October 9th, 2009

McCain says Nobel award based on expectations

(CNN) - Arizona Sen. John McCain said Friday the Nobel Committee's decision to award President Obama the Peace Prize was likely based on expectations, not accomplishments.

"I can't divine all their intentions, but I think part of their decision-making was expectations," McCain told CNN's John King. "And I'm sure the president understands that he now has even more to live up to."

But Obama's former rival for the White House said he was happy with the decision.

"I think all of us were surprised at the decision," he said. "But I think Americans are always pleased when their president is recognized by something on this order."

John King's full interview with McCain will air Sunday on State of Union at 9 a.m. ET.

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. Dont blame me

For Obama to receive the Nobel Peace prize, ( he was only in office for 9 days before the voting cut off date ) just goes to show how CHEAP the prize is.

I mean, what did he do to DESERVE the prize after only being in office for 10 days???? Obama only spent 100 days as a US Senator.

Ther is only one word for the Nobel Peace prize now, CHEAP.

Just think what all Kissenger did to earn it.

October 9, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. andy

McCain is right. Obama has accomplished nothing. He is a failure on the wars we are fighting. His stimulas was a joke. His attempt to socialize medicine is more scary than funny. Of course, McCain will be called names for saying anything about the dems chosen messiah, the great Obama.

October 9, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. Jackie in Dallas

Now, that is a nice, measured response from the "old" John McCain, the John McCain I could have voted for; the one who realizes that the President represents our country to the world.

And yes, the decisions are based on expectations...most are. When the Nobel Committee awards prizes to medical researchers, it is not only for what they have done, but the effects on the future that their research can engender.

October 9, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. rr

Show some guts, Senator.

This prize is a slap in the face to the peace and human rights activists who risk their lives and freedom every day in Russia, China, Myanmar, Sudan, Somalia, Venezeula, Iran, Cuba and other places.

This prize was given to Obama for words, not actions. Name one place on the entire planet that has more peace or human rights because of President Obama.

October 9, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. Tom C in NY

a rather classy comment by McCain, I must say,

October 9, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  6. Mark S.

McCain obviously didn't see the RNC response. They, as Republican Americans, were NOT pleased that "their president is recognized by something on this order." They cheered the loss of the Olympics, and jeer the President winning the Nobel Prize. Whose side are they on? Why do they keep comforting the enemy by attacking our Commander in Chief? If "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", then the RNC and Osama bin Laden must be best buddies by now.

October 9, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  7. Dave

I guess McCain didn't get the memo that Republicans are supposed to denounce every Obama victory and celebrate every failure. "But I think Americans are always pleased when their president is recognized by something on this order." Really Senator McCain? That sounds downright patriotic. I'm not sure how long the RNC will put up with that kind of thing.

October 9, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  8. sandy

Thank you Mr. McCain. It's too bad other Republicans can't stand up for their President. It's sad that these people act the way they do. I will remember their actions when I go into the voting booth. This country belongs to all of us.

October 9, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  9. Paul

McCain, you are not a God, thus you can't divine anything. And we all pretty much understand, to you the Orwellian saying Peace = War is how you equate. At least you recognize this award is an honor, but do you understand why you could never receive such an honor yourself? I am not sure that this award is warranted, but we definately have a less hostile adminstration in office at this time, that prefers diplomacy over thuggary.

October 9, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  10. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, North Carolina

If they're giving out awards based on expectations, I think they should award my son a 2014 Winter Olympics Pairs Figure Skating medal–his principal coach, an Olympic medalist herself, thinks it's possible. And my daughter, according to the same coach, has a similarly good shot at the 2014 Ladies medals.

October 9, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  11. Colleen

Very classey response. Way to go Mr McCain. Tell your fellow GOP'ers they should do the same.

October 9, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  12. Fools and their freedoms are soon parted

True. now maybe POTUS will do more than appear on Letterman.

October 9, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  13. Only 23% of the country approve of Republican'ts in Congress

Any American who is NOT pleased to have their president receive an honor like this is anti-American in my opinion! I don't care what your politics are, there are times when Americans need to put partisan politics aside and pull together for the good of the country and THIS is one of those times! To have a president who is awarded an honor such as this after 8 long years of having a president who was REVILED by most of the world is something every singel American should be proud of and again, in my opinion, if you're NOT proud of it then you should just leave this country!

October 9, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  14. I Support President Obama!

It is hilarious watching rethuglicans foaming at the mouth. What makes people hate so much? Here at work they are almost dying and good for them! Congratulations President Obama! You deserve a peace prize just putting up with the rethuglicans your first year in office!

October 9, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  15. Ted Tartaglia

John McCain is not long for the Repub party. Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Steele, and others of their ilk will ban him from the party for such outrageous support of our President.

October 9, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  16. Doug

YES Sir, we are all pleased for our president to win Nobel.

October 9, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. Veteran of War

Finally a straight talker, a soldier that thinks before he talks and can recognize the intention of the award where other cannot

October 9, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  18. sheslovin

Your missing the point of the award. It's for bringing peace to the world, not fixing America's financial problems. Obama's speeches have helped bring peace talks to the table. We should be proud this president is getting the Nobel Peace Prize and not getting shoes thrown at him.

October 9, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  19. Ric In Pennsylvania

Sour grapes. Nothing more. It's a sure bet had McCain won, he wouldn't be getting any prizes unless it was for picking the most stupid running mate.

October 9, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  20. Mike

We would be pleased if he had accomplished something positive. He has only quadrupled our debt and deficit to the delight of third world countries. He has weakened us in world standing and I only hope we can survive long enough for elections in 2010 and 2012.

October 9, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  21. Eliza

For once, McCain uses his own reasoning powers, can see things for what they are . . . not his party's usual negative persuasions, and gets it said, before the bosses shut him up.
    He does have more positive contributions, no matter if siding with the Democrats or the Republicans. And, best of all, can express his own views, after all.

October 9, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  22. Death Assurance Companies

John,just go back to your nap,making sure you and your VP nut job,Sarah, didnt get elected was enough to gain the prize.You and Glinda would have started WWIII by now.

October 9, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  23. RNC = DNC = politics as usual

Prison camps still open.
    Torture redefined.
    Sending more trrops abroad.
    Continuing two major wars.

How does that qualify?

Just like his wild campaign promises that went no where, this will drop his poll numbers even farther.

October 9, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  24. Kim

John, you fooled me.. good job.
    I know that was hard but was well said.

October 9, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  25. Post always rejected by CNN as well

Hey Johnny boy, just congratulate the president and leave it like that. No need to go into speculation. 'And from the tone of your voice, it doesn't sound like you're all that thrilled about it.

Too bad you'll never get the Nobel Peace Prize. LOL!

October 9, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |