October 7th, 2009

DeLay calls it quits

An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.
An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Tom DeLay's dancing days have come to an end.

While miraculously escaping another round of elimination on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Tuesday night, the former Republican House majority leader voluntarily withdrew from the widely-watched competition on recommendations from his doctor and the show's producers.

The man once known as "The Hammer" on Capitol Hill said he was just too injured to continue, developing stress fractures in both his feet that made it very difficult to endure the rigors of the competition.

Delay originally remained defiant in the face of such pain, declaring last week, "nothing's going to stop me from doing this dance." But this week's round of competition proved too taxing on the 62 year-old, evidenced by a wince-inducing performance Monday of the samba to War's "Why can't we be friends."

In the end, the man who gave in to few fights in Washington had to call it quits on the ABC hit series.

"If you can't practice, you make a fool of yourself out here," DeLay said. "I don't want to do that to [my dancing partner] Cheryl."

Carried out on wheelbarrow on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Tuesday night, DeLay appeared slightly embarrassed over the development: "A boy from Texas breaking his feet dancing...," he said to laughter.

Still though, DeLay remained confident his skills could have carried him forward.

"Can you shake your booty like I can?" Delay asked a skeptical Kimmel.

Asked if he his performance will inspire other indicted politicians to dance, Delay - who was charged with criminal violations of state campaign finance laws but never convicted - said "hey, it keeps you out of jail."

"But God for bid if you end up in jail, it's not a good thing for the inmates to see on reruns," Kimmel replied.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Tom DeLay
  1. la austin

See what stomping all over the Constitution will do to your feet?

October 7, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Mickey, NY

Another republican quitter joins the Palin ranks...

October 7, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  3. B

This idiot should be in prison....

October 7, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  4. R

It was embarrassing just to watch him. Is DWTS really so desperate for 'stars' that it needs to dredge up indicted felons?

October 7, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  5. Sarah

Republican Baffoon.

October 7, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  6. Adalbert

This idiot DeLay should be in a mental institution.

October 7, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. Diana

Lame... on SO many levels.

October 7, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. Independent_me

He was a HORRIBLE dancer...
    Nothing is more embarrassing and nauseating than watching an over-the-hill old man making like he is a young graceful stud. His partner was stunning and I think that she should be given some kind of award for being able to stomach, and be a part of, the fiasco.
    I am so glad that he is gone!!!!

October 7, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. Aunt Bea and Opie

He should get wheelbarreled right to prison,along with Rush Limbaugh for tax evasion.

October 7, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  10. Expat American

My tax dollars better not have paid for that wheelbarrow....

October 7, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Maybe Boob Palin can replace him and quit again.....

October 7, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  12. Steve (the real one)

There is a difference bewteen coward and quitter (if you want to use that term).

Quitters = actually start and for whatever reason don't or can't (in Delay's case) finish

Cowards = actually never start but yammer at those who do!

October 7, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. Stacey

What a jerk! Can't stand him. Glad he's finally gone. Now I can watch and enjoy the show again.

October 7, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Terry from West Texas

As a Texan whose state was gerrymandered by Delay so a Republican majority could do as much damage to the nation as possible, I feel about him like I would feel about a man who beat up my sister.

I don't want to see his face, hear him talk, see him dance, or know that he exists. I don't even want to vote against him because I'd have to look at his name on the ballot.

October 7, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  15. MsDp

why is this NEWS?!!!!!!

October 7, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  16. Zach K

I may not have liked him, but I hope he gets well soon. :)

October 7, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. sms29s

I can't stand the man, he looked ridiculous, but I have to give him a thumbs up for having the guts to compete in the first place.

October 7, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. gg

reminds me of dick chenny and his wheel chair so he would,nt have to stand up in front of a black president phoney

October 7, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. Pete East

Delay was charged with a campaign finance tactic that was not considered a crime at the time he did it. He took his lumps and resigned his congressional seat and that was the end of any prosecution.

Good to see that the libs are spewing nothing but hateful remarks and sweeping ad-homonym attacks against anyone that they see as opposing them. Keep that up until 2010 and 2012. It is an excellent way to galvanize your opposition.

October 7, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  20. Charlotte E., Texas

For goodness sake!! Give the man a break!!

October 7, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  21. Dixon

He must have attended the Sara Palin Motivational Seminar where it is expected that you quit before the job is complete.

October 7, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  22. Peter

Delay showed that you can be the so called conservative and have fun!! way to go old man!!

October 7, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  23. republicans hate america

cutting and running that is what the Rush Limbaugh Party do

October 7, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. Greg in MO

Too bad Obama won't quit dancing with indecisivenss.

October 7, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Frank, Las Vegas

I guess quitting is a GOP thing huh.

October 7, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |