October 7th, 2009

DeLay calls it quits

An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.
An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Tom DeLay's dancing days have come to an end.

While miraculously escaping another round of elimination on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Tuesday night, the former Republican House majority leader voluntarily withdrew from the widely-watched competition on recommendations from his doctor and the show's producers.

The man once known as "The Hammer" on Capitol Hill said he was just too injured to continue, developing stress fractures in both his feet that made it very difficult to endure the rigors of the competition.

Delay originally remained defiant in the face of such pain, declaring last week, "nothing's going to stop me from doing this dance." But this week's round of competition proved too taxing on the 62 year-old, evidenced by a wince-inducing performance Monday of the samba to War's "Why can't we be friends."

In the end, the man who gave in to few fights in Washington had to call it quits on the ABC hit series.

"If you can't practice, you make a fool of yourself out here," DeLay said. "I don't want to do that to [my dancing partner] Cheryl."

Carried out on wheelbarrow on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Tuesday night, DeLay appeared slightly embarrassed over the development: "A boy from Texas breaking his feet dancing...," he said to laughter.

Still though, DeLay remained confident his skills could have carried him forward.

"Can you shake your booty like I can?" Delay asked a skeptical Kimmel.

Asked if he his performance will inspire other indicted politicians to dance, Delay - who was charged with criminal violations of state campaign finance laws but never convicted - said "hey, it keeps you out of jail."

"But God for bid if you end up in jail, it's not a good thing for the inmates to see on reruns," Kimmel replied.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Tom DeLay
  1. Deb n Texas

He should not have been on that show to begin with. However, that is what poor losers do – they find a good excuse to quit before they lose.

October 7, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. We Won Get Over It

Trying to be macho doesn't work sometimes. I think he did the right thing to drop out. He might have hurt himself and been disabled for the rest of his life. Even tho he is a scroundle of the first kind I hope he gets better soon.

October 7, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. Fenarkleman

Hey, maybe he can use some healthcare to treat his injured foot. Oh, wait. That's right. He's a far right wing conservative. No healthcare for you. Darn!

October 7, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. republicans hate america

thats how they are in texas always talk the talk but never walk it. cowards

October 7, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. Lady Dee

Whatever, my post has nothing to do with Tom Delay. However, because CNN seems not to want to recognize good news relevant to our President.

Let the record show that President Obama's favorabilitly rating is up by 6% according to the AP poll.

I'm a Huffington Post fan, as they seem to be on top of breaking news and ensuring that it is dissimilated to the public in a timely manner.

October 7, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. The Film Professor

I am not exactly a fan of the former congressman, but I applaud his efforts on the dance floor. He was one of those people I thought had absolutely no sense of humor and who would never risk potentially looking foolish, but I am reminded of the words from that song "If you've the chance, to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance". We all should do more dancing, and less shouting at each other over political differences.

October 7, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. awaitingmoderationby CNN

More nasty comments from the fruitcakes on the left who cannot tell reality from what they see on television is reflected in the comments you see. At least he didn't vacillate while more died and run off to Copehagen with Oprah while men died in Afghanistan, or try to steal billions of tax dollars for ACORN/SEIU.

October 7, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. isabella

I agree! Send Delay right to Jail.....!!!

October 7, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Mike Buck

He should be in a jail cell with Scooter, another corrupt Republican who escaped justice.

October 7, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. R in Maine

He always was a quitter unless he could find some way to steal money.

October 7, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  11. Delay is fay

I gotta say that Delay looked a little....how do I say it.....gay in his dancing. My gay friends think he definitely plays for their team, if you know what I mean. But that's OK. Just another republican confused about his sexuality. Maybe his next job (before he goes to jail) should be to go work with Newt and his hookers group...or maybe he can hire Ensign's lobbyist/girlfriend's husband Hampton to help get another job in Washington. These republicans are amazing......the funky stuff just keeps on coming!

October 7, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  12. CR

Ok twinkle toes, now that you know how to shake your booty, when you go to the BIG house you will meet the real HAMMER.

October 7, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. liz

I'm not upset with DeLay for being on the show or for quitting, sensibly, when he got hurt. I'm upset with DWTS for such an extremely poor choice of contestants. If John Gotti was still alive, would they have asked him to be a contestant? Which criminal will be next?

October 7, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  14. masansi kasera

thank God another GOP is out of the picture! my prayers have been answered!

October 7, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. Robert

Democrats will not do dancing with the stars. They are too busy fudging their income tax returms.

October 7, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. midwest

I'll tell you what was painful, watching him dance. If you could call it that. A few seconds of that was all I could stand. It will take sometime for me to recover from the mental scaring, but in time I'll be fine.

October 7, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  17. Ron

Well maybe if they let him dance on his butt he would have made it. He was on his butt most of the time in D.C. He is another one of the buttheads from that administration.

October 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. Nurse Lisa

Because he is not "old" he should have his bone density checked if he recently fractured both feet just by dancing – luckily he has good health care.

October 7, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  19. Ruty

Let's face it. Tom Delay made a fool of himself. I almost threw up when he shook is ass. I believe he really thought he was cute. How Sad.

October 7, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. dick delson

He is such a loser. He failed in Congress and now on the dance floor. What's next? Ping Pong.

October 7, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  21. Dean

Following in Ms. Palin's footsteps is this a New GOP tactic?

October 7, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. Lisa in Shelton

So much for racheting up interest with their lackluster stud finders; the Hammer failed to level the playing field and so, we can file this nut with the other tools.

October 7, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  23. jay

Oddities always attract viewers. A 61 year old dancing politician is an oddity, like the woman in Britain was an oddity. Let's call a spade a spade. Like a clown at a side show, he exited in a wheel barrow.

October 7, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  24. Franky, Land of Lincoln

That's funny and I don't know, I bet some of our politicians do got some game in the Dancing scene.

Maybe a lil Dancing can get em of politics and just relax. Now that would be cool...and funny.

Pretty good by Delay.

October 7, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  25. Doublemint

Just proof that politicians don't use either their heads or feet in Washington... That only leaves the other part they sit on..

October 7, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |