October 7th, 2009

DeLay calls it quits

An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.
An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Tom DeLay's dancing days have come to an end.

While miraculously escaping another round of elimination on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Tuesday night, the former Republican House majority leader voluntarily withdrew from the widely-watched competition on recommendations from his doctor and the show's producers.

The man once known as "The Hammer" on Capitol Hill said he was just too injured to continue, developing stress fractures in both his feet that made it very difficult to endure the rigors of the competition.

Delay originally remained defiant in the face of such pain, declaring last week, "nothing's going to stop me from doing this dance." But this week's round of competition proved too taxing on the 62 year-old, evidenced by a wince-inducing performance Monday of the samba to War's "Why can't we be friends."

In the end, the man who gave in to few fights in Washington had to call it quits on the ABC hit series.

"If you can't practice, you make a fool of yourself out here," DeLay said. "I don't want to do that to [my dancing partner] Cheryl."

Carried out on wheelbarrow on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Tuesday night, DeLay appeared slightly embarrassed over the development: "A boy from Texas breaking his feet dancing...," he said to laughter.

Still though, DeLay remained confident his skills could have carried him forward.

"Can you shake your booty like I can?" Delay asked a skeptical Kimmel.

Asked if he his performance will inspire other indicted politicians to dance, Delay - who was charged with criminal violations of state campaign finance laws but never convicted - said "hey, it keeps you out of jail."

"But God for bid if you end up in jail, it's not a good thing for the inmates to see on reruns," Kimmel replied.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Tom DeLay
  1. J.Crobuzon

Like Palin, he quit. Big deal, and did she really say "This is no time to get cold feet" about Obama? She has no more idea of what 'ironic' means than Alanis Morrisette.

October 7, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  2. Republicans are the American Taliban

Will that affect his ability to toe tap at the airport?

October 7, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. Jack in Florida

Finally! He was an embarrassment...............is he that hard up for money??

October 7, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Richard L

Even having as little respect for him as a person as I do, I must admit he made a valiant effort.

October 7, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. J.Crobuzon

I'm pitching a new show; it combines Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, and So You Think You Can Dance. I'm calling it "So You Think You Can Dance With Those Scars?"

October 7, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. Smiling here!

Worst group of DWTS competitors in as long as I can remember.

October 7, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. John

Do I really need to comment on this. Looks like "the Hammer" got nailed. My apologies to anyone that already suggested this pun.

October 7, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  8. joe nocareorjob

I guess his health care package (and our tax dollars) will pay to patch him up. We would still be lying there.

October 7, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. Jkay - KCMO

News flash............Palin/Delay 2012!!!

Campaign slogans..........Pitbull that Quits and When my feet hurt "I" quit. Is that going "rogue"?

October 7, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. susan

he tried but he did not conquer! you have to give the guy credit even if you dont like him or his political views..he did have an excellent partner however who choreographed fo his abiltiy (or lack of) as a dancer...

October 7, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Gaston

Hey, Tom all that fancy dancing won't keep the Feds from pressing charges & lock you up. Save all that energy in case you need to do some dancing in the Federal penitentiary,

October 7, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  12. Rennee' Hernandez, Fillmore, CA

OK, he's gone, I can watch the show now.

October 7, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  13. P.Y. Los Angeles

And this is what press called "Liberals"?
    You, people,behaving like a bunch of attack dogs.
    At least He tried.
    And what are you doing?
    Barking from behind the screen?

October 7, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  14. Foreigner that watches? CA

C'mon seriously. Insulting the guy for trying unsuccessfully to compete through stress fractures.

Partisanship is a full-time sport apparently...

October 7, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  15. Victim of conservative ignorance..Texas..

The less we see of him and Bush, the quicker my state can hold it's head up again. The dixie chicks were right about Bush. DeLay is worse because he is too smart to be unaware of how corrupt and damaging his gang on the hill were. I can actually believe Bush was not paying attention.

October 7, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. walleye

Welcome to the party of quitters. Now that he is through with DWTS, maybe he should go directly to jail. Do not pass GO.

October 7, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. LacrosseMom

I feel sorry for Delay, he totally making a fool of himself. Talk about EGO!

October 7, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Stu

CNN, why is this news? Who cares??????

October 7, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. beevee

what a joke this guy is.

October 7, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. Dan, TX

Do I like or respect Tom Delay. Of course not. But I'm sorry his feet hurt. Get better soon, Tom!

October 7, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. Republicans are the American Taliban

Dancing with the quitters....

October 7, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Republicans are the American Taliban

Winners never quit....quitters never win....

October 7, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |