young' and just called her 'lady'.

October 5, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. Doc Ray

What's wrong with calling someone a "young lady"? GOP is clueless when it comes to what's appropriate. They probably have trouble differentiating between calling someone a "macaca" or "monkey" or comparing our Presiden to an African witch doctor and calling a woman "young lady."

How clueless can the Republican party be? Who's running this ad campaign? Glenn Beck?

October 5, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. zig

Sorry, I don't get what the big deal is

October 5, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Terry

I don't get it. Was Deeds talking to a guy?

October 5, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Ken in NC

I think it is an insult to call a young lady such. I remember wanting to pass for 35 when I was 25. How dare he compliment the "Young Lady". The Republican candidate got it right when he said in his thesis that women in the work force is detrimental to our economy. They should be home caring for all the kids they gonna have.

That is the Republican mindset. It is all they can offer. Calling a young lady "Young Lady" is a compliment. Republicans have not reached that part of the grammer book yet.

October 5, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Paul Ernest Show

These two candidates and their parties should find more substantive issues to run on or address, still there is a whole lot of difference between calling a lady "young" and denegrading women on the workplace.

October 5, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. Magoo

That's all the Repugnants got? Young lady? Seriously? Wow, they are really desperate.

October 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. LATINO FOR DEEDS -VA

This is the kind of politic that makes me vote for Democrats

October 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Jeff in Virginia

Calling out Deeds for a ham-fisted remark does not change the fact that McDonnell believes that women are second-class citizens who should stay barefoot and pregnant.

This is modern America, not the 14th century!

October 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. James M. Holmes

I always laugh how the GOP can fake outrage and they all seem to cry and whine on cue about nothing...

Talk about grasping at straws!

But, of course, pay no attention to McDonnell's idea that all women should be barefoot and pregnent and at work – in the kitchen!!!

October 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  16. Sabrina

Are you people all crazy??????? I't was the way he said it!!!!

October 5, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. Liberal4Obama

The McDonnell campaigns internal polling must be showing he is in DEEP TROUBLE those kinda attacks show desperation on his part. If I was Craig Deeds I would be feeling pretty good McDonnell has to resort to fake outrage and smear tactics.

October 5, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. AB

ahhh lets see "working women and feminists as "detrimental" to the family" vs a young lady comment
    Robert F. McDonnell is a Neanderthal i would rather vote for a toad than vote for the GOP

October 5, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. al in memphis

A few months ago, there was a urgent request by the GOP for new, fresh thinkers to come join the party. If this is an example of the results, then they probably need to up their standards and start including 1st graders.

October 5, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. Ahh Republicans..

I've been called a "young lady" before (and i'm at the ripe old age of 30)... and I don't consider it Offensive AT ALL. Especially coming from someone 15+ years older then me.

No, what I find offensive is someone writing a thesis about how everyones lives would be so much better if I would just sit at home, barefoot & pregnant while keeping my house clean and waiting on my husband hand & foot to keep the children quiet so he has a relaxing evening after such a "hard" day at work.

If this is the best the GOP has, they're in for a lot of trouble...

October 5, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. Bridgette-PA

Let's see....calling a young lady a "Young Lady" is now...wrong?? WOW! If this is all they've got......BRING IT!

October 5, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Carmela, Longwood, Florida

"Young lady" is now a derogatory remark? In which planet? WOW!!! This is getting scarier and scarier.

October 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |