October 7th, 2009

DeLay calls it quits

An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.
An injured DeLay had to call it quits on Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Tom DeLay's dancing days have come to an end.

While miraculously escaping another round of elimination on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Tuesday night, the former Republican House majority leader voluntarily withdrew from the widely-watched competition on recommendations from his doctor and the show's producers.

The man once known as "The Hammer" on Capitol Hill said he was just too injured to continue, developing stress fractures in both his feet that made it very difficult to endure the rigors of the competition.

Delay originally remained defiant in the face of such pain, declaring last week, "nothing's going to stop me from doing this dance." But this week's round of competition proved too taxing on the 62 year-old, evidenced by a wince-inducing performance Monday of the samba to War's "Why can't we be friends."

In the end, the man who gave in to few fights in Washington had to call it quits on the ABC hit series.

"If you can't practice, you make a fool of yourself out here," DeLay said. "I don't want to do that to [my dancing partner] Cheryl."

Carried out on wheelbarrow on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Tuesday night, DeLay appeared slightly embarrassed over the development: "A boy from Texas breaking his feet dancing...," he said to laughter.

Still though, DeLay remained confident his skills could have carried him forward.

"Can you shake your booty like I can?" Delay asked a skeptical Kimmel.

Asked if he his performance will inspire other indicted politicians to dance, Delay - who was charged with criminal violations of state campaign finance laws but never convicted - said "hey, it keeps you out of jail."

"But God for bid if you end up in jail, it's not a good thing for the inmates to see on reruns," Kimmel replied.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Tom DeLay
  1. T.G.

The fact that Delay was even on the show in the first place show how far he has fallen from grace since his political career ended.

October 7, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. Doug, New Jersey

The people who want to see Delay, Palin, and Limbaugh locked up are the same ones who want all the corrupt ACORN libs, Chicago cronies, Union thugs, and people like Roman Polanski to go free.

The fact is that you support them and their emotional, hate-filled, partisan desires superceeding law, justice, facts, and fairness mentality and way of life each and everytime you vote Democrat.

Republicans have their issues, that's for sure. However, do you harp on how evil a speeder is yet believe that a murderer should be set free? Really, that is how it is when you go after the right and ignore the real problem, liberal Democrats.

October 7, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. ray

that what republicans are good at, QUITTING AND SAYING NO TO EVERYTHING>

October 7, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Liberals,democrats, progressives are nice.

October 7, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. No More Republicant's Needed

Hopefully now we'll stop having to see little clips of his "dancing" on every news show on the tube! Seriously . . . I threw up in my mouth a little every time I had to see that . . . ewww!

October 7, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  6. Gloria, El Paso, TX

I think it was wrong of him wearing a shirt with the republican emblem on the back of his shirt. Dancing with the Stars is not a political show where he has to be representing the republican party . The show should not have allowed this . Who cares what his political party prefernce is. Too bad , so sad that he is off the show. Apparently he is not used to working the honest way to win something, huh? He was never going to make it anyway. like he didn't make it in the political arena. Poor cheryl, for having to dance with such a loser.
    Oh, by the way , I hope his feet get well.

October 7, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. aerie

The man was idiotic dancer and made himself a target for even more jokes. He deserves what he gets. He should be dancing in prison.

October 7, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  8. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Really? This is on the ticker because DeLay is a has-been, failed politician?

I'm eating Ramen noodles (again) for lunch today.

Put that on the ticker, CNN.

Incredulous!

October 7, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. EBJ

too bad she didn't step on his foot to add to his misery. Sorry but I live in Texas and I have NO use for Tom Delay at all.

October 7, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. Willy Brown

Good run Tom.

October 7, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. Jackson

who cares?

October 7, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. John

Perhaps DeLay tripped over a pile of his indictments and ethics violations.

October 7, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  13. Bluskys

Why worry about making a fool of yourself practicing dance if you recall you made a big fool of yourself long before the dancing ever began we have not forgotten you Looser Looser .

October 7, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. Jar

Golly, I think CNN has confused Politics with Entertainment. Oops wait, I think that just might be a contradiction in terms. In my opinion, this should be reported in entertainment, not become a political controversial issue.

Rhythm? I think DeLay missed the boat there – some people just aren't made to dance and DeLay is one of them.

October 7, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. Chad

When did people assume that use clever little derogatory variations of Repulican and Democrat were clever? To people that "craft" these little gems, you seriously don't realize how moronic and juvenile it sounds? Much less coming from an adult?

October 7, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. An Independent Hillary

Give this man a break. I am a liberal Hillary Democrat, but I thought Tom Delay was a good sport on Dancing With The Stars and fun to watch in a train wreck sort of way. You criticizing people try to dance with two feet fractures.

And notice that he was not eliminated last night. Not sure how much longer he would have lasted on the show before being voted off, but why risk permanent injury?

October 7, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  17. Rick CT

I'd like to see any of the critical libs try to dance with 2 broken feet. Ooops, I guess they dance really well, with or without feet.

Gee gang, this was just all in good fun, but it sounds like some libs take themselves so seriously, they've completely lost their sense of fun. I hope someday (soon – like after Nov. 2010), Nancy Pelosi gets a shot at Dancing with the Stars.

October 7, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  18. Charlie in Maine

Man oh man where was that wheel-barrow back in the 1990s? This guy should have been carted off years ago, I don't mind him dancin' but I was wondering "who was the "Star" he was dancin with?

October 7, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

And they called this dude 'The Hammer'? What a wimp!

October 7, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. vick

hahahaha this is funny... GOP/JOKE

October 7, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  21. Ken

Tom Delay, meet Sarah Palin. Sarah, meet Tom. You guys have a lot in common, not the least of which is that your uber-partisan rightwing fantasy world is a cancer on America.

October 7, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  22. RAG

Too bad. I don't wish pain on the guy, just prison time.

October 7, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Kudos To Tom Delay

I'm not a fan of his, but I give him credit for going on the show and giving it a shot. I think he did fine. Everything does not have to be about politics. The real heroinne is Cheryl Burke because she made him look like a dancer.

Kudos to both of them.

October 7, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  24. pip

forbid not for bid

October 7, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  25. Proud Boulder Liberal

Hello Mr. Delay:

Here is wishing you a speedy recovery!

I may not agree with you on politics, but yes... you are a great sport.

I would be screaming by now!

Very best wishes,